Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruse control / TACC / Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a newbie question regarding cruise control, TACC, and/or auto pilot… I’m hoping for delivery of my MYLR in middle March. I’ve been reading a lot about potential concerns with TACC. My first question is can you have cruise control functionality without engaging The camera-driven traffic aware functionality of TACC? My understanding is that if you have TACC operational the lane hold option of auto pilot and the auto headlight dim are both forced to be on. If this is the case, I’d there is a way to have cruise control without TACC; as a simple dumb “non-aware of what’s ahead of you“ style of cruise control. Fully understand I may be a bit confused about all this. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a newbie question regarding cruise control, TACC, and/or auto pilot… I’m hoping for delivery of my MYLR in middle March. I’ve been reading a lot about potential concerns with TACC. My first question is can you have cruise control functionality without engaging The camera-driven traffic aware functionality of TACC? My understanding is that if you have TACC operational the lane hold option of auto pilot and the auto headlight dim are both forced to be on. If this is the case, I’d there is a way to have cruise control without TACC; as a simple dumb “non-aware of what’s ahead of you“ style of cruise control. Fully understand I may be a bit confused about all this. Any help would be appreciated.

You are a bit off in your understanding. Here is a simple break down:

Dumb cruise control? NOPE, not even an option.
TACC without lane centering? Yup. This gives adaptive cruise function with a crap load of safety features that are not perfected yet but hopefully will be over time. My opinions of this system are detailed in other threads on the subject of phantom braking.
TACC with lane hold (basic Auto Pilot) Yup. Everything you get from TACC plus really good lane centering. This will force the use of auto windshield wipers (no way to switch to manual, but work OK most of the time) and auto high beam headlights (these suck, but you can turn them off with the headlight stalk).

Keith

Upvote 0
You can use TACC without auto steering and auto headlights. Works well on open roads and in stop and go traffic under about 45. There is no basic CC that just holds speed without traffic aware function.

We get about 2 phantom braking events every 3-4 hours (road trip on divided highway) usually at a color change in the road surface, or weird terrain.

In late afternoon sun, with shadows all over the road, we can get 2 per mile. I just don't use it then.

2 lane highways, almost unusable. Need high amount of manual over riding all the time, with oncoming trucks and other traffic.

Have not tried out the latest software update, supposed to be much improved.

No one else has an integrated charging network anywhere close to Tesla's, and they'll be years before there's any parity.

The Y is really easy to maintain speed, I don't see a lot of difference in fatigue with or without cruise control engaged.

I bet by March it will be pretty well sorted out.

Reactions: jbarnum
Upvote 0
You can use TACC without auto steering and auto headlights. Works well on open roads and in stop and go traffic under about 45. There is no basic CC that just holds speed without traffic aware function.

We get about 2 phantom braking events every 3-4 hours (road trip on divided highway) usually at a color change in the road surface, or weird terrain.

In late afternoon sun, with shadows all over the road, we can get 2 per mile. I just don't use it then.

2 lane highways, almost unusable. Need high amount of manual over riding all the time, with oncoming trucks and other traffic.

Have not tried out the latest software update, supposed to be much improved.

No one else has an integrated charging network anywhere close to Tesla's, and they'll be years before there's any parity.

The Y is really easy to maintain speed, I don't see a lot of difference in fatigue with or without cruise control engaged.

I bet by March it will be pretty well sorted out.
My sentiment exactly. We have a Kia Niro EV as well, and it does allow dumbing down the TA, as well as adjusting the regen. After a full charge it even says the range is 323–I paid a lot for the equivalent on the Y. But, I love everything about our Y, creature comforts, supercharger network, tow package, like-minded community forum. The cruise control scariness, however, gives me great pause. I’m going to abstain from using it until they fix it.

Reactions: OxBrew
Upvote 0