Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curb rash happened in the first day drive...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brand new car, first time tesla owner, speechless... So anyone has ideas of is this kinda curb rash gonna damage the rim or tire? Or just cosmetic? Googled and said should do alignment and maybe replace wheel... Any comments appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• mmexport1635180812233.jpg
    mmexport1635180812233.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 993
  • mmexport1635183239683.jpg
    mmexport1635183239683.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 444
Brand new car, first time tesla owner, speechless... So anyone has ideas of is this kinda curb rash gonna damage the rim or tire? Or just cosmetic? Googled and said should do alignment and maybe replace wheel... Any comments appreciated, thanks.
I sympathize, has similar happen within a few days of owning.

Fortunately you don’t have to worry about the rim getting damaged, it doesn’t look it, but that’s a hubcap on top of the actual rim that is damaged.

Or if it really bothers you, you can probably find a wheel repair place that makes it look brand new. There's one here in Chicago that charges $70 and it takes about 30min. Like new afterwards.

Thanks! I actually do not care much if it's just cosmetic. It's just when I googled it and tire blowout and suspension damage and needs re alignment these words came out which frustrated me... I even set up a service appointment in tesla app but that's at the end of Nov... I saw some diy videos maybe I should try these and cancel my tesla service appointment.

This is why I’m very glad I didn’t order sport wheels on my Model 3. I’ve curbed the rear passenger rim 3 times thus far. When I trade my car, I can replace that rim for far less than the 19 inch sport wheel.

I feel your pain but that's nothing! That's cosmetic for sure and it can be fixed. A reputable wheel repair shop will have that sorted with no issue.

This likely won't be the first time this happens.
Thanks. I think I have car service phobic. In years, I had bad experience with midas, moroun, ford and suby dealers... So my first reaction is always to diy if possible. But it's good to know this time is not some serious damages.

I feel your pain but that's nothing! That's cosmetic for sure and it can be fixed. A reputable wheel repair shop will have that sorted with no issue.

This likely won't be the first time this happens.
Thanks. I think I have car service phobic. In years, I had bad experience with midas, moroun, ford and suby dealers... So my first reaction is always to diy if possible. But it's good to know this time is not some serious damage
This is why I’m very glad I didn’t order sport wheels on my Model 3. I’ve curbed the rear passenger rim 3 times thus far. When I trade my car, I can replace that rim for far less than the 19 inch sport wheel.
Em... It's the standard equipped, I did not upgrade any...

Reactions: hcdavis3
Thanks. I think I have car service phobic. In years, I had bad experience with midas, moroun, ford and suby dealers... So my first reaction is always to diy if possible. But it's good to know this time is not some serious damage

Em... It's the standard equipped, I did not upgrade any...
When I ordered my car 18 inch Aeros was the standard included wheel. 19 inch sport wheels was a 1500 dollar option. Still there in the configurator.

I wonder why Tesla doen't use wheels a little bit narrow, which could avoid getting curb rash?

Doing a quick search on Tirerack.com I tried to compare others vehicules with similar tires sizes, such as for example:

Model Y LR:
- Tires: 255 x 45 x 19
- Wheels set: 19 x 9.5

Audi Q7 2.0T Premium
- Tires: 255 x 55 x 19
- Wheels set: 19 x 8.5

Does using narrower wheels, like 8.5 instead of 9.5 could be still safe enough, and would reduce curb rash issues?

Reactions: xls_
I tried to imagine rashing 3 wheels at one time but failed to figure out? How did it happen?
I don't know how exactly, not that it was all at the same time or at least I hope not. Front left has a 2in gash exposing metal. Front right has a rather long half wheel circumfurence curb rash exposing metal. The right rear is light with red paint transfer. I'll have to get some metal putty aka SteelStik to fill the bad damage then paint, sigh.

It happens. I just saw that the wife rashed 3 wheels of her fairly still new MYP. Luckily I bookmarked the thread for paint matching the MYP wheels. o_O
I'm not found of black wheels, because curb rash are very noticeable.

I would prefer getting silver color wheels like the ones the Model 3 had in the past.
But not the Model 3 and and the Model Y are black, and I realy dislike the plastic covers, even the new one.