Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curb Rash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow. That's really cheap. I have a mobile service guy coming today, I'll ask him to confirm this.

I had rash repaired on one of my rims in greater Denver area about 6-7 years ago. Guy came to my house, wet sanded the rim, applied paint that matched perfectly and then clear-coated it. You couldn't even tell anything had ever happened to it. Cost me around $90 if I remember correctly.

Another option, although might not be available for Model-3 just yet is there are companies that will send you a repaired rim, then you send your damaged rim back to them. I did this about 10 years ago on one of my cars, the "repaired" rim they sent me was perfect. I think my net out of pocket for that including shipping was around $220 but the cost of that particular rim from the manufacturer was about $400 so it was still a pretty good deal.

Reactions: FlyErik
I used this touch up paint I bought on eBay to repair my wife’s Model 3 Wheels twice. Very easy. I’m a novice.
Wheel Touch Up Paint for Tesla Sonic Carbon 21 19 Gray Touchup Model S X 3 Pen | eBay
9CEC6B01-022D-42FE-ADFD-9AD17F6783B2.jpeg

I recommend you use a multi tool to smooth out the texture.
Oscillating Multi-Tool
EB04D760-696A-4063-B413-F28B695D9718.jpeg

Doesn’t have to be perfect, just not as noticeable. It’s likely to happen again.
Here’s the touched up wheel.
0E9382C0-90F2-4F00-9E29-2D12BEB4273A.jpeg

best is to look up on yelp and send out multiple quote requests. in the bay area youre looking at $125 - $175. If its less than 1" id just use touchup paint and when you do a few layers, it'll fill in the scratch while coving it sufficiently. With a little brake dust, you wont notice it much.

I think that curb rash is much harder in a Model 3 with standard wheels than any of my previous cars. The sensors, tire profile, and back up camera make this much less likely if you pay attention.

Funny because I didn't curb my previous car (2006 Acura TSX, which has NONE of those features) once in the 12 years I owned it. I've curbed the Model 3 twice already in 4 months...

Also amusing, is that every Model 3 I've seen in person has curb rash on at least one of the wheels. I've only seen 2, so it's a small sample size ;)

Ironically, I’m always trying to find an end space with the curb on the right side in parking lots to avoid door dings. It’s easy to forget how close to the curb I am and initiate the exit by turning the wheel too soon instead on backing straight out all the way until the curb is cleared prior to turning the wheel.

Ironically, I’m always trying to find an end space with the curb on the right side in parking lots to avoid door dings. It’s easy to forget how close to the curb I am and initiate the exit by turning the wheel too soon instead on backing straight out all the way until the curb is cleared prior to turning the wheel.
exactly what keeps happening to me.

Funny because I didn't curb my previous car (2006 Acura TSX, which has NONE of those features) once in the 12 years I owned it. I've curbed the Model 3 twice already in 4 months...

Also amusing, is that every Model 3 I've seen in person has curb rash on at least one of the wheels. I've only seen 2, so it's a small sample size ;)
Well, I haven't had any problems, while my G35 Coupe had all kinds of curb rash. I'll be the first to admit I park like a little old lady, but it pays to be careful. I tested the back up cam first thing and noticed that the lines it projects for the edges of the car are very accurate. As long as I keep the lines off the curb the wheels won't touch the curb.

Curbed the back rear rim fairly hard dodging a camry at the gym that didn't see me. The Dupli-Color AFM0360 Dark Shadow Gray Ford Exact-Match Scratch Fix All-in-1 Touch-Up Paint is an exact match. Filed out the bits of concrete and covered it with two layers of pain and a clear coat and it looks fine. You have to get fairly close to notice. If you sanded and filled and sanded it would be even closer. Autozone had the Dupli-Color in stock. Nice.