Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curious about driving up steep inclines without a low gear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ll likely be ordering an MYLP in the coming weeks ......... and I have a question.

Like many others raised on ICE, I have learned to use a lower (2 or 1) gear on steep ascents or descents. I get that regenerative braking will help me not light my brakes on fire coming down off Mt. Mansfield in Vermont (don’t snicker - I’ve seen it). But I’m wondering about going up a steep incline, especially one with a dirt or gravel surface. 1st gear has helped me avoid spinning tires in that situation on many an occasion.

How does one avoid that problem in a Tesla? Does it just not occur? Is it just a matter of feathering the accelerator pedal?

Model Y has "Off-Road Assist" mode, under the "Driving" menu, which provides power to all wheels, all the time, to help when driving on slippery surfaces. It also reduces throttle response so you don't over accelerate. We've driven ours on steep, rocky, "goat trail" Forest Service roads, and it has been outstanding!
Excellent - exactly the info I was looking for. Thank you!

My apologies to all ...... don’t know how I dropped this thread into the Model X forum ....... meant it for Model Y

I’ll likely be ordering an MYLP in the coming weeks ......... and I have a question.

Like many others raised on ICE, I have learned to use a lower (2 or 1) gear on steep ascents or descents. I get that regenerative braking will help me not light my brakes on fire coming down off Mt. Mansfield in Vermont (don’t snicker - I’ve seen it). But I’m wondering about going up a steep incline, especially one with a dirt or gravel surface. 1st gear has helped me avoid spinning tires in that situation on many an occasion.

How does one avoid that problem in a Tesla? Does it just not occur? Is it just a matter of feathering the accelerator pedal?
I've dealt with steep gravel roads a lot and never considered low gear as means of preventing from breaking loose, but I suppose you could. But low gear in ICE is often how you DO break loose, as in "burn rubber". Not breaking loose is more about driving the right speed, tires, good drive train and little to do with what gear. Now with ICE you do want a low gear to pull heavy loads up steep inclines, mostly so the motor runs in a better RPM range (cooling, efficiency and power).

But if you are worried about breaking loose EV is not your friend. And also be aware that the 3/Y is "rear" biased. It's basically a RWD until it starts to "slip" then engages AWD. Or when you ask for more throttle it sends torque to the front. But it will be a moment AFTER torque goes to the rear. The S/X is the opposite. Some people think it's fine, others do not. But you do have some options in the Y (Off Road) and (3 Perf, Track Mode) to tweak things.

One other thing, similar to your argument of using low to prevent breaking loose, you can use Chill mode if you feel you can't feather the power correctly over a narrow pedal range.

Reactions: iustin