Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone NOT drive with regen braking? What about creep mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love regen :) I miss it so much when I have to drive the Prius.
And I have creep on because backing into garage (over 2 concrete lips) without it is inconvenient. I wonder if standing still (at stoplights) would be more efficient if it were off.

+1. I think it's slightly safer to let creep handle reverse maneuvers, since I won't have to use the accelerator pedal most times.

I think everyone agrees that the regen braking plays a major role in the pleasant driving experience of the Tesla. That is why I was challenging anyone to come forward and say why they would not have it set to high.

Some Hypermilers prefer regen on low on the highway in order to make it easier to hypermile. I don't personally find it any easier.

I have never tried the low regen and love the one pedal driving experience.
At first I though I would prefer creep on, then after a few weeks decided to try creep off and I have never turned it back on.
As others have said I woul like the car to be more aggressive at stopping roll back as I have found situations where ther is only a slight slope but you are in close proximity of a hazard hard to navigate smoothly especially as the car does not like two pedal driving.
It would be nice in those situations wher pressing and holding the brake pedal for more than a second will apply the park brake even on relatively flat ground.

Last edited:
Hi,

I sent the following to [email protected]

Hi,

At the risk of being a pest, I would appreciate the ability to extend the hill hold time out to infinite.

Thank you,

Ray Newman
Model S 85

and got back the answer

Hello Ray
First of all thank you for contacting Tesla motors Inc.

And please continue to send in requests in how we can make the Tesla models a better vehicle for you all as users.
Lots of request is better than no request, so spread the word.
If you meat or talk to other Tesla owners and they have ideas tell them to send it in.

So - request it...

Hi,

I sent the following to [email protected]

Hi,

At the risk of being a pest, I would appreciate the ability to extend the hill hold time out to infinite.

Thank you,

Ray Newman
Model S 85

and got back the answer

Hello Ray
First of all thank you for contacting Tesla motors Inc.

And please continue to send in requests in how we can make the Tesla models a better vehicle for you all as users.
Lots of request is better than no request, so spread the word.
If you meat or talk to other Tesla owners and they have ideas tell them to send it in.

So - request it...

I think the argument against that from Tesla's point of view is that if the battery was used 100% of the time to hold the car in a stopped position instead of the brake for nothing other than comfort purposes, it would unjustifiably blow out the energy expenditure and thus reduce the all important range statistic that they advertise to sell the car. They figure you may as well use the brake or even the acclerator to hold the car on those odd occasions that you want to waste energy going nowhere fast... But the Prius would activate hill hold when you pressed the brake to the floor (which would only hold for a few seconds) but in like manner, the driver activating the hill hold for infinite (as opposed to a default position) should be implemented.

for nothing other than comfort purposes, it would unjustifiably blow out the energy expenditure and thus reduce the all important range statistic that they advertise to sell the car.

Mmm. I have quite a few features on my Model S that serve no other purpose than comfort, and use up battery life...

Heating
Air Conditioning
Power Steering
Radio

It's cute though how the service person in Australia thinks that he has a line open to Engineering and can influence policy or features in any way.

Mmm. I have quite a few features on my Model S that serve no other purpose than comfort, and use up battery life...

Heating
Air Conditioning
Power Steering
Radio

It's cute though how the service person in Australia thinks that he has a line open to Engineering and can influence policy or features in any way.
That person actually is in the Netherlands.... Yep. They can organise roadside assistance etc from there!!!

The best regen on the market is in the Outlander PHEV with paddle shifters that allow you to switch between five different regen settings.
The VW e-Golf also has adjustable regen. D, the default, has no regen and the Germans like to call it "sailing". The regen is adjusted by pushing the traditional PRNDB gear selector sideways from the D position. I believe D3 and B are both similar in regen level to the Model S. The other difference is that the e-Golf has blended regen on the brake pedal. So, even if you leave it in D, you still get full regen when you gradually come to a stop with the brake pedal. I am under the impression that the Model S has no regen on the brake pedal, it's all friction. So, if you use Low regen, there's no way to recover that kinetic energy. It will impact your in-city range considerably.

Have not found a reason to set low regen, including on the expressway. I do, in fact want even stronger regen if that is possible.

Yep, me too. The variable levels of regen offered by other manufacturers seem a bit silly when you can just modulate with your foot. That being said, I'd like the stronger regen (and stiffer steering) to be activated by a sports mode.

My car lives in normal (ie high) regen and creep off permanently.

Yep, me too. The variable levels of regen offered by other manufacturers seem a bit silly when you can just modulate with your foot. That being said, I'd like the stronger regen (and stiffer steering) to be activated by a sports mode.

My car lives in normal (ie high) regen and creep off permanently.

I am not surprised that everyone here drives with regen on maximum. But what I am surprised about is the number of people that actually have creep off. I thought that was going to be just me.

I am not surprised that everyone here drives with regen on maximum. But what I am surprised about is the number of people that actually have creep off. I thought that was going to be just me.

I'm a bit like most, tried creep for first couple of weeks and once turned off, now love it off. Regen on standard for me.

I do, however, have Mrs Mangrove's profile set to low regen and creep as she only gets the chance to drive the Tesla about once a month, so since everything else is quite different I keep these settings more like her everyday car.

Also, am I the only only one concerned that 'servicehelpau' is wanting Ray to let everyone he 'meats' to know about sending in requests :) (I assume that is verbatim, Ray).

I'm a bit like most, tried creep for first couple of weeks and once turned off, now love it off. Regen on standard for me.

I do, however, have Mrs Mangrove's profile set to low regen and creep as she only gets the chance to drive the Tesla about once a month, so since everything else is quite different I keep these settings more like her everyday car.

Also, am I the only only one concerned that 'servicehelpau' is wanting Ray to let everyone he 'meats' to know about sending in requests :) (I assume that is verbatim, Ray).

Ha ha, that's well called out MangroveMike. I do believe Tesla reads these forums.

But any petition is hard to ignore. I reckon you would need a different hardware setup to squueze stronger regen though.

The book Owning Model S says if you go up a hill, you only recover 80% from regen in coming down the hill. Sounds about right.

I could be completely blowing my recollection, but I thought the general consensus was that regen/creep weren't tied to profiles?

I admittedly have never tested it...

You can't turn regen off completely, but you can reduce it (by setting it to "low")
Except when you charge your battery to 100% (which I've only done once) - there's nowhere for the energy to go so there's no regen for the first 10-15km. No fun at all!

I love the regen, and would happily take more if it was available.

I've never used creep mode and I love the way I can inch along as slow as I want with a light touch of the pedal.

I wish my electric bike (a DYSON) had regen... braking down hills is such a waste !!!
GH

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with your comments AM about how powerful regen braking is. I do believe it would take a lot more than a mere software upgrade to increase it.

I think everyone agrees that the regen braking plays a major role in the pleasant driving experience of the Tesla. That is why I was challenging anyone to come forward and say why they would not have it set to high. Most newbies may appreciate the quick acceleration of a Tesla. But I say it is the quick deceleration due to regen braking that really and truly makes the difference. It's what makes the car more responsive, less dangerous, and feels more safe too being able to speed up and slow down in such short distances - all without using the brake.

In an ice car, no one likes burning off at lights only to have to slam on the brakes for the next set of lights. No trouble for the Tesla. The speeding up and slowing down is all the one manoeuvre and without the use of any brakes.

OK, Here's a question that I've wondered about... When using regen to brake, do the BRAKE LIGHTS come on ?
My C class Merc has a SPEED LIMITER which, when going down hill, applies the brakes to keep to the specified speed (and the brakes lights come on)
Has anyone following a Tesla noticed what happens ?
GH

, Here's a question that I've wondered about... When using regen to brake, do the BRAKE LIGHTS come on ?
My C class Merc has a SPEED LIMITER which, when going down hill, applies the brakes to keep to the specified speed (and the brakes lights come on)
Has anyone following a Tesla noticed what happens ?
GH
Yes they do indeed come on, and too much use can irritate those behind you who think you are riding the brakes. (tough luck to them)