Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think for most of the people, it's not waiting the problem, it's the "bait and switch" with estimated dates.

You can order a factory customized Porsche from Germany, and they know pretty much when you'll get your car will be built a few days after the order is passed and from there when it will arrive at your dealership, and they don't ship cars ineficiently one at a time, they bulk ship them in ships from germany to North America.
I agree. I'd have no problem with an honest but accurate estimate even if that's months away.
Estimates this unreliable give the impression that Tesla is either incompetent or dishonest.

Just call your SA and you will be given a more accurate number. They can query the production line for a closer ETA. Of course they will tell you that its subject to change.

The last SA informed me when things go blank or updates keep being pushed back and forth, it means you are getting closer to the end as the production line system might not be informing the customer portal correctly (hence blank out of times)

I've been told numerous times by several SA's they have no insight into your order until you're assigned a VIN #..

Just some information for everyone to potentially help out.. I use to work in auto manufacturing. It's a nightmare. You're highly dependent on suppliers. Then you toss in all the variables of different configurations, different geographic locations and it becomes a nightmare. There are then tooling changes for different configs. If you change tooling too often, that's time and money, but you must change for different configs. There could be literally thousands of variables. semiconductors, seats, paint chemicals, downtime for certain robots, staffing, defects. It's endless. I think what Tesla is trying to do is provide you a rough estimate. When it slips it means something is ahead of you, which I would suspect is any of these variables. If you ordered a Red Model Y and you're in Texas, it's unlikely you'll get on the schedule until more of those are ordered.

Interesting...

Ordered 4/19, current estimate: May 16 - June 5
LR AWD, Midnight Silver Metallic, Black & white 5-seat interior, 20-inch, Tow Hitch, no FSD
The entire Model Y lead time seems to shift daily. We ordered on 4-11 the same set up as you: LR AWD, Midnight Silver Metallic, Black & white 5-seat interior, 20-inch, Tow Hitch, no FSD.
Yesterday, May 13-31.
Today, 6-10 weeks from order.
Go figure.

Reactions: one4thegipper
Congratz and so jealous. Live here in Dallas area and haven't heard a peep about getting my vehicle (and I ordered later than you). Too bad they couldn't have just shipped ours together on the same truck.

Oh and on a random note, my Tesla page (and account page) says Tesla Canada and even the URL has en_CA in it. Why does Tesla think I am in Canada? I am not using a VPN or anything. Anyone else have a Canadian loading page?
Thank you and I hope you get an update for your vehicle soon! I'm a bit nervous about the home delivery because I'm pretty picky about paint chips and such. I have an appt to get the whole vehicle wrapped in PPF next week.

I've been told numerous times by several SA's they have no insight into your order until you're assigned a VIN #..
depends on who the SA is :) but I personally see them pulling a different App to query production line numbers. Usually they don't like to do it because its a pain to get it going and it sometimes doesn't succeed on querying. And the time is unpredictable until its close to the end of the production line.

Saying so, not surprised you are being told this.

They should just leave it 5-9 weeks from order and update only when you get a VIN. Would make everyone's lives a lot easier I think.
They do this for Model 3 orders like my M3P it said 5-9 wks the entire time since they don't focus on North American orders until like the last month of the quarter, they just focus on oversees. But the Model Y is not exported outside of North America which is probably why they can give you dates based on production

My order hasn't changed since I posted last. Still estimated may 14th-june 3rd, for San Antonio Texas. It's really frustrating. Now I am reading things that make me just want to cancel, and wait until the texas factory is completed. Also the fact that FSD may become subscription based, makes me want to remove the FSD again because well, that's 10k lol. So that's a bit annoying because I had a VIN almost instantly assigned when I ordered the performance with no FSD. Sigh, not a pleasant experience. I knew it was going to be different and have read all the horror stories, but man actually living it is awful.

My order hasn't changed since I posted last. Still estimated may 14th-june 3rd, for San Antonio Texas. It's really frustrating. Now I am reading things that make me just want to cancel, and wait until the texas factory is completed. Also the fact that FSD may become subscription based, makes me want to remove the FSD again because well, that's 10k lol. So that's a bit annoying because I had a VIN almost instantly assigned when I ordered the performance with no FSD. Sigh, not a pleasant experience. I knew it was going to be different and have read all the horror stories, but man actually living it is awful.
The subscription will be more expensive

Reactions: RyFreddy
I have a really dumb question: does FSD option require a hardware change upon ordering? I thought it was just a software mod--such that selecting one way or the other wouldn't effect delivery date. Is that right?