Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I watched him do it, it is super easy but I understand why most wouldn't want to do it. Netter safe than sorry.
In some cases where the breaker box is not in the garage it also requires more work to run conduit and drill through walls.. I do all that if needed but I'm also an experienced home flipper and do virtually all work myself..

Reactions: dsandhu and BigLou
It's definitely not...ease up. I'm encouraging people to do research, not necessarily to just start putzing around with 220/240 lines. Watch some youtube videos, do some internet research, see if it makes you feel comfortable. This stuff is not hard. The honest truth is that if someone can learn how to do this stuff in a month at a trade school there's a good chance most people can learn to do it on their own with some research.

I have zero problems paying for things I don't want to do or aren't comfortable doing around my house, but people paying a lot of money for relatively simple tasks just because they thought it was difficult is almost shameful.
A month at trade school? You mean 4 years of on the job training then 2-3 months of school each year? Yeah that's simplifying it a whole bunch. Running and terminating a couple wires from point a to point b and calling yourself an electrician is like cutting a log in half and saying your a professional faller.

Do yourself a favor and get permits if you're going to do it yourself. You'd hate to have an electrical fire - even if it's not your fault entirely but your work gets blamed and your insurance gets cancelled. Like I said in a previous post, I've seen no shortage of insanely bad home owner special work done cause they watched a YouTube video (who also didn't do the work properly). Stay safe.

It may be the case for some that the cost of doing the research, discerning reputable sources of information, understanding electrical codes and local municipal regulations, complying with insurance requirements, acquiring tools and materials, among other things, outweigh what it costs to hire a licensed electrician. There seems to be room for both approaches, and DIY installations make sense for those who are already familiar with this type of work.
No doubt, but it makes sense to do the small amount of research (5 minutes) to see if that is something you think you can do then make the decision instead of just assume you can't and pay someone.

$850 for an installation of a wall connector on a 60amp circuit and a fairly good run of wire (pic attached). Not sure how that would compare to an installation of a nema 14-50 . Also not sure if the cost of a nema 14-50 outlet is officially qualified for the EV charging station tax credit, but it probably passes muster. Total cost of the charger and install was $1,350 ~ $945 net of tax credit. I'll take it for a safe system installed by a pro since I have absolutely no business messing around with that much juice.
Your garage layout and charger placement is almost identical to mine. I'm not going to say how much I paid, because people will make fun of me.

• Funny
Reactions: GoGators!
A month at trade school? You mean 4 years of on the job training then 2-3 months of school each year? Yeah that's simplifying it a whole bunch. Running and terminating a couple wires from point a to point b and calling yourself an electrician is like cutting a log in half and saying your a professional faller.

Do yourself a favor and get permits if you're going to do it yourself. You'd hate to have an electrical fire - even if it's not your fault entirely but your work gets blamed and your insurance gets cancelled. Like I said in a previous post, I've seen no shortage of insanely bad home owner special work done cause they watched a YouTube video (who also didn't do the work properly). Stay safe.
And I wouldn't disagree with any of that - Being able to do something like this wouldn't make you an electrician. What I'm saying is this type of install, for the vast majority of people, is something they can do with a bit of research. I'd agree that getting a permit and having the city inspector come check it out should be done for just about any home changes, so you're covered, but doing a bit of research and making an honest call on whether you can actually do the work properly should be the starting point for just about anything.

Again, this comes from someone that's fine paying for convenience in just about anything...but I want to know if it's something I would be able to do and how much work would be involved before I make that decision.

Reactions: rmack
Picked up the car yesterday. Fit and Finish was very good. I only had one issue really and that is my driver side door requires much more force to close than the other 3 doors. Mobile service is already coming out today to fix it.

I ordered 04/07 and as I understand it all cars being delivered in May have no Radar. I was hoping that because my order was in early April I would get one with radar but that was not the case. I decided to take ownership and join this beta program. The car is still the car I remembered test driving. Everything I tested still worked as I remembered. Still nervous about it but this is an unconventional company with unconventional ideas and at the core, I think that is why we are all here or most of us anyway.

Complete all the paperwork you can now. When they release batches and the site goes down you will have a hard time completing it. If you think the site being unresponsive is bad now, wait till you need to add proof of insurance, final payment, or accept terms when your 4 hours from delivery ;)

All this stress instantly goes away when you're pulling off the lot in this amazing machine.

Good luck to you all.

@FloridaSun , since you’re waiting at the SC, have you spotted any LRs with new headlights? Still trying to confirm what @bigdaddyreg saw that night.
I can tell you that none of the MY LR with the following VIN sequence (189xxx, 194xxx, 195xxx) at the Carlsbad SC had new head lights. Build date 5/19

Attachments

• MY_Headlight.png
    MY_Headlight.png
    201.5 KB · Views: 76
  • MY_Carlsbad_SC.jpeg
    MY_Carlsbad_SC.jpeg
    427.5 KB · Views: 57
  • VIN_1.jpg
    VIN_1.jpg
    810.1 KB · Views: 59
  • VIN_2.jpeg
    VIN_2.jpeg
    850.3 KB · Views: 46
  • VIN_3.jpeg
    VIN_3.jpeg
    871.1 KB · Views: 60
Picked up the car yesterday. Fit and Finish was very good. I only had one issue really and that is my driver side door requires much more force to close than the other 3 doors. Mobile service is already coming out today to fix it.

I ordered 04/07 and as I understand it all cars being delivered in May have no Radar. I was hoping that because my order was in early April I would get one with radar but that was not the case. I decided to take ownership and join this beta program. The car is still the car I remembered test driving. Everything I tested still worked as I remembered. Still nervous about it but this is an unconventional company with unconventional ideas and at the core, I think that is why we are all here or most of us anyway.

Complete all the paperwork you can now. When they release batches and the site goes down you will have a hard time completing it. If you think the site being unresponsive is bad now, wait till you need to add proof of insurance, final payment, or accept terms when your 4 hours from delivery ;)

All this stress instantly goes away when you're pulling off the lot in this amazing machine.

Good luck to you all.
Would love to see pics!

Good luck to you all.
Glad you had a great experience.

From what I have read any Model 3 and Model Y built after 4/27 does not have the radar sensor (Tesla loses U.S. designation for some advanced safety features). As Tesla pushes out software update the designations will change. So, I do not think this is a big deal.

I studied electrical engineering long time ago but never worked in the field.. However, hooking up the outlet requires little electrical knowledge other than that you have to get the correct gauge wire and that white goes at the place in the panel where all the white wires go... ground goes to the place where all ground wires go, and of course, turn off the main breaker for the install... and the other 2 wires connect to the breaker.. It's not rocket science..
Based on my limited knowledge, you will also need to torque the screw on the breaker to correct specification according to the wire gauge, right?

• Funny
Reactions: Surfit34
Vin 190XXX received this morning - Config in signature. Order placed January 2020 but off Hold May 6, 2021. Exactly three weeks to receive VIN. Pickup tomorrow PM. My last EDD before the VIN was June 14 to June 30.
Went by Richmond VA SC this morning, lot is full and they were offloading a truck. Looked like 4 MY,s ready for pickup. Hopefully mine is in the lot waiting to be processed.

Hi all.. I am new here.. have been following this post for quite some time. Got a question: I first ordered on 4/17 then changed my order to add a tow hitch on 5/4. Right now my EDD is 6/10 to 6/30. Do you think changing the order in the later day pushes me down the line? Still no VIN.
I also notice many folks have the 6/30 as the last date in EDD. I guess Tesla is trying to delivery all cars before Q2 ends?