Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
is this credit similar to EV credit where you have to own federal tax to completely utilize the credit?
you typically have to owe federal tax to utilize these type credits (they are usually not refundable credits) however, most unused credits will carry over for years so even if they are not used in 2021, they will be available in the future. I have not had a single person use this credit yet, few ev credits over last few years. We are behind the times here in North Georgia.....

If you don't owe taxes, you won't be able to apply a tax credit to reduce your tax payment. Glad it's that way. Enough handouts as it is.

you typically have to owe federal tax to utilize these type credits (they are usually not refundable credits) however, most unused credits will carry over for years so even if they are not used in 2021, they will be available in the future. I have not had a single person use this credit yet, few ev credits over last few years. We are behind the times here in North Georgia.....
damn.. now I have to update my W4 to hold less taxes so I can get the credit. If I pay less then I have to pay interest.. **FIDDLE STICKS**

Ordered 5/17. EDD now showing 9/2-9/20. God Damn. I have VINxiety as well. Shipping to Mt. Kisco. SA in Milford CT told me car potentially built 8/1, ship by mid Aug. Thats 3 months on the nose, quite the wait. Anyway here same boat as me? Are we hopeful ill get matched with a VIN before Aug? 9/2-9/20 is just ridiculous imo. TesCT has a VIN and he is identical to me including order date, just black paint. Im MSM, black interior, induction, 5, no tow, no fsd.

Absolutely feel you. Ordered in mid-May and have been EDD in October since last Sat. I got my VIN before the end of June and after an hour I called delivery to confirm the vehicle was already removed from my account. It was damaged in transport. I have been in limbo from mid to end of July now with the new date since waiting on another vehicle assignment. The car is great but the lack of communication and how the SA's handle customer service has been a fat "F" from my experience.

Lake Forest, CA | Ordered 5/15/21 | EDD October | RN114961*** | VIN N/A
MY LR | White Ext. | White Int. | 5 Seat | 19in | No Tow | Autopilot

I haven't actually seen anyone in the SLC area actually receive a VIN yet, except for one poster last week who received a call out of the blue to pick up their car that day. They checked their account after the call and sure enough had a VIN. I'm wondering if some sales centers just receive cars when they receive them, and then match them after they arrive... Anybody else noticing a similar trend in their area?

Reactions: iratre
damn.. now I have to update my W4 to hold less taxes so I can get the credit. If I pay less then I have to pay interest.. **FIDDLE STICKS**
Owed taxes aren't the same as paid taxes. If you owe $5000 in taxes and only pay $4500 in taxes over the year you will still owe $500 at the end of the year (April). However if you have a credit of $1000 (EV/tax credit whatever) then you will have your owed taxes decreased from $5000 to $4000 and then you will get a refund of $500 in taxes because you paid $4500 out of your pay checks over the year.

There is no reason to change your W4 unless you really don't want Uncle Sam earning interest in a few dollar you'll plan to claim back at the end of the year.

Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 3.20.40 PM.png

I just liked how someone named "doomsday" liked this post.

I haven't actually seen anyone in the SLC area actually receive a VIN yet, except for one poster last week who received a call out of the blue to pick up their car that day. They checked their account after the call and sure enough had a VIN. I'm wondering if some sales centers just receive cars when they receive them, and then match them after they arrive... Anybody else noticing a similar trend in their area?
it happens. sometimes if the shipping truck to certain centers is going empty, they will add extra vehicles based on orders and once center receives it, they will assign the cars. if no one is available, they put up as existing inventory.

Owed taxes aren't the same as paid taxes. If you owe $5000 in taxes and only pay $4500 in taxes over the year you will still owe $500 at the end of the year (April). However if you have a credit of $1000 (EV/tax credit whatever) then you will have your owed taxes decreased from $5000 to $4000 and then you will get a refund of $500 in taxes because you paid $4500 out of your pay checks over the year.

There is no reason to change your W4 unless you really don't want Uncle Sam earning interest in a few dollar you'll plan to claim back at the end of the year.
That’s a good point for @Hangover. When I used the terminology “owe”, I self understood it as you paying at least that amount in taxes. I didn’t mean to cause confusion with mixing that up with the net-tax balance when filing taxes.

Reactions: hcdavis3

that's really informative. I always thought as below.

Let's say a person owes 5000 in taxes, but paid 5500, then he gets 500 refund but the 1000 credit is lost. If he pays 4000 only instead of 5000, then instead of owing tax, his credit applies to that 1000 and he doesn't get a refund or doesn't owe anything. Are we talking the same thing or am I off the track?

Thanks for explaining.