Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I guess there is no way to pre-purchase acceleration boost? Part of me wants the Performance model, but I just can't reconcile that it makes sense to pay $5k more (if you already upgraded to the 20" wheels) for something with wheels I don't want and a little less range, but splitting the difference on the 0-60 times would be kind of nice I have to admit.
I would never pre-purchase the AB option. Save it for when you have fully adjusted to the regular MYLR acceleration and power curve. Then slap on AB and you’ll fully appreciate a lot more than you would have otherwise.

I would never pre-purchase the AB option. Save it for when you have fully adjusted to the regular MYLR acceleration and power curve. Then slap on AB and you’ll fully appreciate a lot more than you would have otherwise.
Well, doesn't look like you can pre-purchase as far as I can tell, so it's a moot point. Mostly this vehicle is for my wife anyway, at least, on paper, but the more we go down the journey the more I realize I probably want the vehicle more than she does. And that upgrade would officially make our grocery getter faster (in a straight line) than my sports car.

Made it all the way to Mt. Kisco for my delivery only to find out that my car has a paint chip in the front bumper.

Unfortunately I have to take delivery as I have no way home to Rochester and don’t want to have to come all the way back.

They are telling me it will take up to 2 weeks to get the bumper into my local service center to have it out on which also screws up my plans for ceramic and PPF next week. Not to mention I’m nervous the paint won’t match my white exactly.

Such a happy day turned south. :(
That is a fricken joke. That’s not a scratch it’s a major gash. You could see that from California. Inexcusable to allow you to travel all that way to arrive to that. Disgraceful by your SC and SA. So sorry. What a disappointment

@BitJam ! Thanks for stopping by! How is life and how are you enjoying your new car?
TL;DR: hang in there folks! It's worth the wait and frustration.

Life is fine. I'm loving the new car. When people ask me how I like it I tell them "all cars should be like this". I'm still adding mods. Yesterday I added a screen protector for the touchscreen and magnets to keep the roof sunshade from flapping in the breeze (when the window is open for my dog). The best mod was the swivel mount for the touchscreen.

I haven't gone camping yet but I did take a nap in the back for a few hours on a tri-fold mattress. Instead of blocking all the windows I'm planning to use a wrap-around sleep mask to keep the light out of my eyes. I need to figure out how to get music from my phone to work while in camping mode. I suspect I just need to set it up when I'm still in front with access to the screen.

camping-in-car-01-sm.jpg

I got a "Foam King" for washing the car using a normal garden hose. This, combined with Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax and a large microfiber towel has made washing a breeze and nearly effortless. I'm still working on getting a carport installed. I've got a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in my driveway for charging. In going from 50% to 80% charge it adds roughly 10% per hour.

The problem with logging into YouTube was magically fixed without a software update. So according to a previous post my life should be complete now.

Basic autopilot does about 80% of the driving for me, YMMVG. I'm looking forward to some of the FSD beta 9 improvements trickling down to AP. If the car does a better job of detecting the edge of the road/lane then I think my AP usage will go up to 90%.

One strange thing is on the small 30 MPH road I take to go home, the Tesla slows down on the same little hill that my old Volvo slows down on. The old Volvo slows down because it has very little power at 6,000 feet elevation and cruise control does not put a lot of force on the accelerator. I don't know why the Tesla slows down. Maybe it's concerned about a lack of visibility. It's always spooky when it happens.

To make a right turn off the divided highway to the 30 MPH road I usually go into the breakdown lane and there is even a break in the painted lane marker that seems designed for this. I can slow down in the breakdown lane without causing cars behind me to have to slow down. The Tesla is unhappy with this maneuver. It thinks driving in the breakdown lane is bad bad bad. IMO the real solution is for them to add some paint and mark a pull off lane for that turn. Also, after I make that turn, the Tesla thinks the speed limit on the small road is 45 MPH so I have to wait until we get to a 30 MPH sign before I engage autopilot because AFAIK you can't adjust the autopilot speed when autopilot is not engaged. I wish there was a way to tell it the speed limit on that stretch before the sign is 30 MPH. Putting a speed limit sign close to the intersection would also fix this.

I'm slowly learning how to get the most out of the car. One important trick is to almost always use the stalk to disengage autopilot instead of the brake. This way I can have my foot on the accelerator to control the speed instead of bouncing from the brake to the accelerator when regen braking kicks in. Also, like my old Volvo, you can use the accelerator without disengaging autopilot/cruise-control. So with both cars I put my foot on the accelerator in the same spot on the road at that little hill. I'm very impressed with the human-machine interface but it takes some learning, at least for me it did.

I want to drive more!

Yup. I seriously considered it for the first time after reading that. My wife would kill me.
I thought my wife would kill me too, but I complained about waiting so long I wore her down :)

Plus I showed her the data, it actually was only a couple grand more for me so she was good with it.

Come to the Dark Side!! haha

TL;DR: hang in there folks! It's worth the wait and frustration.

Life is fine. I'm loving the new car. When people ask me how I like it I tell them "all cars should be like this". I'm still adding mods. Yesterday I added a screen protector for the touchscreen and magnets to keep the roof sunshade from flapping in the breeze (when the window is open for my dog). The best mod was the swivel mount for the touchscreen.

I haven't gone camping yet but I did take a nap in the back for a few hours on a tri-fold mattress. Instead of blocking all the windows I'm planning to use a wrap-around sleep mask to keep the light out of my eyes. I need to figure out how to get music from my phone to work while in camping mode. I suspect I just need to set it up when I'm still in front with access to the screen.

View attachment 700643

I got a "Foam King" for washing the car using a normal garden hose. This, combined with Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax and a large microfiber towel has made washing a breeze and nearly effortless. I'm still working on getting a carport installed. I've got a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in my driveway for charging. In going from 50% to 80% charge it adds roughly 10% per hour.

The problem with logging into YouTube was magically fixed without a software update. So according to a previous post my life should be complete now.

Basic autopilot does about 80% of the driving for me, YMMVG. I'm looking forward to some of the FSD beta 9 improvements trickling down to AP. If the car does a better job of detecting the edge of the road/lane then I think my AP usage will go up to 90%.

One strange thing is on the small 30 MPH road I take to go home, the Tesla slows down on the same little hill that my old Volvo slows down on. The old Volvo slows down because it has very little power at 6,000 feet elevation and cruise control does not put a lot of force on the accelerator. I don't know why the Tesla slows down. Maybe it's concerned about a lack of visibility. It's always spooky when it happens.

To make a right turn off the divided highway to the 30 MPH road I usually go into the breakdown lane and there is even a break in the painted lane marker that seems designed for this. I can slow down in the breakdown lane without causing cars behind me to have to slow down. The Tesla is unhappy with this maneuver. It thinks driving in the breakdown lane is bad bad bad. IMO the real solution is for them to add some paint and mark a pull off lane for that turn. Also, after I make that turn, the Tesla thinks the speed limit on the small road is 45 MPH so I have to wait until we get to a 30 MPH sign before I engage autopilot because AFAIK you can't adjust the autopilot speed when autopilot is not engaged. I wish there was a way to tell it the speed limit on that stretch before the sign is 30 MPH. Putting a speed limit sign close to the intersection would also fix this.

I'm slowly learning how to get the most out of the car. One important trick is to almost always use the stalk to disengage autopilot instead of the brake. This way I can have my foot on the accelerator to control the speed instead of bouncing from the brake to the accelerator when regen braking kicks in. Also, like my old Volvo, you can use the accelerator without disengaging autopilot/cruise-control. So with both cars I put my foot on the accelerator in the same spot on the road at that little hill. I'm very impressed with the human-machine interface but it takes some learning, at least for me it did.

I want to drive more!
Please don’t spend more $$ than you really really should. I have seen folks buying Tesla and spend another 10-15K on rubbish. People particularly young don’t understand the value of money. Just take this as an advice from an older experienced person who is quite wealthy. Donate to charity if you have so much money to spend but avoid wasting too much on the accessories.

Please don’t spend more $$ than you really really should. I have seen folks buying Tesla and spend another 10-15K on rubbish. People particularly young don’t understand the value of money. Just take this as an advice from an older experienced person who is quite wealthy. Donate to charity if you have so much money to spend but avoid wasting too much on the accessories.
You assume a lot. You know what they say, when you assume... all that.

Seriously hope Tesla forgets your order. You assume that because @BitJam bought some accessories that he’s being frivolous? You need to get your head checked. If you’ve been here long enough you’d know how long he had to wait to receive his MY or how Tesla screwed up his delivery but he still loves the car. He just wanted to give us long termers here an update and you had to rain on that parade.

Seriously hope Tesla forgets your order. You assume that because @BitJam bought some accessories that he’s being frivolous? You need to get your head checked. If you’ve been here long enough you’d know how long he had to wait to receive his MY or how Tesla screwed up his delivery but he still loves the car. He just wanted to give us long termers here an update and you had to rain on that parade.
Not specific to him or anybody boy. Just chill. Just saying folks end up spending 72+10-15k (including ridiculously expensive paint protection) so before you realize you add a lot. Just a thought. You don’t have to get so violent about it buddy. Relax. Trash what you don’t find suitable. It’s just an opinion. Doesn’t warrant a psychiatrist evaluation. Public free forum so just ignore? Phew!!
I am done bye!!

You monster! I'm this weak after barely 2 weeks. What's 2 months going to do to me?
Haha Sorry - at least it took me 66 days to crack. Hang in there. I secretly wanted the MYP, but convinced myself the MYLR was practical and "fast enough". And truth it, it probably was. But someone else said it best, "Screw practicality - have fun!"

Hoping to have my MYP by the end of the week.

Not specific to him or anybody boy. Just chill. Just saying folks end up spending 72+10-15k (including ridiculously expensive paint protection) so before you realize you add a lot. Just a thought. You don’t have to get so violent about it buddy. Relax. Trash what you don’t find suitable. It’s just an opinion. Doesn’t warrant a psychiatrist evaluation. Public free forum so just ignore? Phew!!
I am done bye!!
says the guy who bought FSD...