Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know that the general advice is to switch to financing with VIN in hand. For some reason I listened to my SA (who is a nice guy to work with after all) who advised to start the process now and even implied that Tesla favors those who have finance quote in place. I really doubt it is true and I probably bit the bullet a bit here and it is Tesla so he might be entirely wrong - we shall see...
First rule of this Forum………NEVER listen to your SA!! They are part of Teslas cruel mass mental torture experiment 😵‍💫

To answer my own question - Yes!

I owned a MY SR for a while and the only reason I sold it is because I was made an offer that was too good to pass up.

The interior was the same as the LR. The differences were price, RWD (1 motor), 30 day premium connectivity, and range (244 miles). I’m 63 so speed and power don’t thrill me after a week or two (the autopilot did!) and in Florida I don’t need AWD. The range was a non-issue.
I'm 30, speed and power don't thrill me after a week or two either. My family and friends also don't really appreciate being driven around in an excessively fast fashion, and even SR Model Y is faster than the majority anyway. You know, being in the Boston region, I also don't foresee RWD as a deal breaker either. My driveway is plowed before I wake up during winter mornings (about 5am), and the town plows are basically 24/7 when it snows. I've been driving on a FWD Prius with true winter tires and traction is incredible. RWD Model Y even has rear weight bias, so that should actually work out perfectly.

I think AWD is oversold and over-marketed. It's always marketed for snowy weather, but it only helps you accelerate, and does not help you brake or corner, which is far more important from an accident prevention/safety standpoint. That's where winter tires come in. The only use case for AWD I can see is going up steep, unplowed mountain roads, or if you have a rural, private, and unmaintained driveway on a steep hill. All this to say: RWD Model Y SR should be a fantastic car, if it comes back our way as a MIC variant.

Reactions: THF2021MY
Good morning all! - So I had Swoosh for 2 days now ( tomorrow going in for PPF and tint ) Delivery went smooth, it took about 30 min. Swoosh looked great and there was only 3 minor issues that will be take care of by service. I just have to say this vehicle is so amazing to drive, all in our family just loves it. Yes its worth the wait you all, I know it sounds like a cliché. But hey it's true :) When i get it back from PPF/Tint all accessories are going in, ill do some more pictures with all items in then. Just hang in there all it sucks to wait but the reward is something out of this world! I'll never buy a ICE ever again that I can promise, used to be a petrol head like some say, you understand when you have it in possession.

Issues to be fixed are:

Left back hatch panel gap adjusted
Right back passenger door gap adjusted
Right side spoiler not attached ( common with the MYP )
Fantastic! So glad you and your family are loving it. Haha, "it's worth the wait"!!! I'm so happy for you. Show us the tint and PPF job when it's done. We'll be here.

That spoiler attachment...*sigh* Tesla has never been able glue that part properly. It's been an ongoing issue ever since the first 2018 Model 3 Performance, and I remember Jason Fenske (Engineering Explained) struggled with multiple spoilers all coming off.

Reactions: MBx4
Hello all! I'm new to the MY forum. I recently took delivery of a MS Plaid (see avatar), and decided to go all electric and replace my CrossTrek with a Model Y performance last night (8/28/21). I was shocked that the EED was "4-5 weeks," pretty much for all MYP configurations. I looked at the LR and all were "January". Any thoughts on why this is the case, other than Tesla dedicating the Freemont line to higher margin MYPs until the end of the quarter, when it retools? I searched around but couldn't find anything definitive about the MYs produced in Austin early on (like January) and how they "might" differ from those currently being produced in Freemont (Only much speculation). The new battery and front casting will not likely arrive until sometime later than 1Q22, so what will the 1Q22 Austin built MYs be like? Thoughts on this and current MYP flow time from order delivery? Lastly, what VIN range (last six) are currently being "born"?
Welcome to the Forum, or the House of Pain, whichever you prefer. Yes, average delivery times for MYP are running about 3-6 weeks at the moment and LR's are in the 3-4 month range. Of course there are always a few who get lucky and get one early, as well as some nightmare stories of cars getting lost in the system. Most LR Orders from late July and all of August now have a generic delivery of “January.” Yes, I agree that there is a good chance that those could be coming from Austin. Nobody expects to see the new batteries for quite some time but I think the front casting is very possible, even likely. VINs currently being born are in the 256-259 range (digits 6-4 in Vin). Recently got a 257 Vin that was born on 8/23

Regarding all the talk about adjusting financing, trade, etc in your profile, I'm in a similar boat. I had delayed completing my profile because my wife was in waiting on a new license and I wanted to have both of us on the registration. My SA said to complete it with just me and we can add her later. Well, after reading all of this chaos about dates changing due to any profile info changing, I'm not touching that info until I get my VIN. Not risking it.

It seems like the best option is to select cash, no trade, set the rest up in a basic config and only update anything until after your VIN. They appear to have no issues changing things that late and there's only possible delays stemming from updating early.

Welcome to the Forum, or the House of Pain, whichever you prefer. Yes, average delivery times for MYP are running about 3-6 weeks at the moment and LR's are in the 3-4 month range. Of course there are always a few who get lucky and get one early, as well as some nightmare stories of cars getting lost in the system. Most LR Orders from late July and all of August now have a generic delivery of “January.” Yes, I agree that there is a good chance that those could be coming from Austin. Nobody expects to see the new batteries for quite some time but I think the front casting is very possible, even likely. VINs currently being born are in the 256-259 range (digits 6-4 in Vin). Recently got a 257 Vin that was born on 8/23
@Wooly1 Thanks for the detailed summary! :) "House of Pain," naaaaah... The House of Pain was/is the MS LR/Plaid waiting room and issues threads - especially if you want the white interior!!!

Edit: Generally speaking, have they ironed out most of the initial MY quality and ramp up problems, or is it still a luck of the draw? Also, does Tesla still match other's trade in offers, or it that a thing of the past?

Last edited:
I'm curious on everyone's thoughts about initial Austin production. This is a custom built factory incorporsting lessons learned from Fremont and now Shanghai but it's likely very similar to Shanghai down to the equipment and tooling. So they should be able to "copy/paste" tooling settings over the Austin equipment from their successful MIC MY production lines and use the preproduction time to tweak for individual machine variations.

Because of that, I'm thinking the concerns about initial build quality out of Austin may not be as big of an issue, especially since they're likely starting with 2170 batteries and the front casting is probably the only major change.

So yeah, it's a new unknown, but I dunno that I'm really worried about it.