Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Guys,

Just got the below text. Is this even valid or a scam? Anyone got anything like this?

"Tesla Update - We currently plan to build and deliver your Model Y in September. Please reply SEPTEMBER if you are ready for delivery this month...... Please reply DELAY if you want to delay......"

OD 6/17 |MYLR7|Red/Black|19"|No FSD/Tow
Do you have the number this text is coming from? It sounds a bit like a scam. I've never heard of Tesla sending this type of update like that to customers...

Reactions: jebinc
Hey Guys,

Just got the below text. Is this even valid or a scam? Anyone got anything like this?

"Tesla Update - We currently plan to build and deliver your Model Y in September. Please reply SEPTEMBER if you are ready for delivery this month...... Please reply DELAY if you want to delay......"

OD 6/17 |MYLR7|Red/Black|19"|No FSD/Tow
Just got the same exact text. You better believe I responded with SEPTEMBER with the quickness. Lol.

0AFA3D5E-AC6C-40F2-84A0-4888D0C7FEDC.jpeg

I’m sure this has been asked but does anyone know how long the DCU approval is good for? Also do I need a VIN for application? My EDD is 9/20-9/30, (7/1 OD). I was thinking about applying now so that I’m prepared for when I get VIN. I don’t want any last minute holdups due to financing. Thank you in advance.

My exact message:

Tesla Update - We currently plan to build and deliver your Model Y in September.

Please reply SEPTEMBER if you area ready for delivery this month and we will contact you about scheduling your delivery once your Model Y is built. Please reply DELAY if you cannot take delivery this month and we will reach back out after September.
Has anyone contacted Tesla to confirm if this is a legit text from them? I may be wrong, but it sounds shady. A phone number can easily be spoofed, but can you share the number the text was sent from?

Thanks. Just saw it. Did a quick reverse lookup and this is the only info I got back:

(510) 422-0476 is a voip number serviced by Twilio - SMS/MMS-SVR.

Doesn't say much, but I understand that Tesla is a Twilio customer, at least for their chat technology. Maybe it is legit. The only way to find out is by reaching out to Tesla.
Forgot to add that it also said that the number was from Oakland, CA.

Per this comment: Model Y West Coast waiting room (May 2021 orders)

Tesla does send out text messages.
I know they do. I've received texts from them. I'm just surprised about the language. Doesn't seem the type of language Tesla would be using. And I apologize is I sound a bit suspicious. I work in cybersecurity, specifically in detecting online threats, phishing scams, shady sites, etc., and when I see something like this that doesn't look legit to me, a bunch of red flags pop up in my mind :)

I just saw the same text from the phone number 510-369-1159. I replied SEPTEMBER without any hestitation at all...oops
Meh I replied without hesitation. 510 number plus it's pertaining a Model Y order I have which currently has a Sept EDD.

Considering I haven't shared this information with friends/family or other websites that would have my phone number associated with my Tesla order, this message didn't raise any red flags.