Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Full Driving Capability - $5k - Worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I ordered a black/black M3P with Autopilot (AP) included (with the price), and the $5k for the Full Driving Capability (FDC). While I'm sure earlier versions of this issue have been discussed, given the recent restructuring of features for AP and FDC and associated costs, I'm not sure it's worth it (for me) to get FDC.

I like to drive and the car will only be used on trips longer than 30 minutes only a few times per month, and likely, such trips would only be an hour or so, once in a while, 3-4 hours.

I think AP (which presently "enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians within its lane." should be fine ... after all - I enjoy the driving experience (especially for the performance model).

While its not like I can't afford the option (I'm 54, 3 of 4 kids just finished college, and this is "Dads-reward") - I'm spending more on this car than any car I have every owned/leased in my life - by about 50%. So, a $5k savings would be great.

Thoughts??

This is neither the first nor last thread on this topic over the last couple years. Tesla history suggests the price will bounce like a rubber ball over time. Musk is now saying price will go up and maybe that is his current thinking. But when he’s looking for some quick cash at a quarter end, that thinking may suddenly change.

FYI it’s too bad you can’t still buy EAP instead of the stripped down AP. I would miss automatic lane changes. NOA that was part of EAP but not AP is something I can live without now but I have a hunch it will improve a lot over the next 12 months.

I would probably not buy now as long as you are ok with waiting a year or so for the next “sale.” I keep my cars many years so patience works out but if I flipped cars every three years or so I might feel differently. Also if FSD was a mature product instead of mostly promises, I might buy now.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why people keep asking if it is worth it to others. Worth is in the eyes of the money holder. To Bill Gates, it's not worth the time to discuss it. To a homeless person, it may represent years of food.

It is totally up to you. As you may can tell, a lot of cars have been sold with it, a lot without it. The early S/X folks who bought it are probably upset, but it wasn't unexpected.

So, it is up to you. Take a gamble, go without it or go what may be the most awesome car (more than today) in existence. With the autopilot demo scheduled soon, and Elon's hint that the price may go up dramatically on May 1, make your own decision.

Reactions: KerryOH
I didn't buy at the 2k sale price point. Bought EAP for $5k on our Model X and LR 3 RWD. After over a year my enthusiasm for it has gone down. Too many phantom brakes on autopilot, summon stops frequently, autopark is not intuitive. I think it will be years till they iron out the bugs and I'd rather not put my life at risk of glitchy software at this point. I'm sure it will eventually work but knowing me I'll be itching for an updated vehicle by the time that day comes. Already think a 400-500 mile Model X is due with faster charging. If FSD transferred to a future Tesla I may have bought it but at this point it truly is a gamble and I'd keep the money in my pocket.

Thanks. I'm thinking of eliminating it from my order ... I'm a driving enthusiast and so, don't really have a need - especially since I'm getting the performance model (took another test drive this morning - damn that 0-60 is insane!). As long as I have blind spot monitoring and adaptive cruise - I'm good.

This allows me to free up some $$ to change colors. I'll be going from black/black to red/black!

The other thing too is that - given its a software thing .. if something great happens in the future, could always upgrade (yes at a much higher price). But again - not that I would use any of these features more than a few times a year.

I'm thinking of eliminating it from my order ...

It's an aid so it should not impair your driving enjoyment but it's there in case you want it.

It's just like an extra range that most people don't need it but I am glad to have that capacity at any time!

I love its TACC in stop-and-go traffic but that is already included in your AP cost.

I also love the FSD's Auto Lane Change because like you, I am concerned about the blind spots and the system does a very decent job with its 8 cameras.

I used to think Summon was only good to show off as a trick until I had to use it once when there was only 1 last parking space left that no other cars wanted to get in because they would not be able to open the doors to get out.

It's nice to have features that I don't need but I can afford to keep it just for the rainy days!

So, for me, it's well worth the money!

This will probably be an unpopular opinion, but despite what Elon says, they are nowhere near actual FSD. I have an S with the original autopilot and a 3 with EAP. Original autopilot is still "better." That said, if you try NOA, you'll see that AP 2.5 cannot handle simple scenarios. Every time I pass an on-ramp or off-ramp, the car (Model 3) dives hard to the right. I get tons of flase positive slamming on brakes. Mad Max mode of NOA should be called Granny mode. When you put a blinker on (or it does it on its own), it takes at least 4 full seconds before it even starts to move over. NOA is a neat trick, but is useless as an actual driving tool. To contrast, I drove my S halfway across the country last week and had none of the issues that AP 2.5 has. That's not to say that 2.5 isn't better in some respects. It is. 2.5 is better in the rain and it's better on two-lane windy roads. But on interstate highways where I do 95% of my AP driving, AP 1.0 is still better. It handles on-ramps and off-ramps better and I never get phantom braking. Also, NOA cannot handle even moderate traffic. Every time I try to use it on my way to work, I have to take over or it would simply fail to take the exit because it can't deal with the merging traffic. If you used NOA for 10 minutes, you'd realize actual Level 5 is a long way off and will not be accomplished with cameras and a radar. Nobody wanted Elon to be right more than I did, but it's just not happening any time soon. There is no way you should pay $5k for FSD, especially since they keep redefining FSD as less and less capable.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: turtlesz
Thanks again everyone for the responses. So - I'm just getting the "Autopilot", which includes (just modified my order):
  • Enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians within its lane.
Which is blind spot and adaptive cruise.

Actually sticking with black/black ... the red and blue did not "wow" me enough for the extra $$. I already have a red car (2018 Mazda Cx-5 - my wife's car), and a blue car (2010 Mazda Cx-9 family truckster).

I'm happy ... saving $$ too (feel guilty enough getting a $60k care first time in my life!!), and still getting performance!! Psyched!!!

Thanks again everyone for the responses. So - I'm just getting the "Autopilot", which includes (just modified my order):
  • Enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians within its lane.
Which is blind spot and adaptive cruise.

Actually sticking with black/black ... the red and blue did not "wow" me enough for the extra $$. I already have a red car (2018 Mazda Cx-5 - my wife's car), and a blue car (2010 Mazda Cx-9 family truckster).

I'm happy ... saving $$ too (feel guilty enough getting a $60k care first time in my life!!), and still getting performance!! Psyched!!!

Another pro tip to save serious money is buy an inventory car at the end of the quarter. We scored a new non demo P3D Blue on White with autopilot for $7700 off MSRP.