Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current MS build quality?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DallasDC8

Supporting Member
Nov 19, 2023
Dallas, Texas
Hello all, first post here. Just sold my M3P. First Tesla. Drove it 7k miles. Why did I sell? I want to go faster............Lol. So, I'm thinking MSP. My hesitancy is in that 90k is a lot for a car. Yes, I understand I'd be getting a bargain compared to a year ago, but will I be unhappy with the build quality? My experience with the M3P was awesome. No squeaks, rattles, anything. Never had to do a reboot. The car worked flawlessly. I just want the same experience on the Plaid. Not really sure what specifically I'm asking, just some thoughts and opinions.............

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Reactions: dsm363
The Long range Model S isn't exactly slow either if cost is a major issue. Put correct tires on it and you'll have fun as well. But it's not the Plaid of course and it's not as quick at higher speeds as the Model 3 performance I believe. I hope but build quality is as good as my current car as well.

Hello all, first post here. Just sold my M3P. First Tesla. Drove it 7k miles. Why did I sell? I want to go faster............Lol. So, I'm thinking MSP. My hesitancy is in that 90k is a lot for a car. Yes, I understand I'd be getting a bargain compared to a year ago, but will I be unhappy with the build quality? My experience with the M3P was awesome. No squeaks, rattles, anything. Never had to do a reboot. The car worked flawlessly. I just want the same experience on the Plaid. Not really sure what specifically I'm asking, just some thoughts and opinions.............

Model 3 is better built than the Model S. You’ll have vibrations and accelerated inner tire wear without camber arms. It’s a lot of fun and fast AF, will ride better and be quieter also. Just realize you’ll love it and be frustrated at the same time

Reactions: dsm363
Model 3 is better built than the Model S. You’ll have vibrations and accelerated inner tire wear without camber arms. It’s a lot of fun and fast AF, will ride better and be quieter also. Just realize you’ll love it and be frustrated at the same time
I'm happy with the 4.5 second P85 and it rides fine. They must have made some big changed then. You'd recommend camber arms and is there any downside?

Don't buy inventory or End of Year car without being prepared to reject.

It's only 250 to order and look at the car close up.

You know about the highland and the rumoured Ludicrous trim on the M3?

If you have a good car that is 75% as fast as a plaid and half the price, why not keep it?

I have 60,000 kM on my late 21 MSLR and still love it. Build quality (IE panel fit) as good as my prior M5 ? Not quite in a couple of places but only I notice. I have a bit of the low end vibration as it accelerates through a certain speed range but rarely notice that. It is like driving a go-cart to work and home every day. I have no squeaks or rattles at all. Got a couple and the Ranger fixed quickly. Mine was a very early Palladium car and it was still near perfect.

If you have a good car that is 75% as fast as a plaid and half the price, why not keep it?
It's not 75% as fast as the plaid. M3P falls pretty flat on its face after 50 mph or so. And even if the build quality is truly better on the M3P (debatable), the actual interior design, space, comfort, and general look feel far cheaper. The MS / MX are also much quieter than their smaller cousins.

I have 60,000 kM on my late 21 MSLR and still love it. Build quality (IE panel fit) as good as my prior M5 ? Not quite in a couple of places but only I notice. I have a bit of the low end vibration as it accelerates through a certain speed range but rarely notice that. It is like driving a go-cart to work and home every day. I have no squeaks or rattles at all. Got a couple and the Ranger fixed quickly. Mine was a very early Palladium car and it was still near perfect.
The 21s seemed to have been better built than the more recent cars for some reason.

Reactions: Propofoln
It's not 75% as fast as the plaid. M3P falls pretty flat on its face after 50 mph or so. And even if the build quality is truly better on the M3P (debatable), the actual interior design, space, comfort, and general look feel far cheaper. The MS / MX are also much quieter than their smaller cousins.
If you are launching from a Stoplight I would say it is close...if on a track or dragstrip, then no.

The new highland has reported to have better interior materials, thicker glass, rear display, and REAL RGB ambient lighting.

So, it might not look as cheap or be as noisy at you might think.

Not trying to say the MS is not better, it is. The hatchback alone is a huge improvement. It's just a lot more money. If you can afford it, paying mostly cash for example, then go for it. Just make sure you have a good build and don't be afraid to reject the car, or even reorder. YOLO!

If you are launching from a Stoplight I would say it is close...if on a track or dragstrip, then no.

The new highland has reported to have better interior materials, thicker glass, rear display, and REAL RGB ambient lighting.

Not trying to say the MS is not better, it is. The hatchback alone is a huge improvement. It's just a lot more money. If you can afford it, paying mostly cash for example, then go for it. Just make sure you have a good build and don't be afraid to reject the car, or even reorder. YOLO!
M3p isn’t even in the same galaxy as the plaid. From the dig, roll whatever.

Reactions: Yelobird

Plaid and M3P launching from a stop light (or any speed for that matter) are worlds apart.

• Disagree
Reactions: Evee and Yelobird
I have a 22 Model S LR, and previously had a M3P. the Model 3 was definitely better build quality, but much more simplistic. I have had rattles that I have now corrected. I also got the steering wheel once that came out. I think the LR is plenty of power, same as the M3P. The brakes are crap given the power and weight of the vehicle, but that is also true with the Plaid unless you get the track package for $20k.

Build quality wise, the Model 3 is superior. I have had 2 door handles replaced, center console broke, had to fix a rattle myself since Service couldnt figure it out, air intrusion from the quarter panel glass, and 2 other rattles in the speaker covers. Car is less than 2 years old and has 15k miles.