Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current owners... new thoughts on 3rd row space?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that more than a few Y's are on the road, would like to hear owner opinions regarding the space for a useful 3rd row. Toddlers only, car seats only, teens, small adults.

Anyone see or remember the useless 3rd row hopper seats in the BMW X5. That's what I'm picturing but obviously have no idea what plans exist.

Going to be tight! Your local showroom/service center should have a Model Y on the floor or available to test drive (might want to call first to schedule a drive). When you see the current version you will see there’s not much space for a 3rd row besides a toddler like you said

If they do a 3rd row in the Y, they will have to make a version with a longer wheel base to accommodate. If they do it in the current version of the Y, it will be two jump seats sized for small children, placed facing the rear. And they may still have to move the 2nd row forward a couple inches to make it happen.

Y'all have some issues in your thinking. The Y is 5 inches longer than the RAV4 which until a few years ago had an optional 3rd row. Headroom will be limited by the steeply raked roof, but for shorter people and shorter trips it'll be great!

Disclaimer: grew up riding in the rear facing jump seats of a station wagon.

Y'all have some issues in your thinking. The Y is 5 inches longer than the RAV4 which until a few years ago had an optional 3rd row. Headroom will be limited by the steeply raked roof, but for shorter people and shorter trips it'll be great!

Disclaimer: grew up riding in the rear facing jump seats of a station wagon.
I think they’ll live up to the promise of adding a 3rd row seat. I just don’t think it will fit anything resembling a fully-formed human.

• Funny
Reactions: IdaBish
I think they’ll live up to the promise of adding a 3rd row seat. I just don’t think it will fit anything resembling a fully-formed human.

I'd guess 5'6-5'8 max 3rd row passenger height. Should be comfortable hip and shoulder room for 2 adults, based on the width between the wheels.

Tall enough for all of the women in my family, my kids, and (if 5'8) me.

Glad to know that none of us are fully formed ;)

I'd guess 5'6-5'8 max 3rd row passenger height. Should be comfortable hip and shoulder room for 2 adults, based on the width between the wheels.

Tall enough for all of the women in my family, my kids, and (if 5'8) me.

Glad to know that none of us are fully formed ;)
I don’t think the headroom will be a problem for people under a certain height, but the leg room. I feel the vertical and horizontal leg space is non existent. If you look under the forward storage panel in the trunk (where sandy Munro says the 3rd row will go), there’s maybe 3 inches of depth max.

I can tell you, looking at the MY that’s in my garage, it is nearly impossible that a 5’6-5’8 human with legs will be comfortable in whatever they call a third row in this car. Unless they move the 2nd row forward and reclaim some of that passenger space.

They called the tiny "jump seats" in some Porsche 911's "kinder seats". I doubt adults will fit comfortably back there for any length of time.

And I also asked this on another post but no one seems to know, will Tesla include third-row HVAC ducts back their? Our 2017 GMC Acadia had the 2+2+2 configuration (loved it over the 2+3+2 and it had a 3 zone HVAC and that lept the grandkids comfy even though they weren't sitting under a glass roof.

Rear seats fit a 6.5 ft person no problem. Rear facing seats would only be a foot away from the rear seat so the roof line slope would not be too bad. There is a trunk well can be uses as a foot rest which is currently about 14 inch high, give it about 6-8 inches for a seat so enough room for someone under 5 feet.

Rear seats fit a 6.5 ft person no problem. Rear facing seats would only be a foot away from the rear seat so the roof line slope would not be too bad. There is a trunk well can be uses as a foot rest which is currently about 14 inch high, give it about 6-8 inches for a seat so enough room for someone under 5 feet.
Nevermind, I checked again there is a beam exactly where people would sit, Kids only I guess.

Reactions: IdaBish