Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current real world 0-60 times vs. advertised for all models

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Specifically it means this: At a drag strip, the car position is measured by breaking a light beam low to the ground (think where the tire is what blocks it). So when cars stage, they try to barely block the beam since the timing will not start until the beam is behind the front tire. So while the tire blocks the beam, the ET clock hasn't started yet even though the car is moving; you can also start moving before the go signal on the christmas tree, as long as you're still blocking the light when the time starts. The 1' rollout is meant to simulate this effect since any time coming from a drag strip have this inherent feature/flaw
I've always wondered the origin of rollout, thanks for explaining it so well!

Specifically it means this: At a drag strip, the car position is measured by breaking a light beam low to the ground (think where the tire is what blocks it). So when cars stage, they try to barely block the beam since the timing will not start until the beam is behind the front tire. So while the tire blocks the beam, the ET clock hasn't started yet even though the car is moving; you can also start moving before the go signal on the christmas tree, as long as you're still blocking the light when the time starts. The 1' rollout is meant to simulate this effect since any time coming from a drag strip have this inherent feature/flaw

Also, all magazines' published 0-60 times, or 0-whatever times, are WITH rollouts.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
I'm not sure that that's true, it was not in the magazines that I used to read but maybe they've changed. I think it's possible it's a USA only thing (I had never heard of rollout until moving to the USA).

That's been my understanding. Here's what I found after a quick search.

"As does the NHRA, we subtract a "1-foot" (about 11.5 inches in reality) rollout from the launch to replicate dragstrip time measurement equipment." - Motor Trend

Testing, Testing - The Motor Trend Way - Motor Trend

2020 LR AWD with boost. Lined up next to a 2016+ Camaro SS and it was easily 2 car lengths to 60. He was reving at the light and I let off around 100 and he flew by flipping me off.

Very nice. He would gotten bludgeoned by me. We need a kill section on this forum. I used to love posting my kills on that forum. A little boxy v6 turbo intercooled spanking v8’s left and right..

• Funny
Reactions: TyH2009 and Mr X
Having owned a 2018 SS manual, yes, I would have gotten killed at a light by my LR AWD with boost. The SS was a fun-to-drive beast, but it was RWD with a ton of low-end torque. Without a perfect launch, getting the claimed 4.1 sec 0-60 was tough. Even the top quarter mile times on the Camaro leader boards ranged from 12-13 seconds@115 average for the manual and 11.9 - 12.2 seconds@115 for the auto. The 8-speed auto was the quicker of the two off the line, but the LR AWD with boost would still dominate it all the way to the quarter. After that, the SS would have the upper hand.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White