TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Current S60 owners - how’s battery/ supercharging?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by SilverSp33d3r, Nov 9, 2018.

1. SilverSp33d3r

SilverSp33d3r Member

I’ve bought a Dec2014 S60 in September of 2017.
    When I purchased the vehicle at ~58k miles it charged to 202 Miles full. I was able to supercharge from 15 % to 90% in roughly 45 mins. Road trips did not require much additional time charging.

Now, at 72k miles my full range is 187, with supercharging from 15-90% taking 15 mins longer. My charging taper seems to be SOC + kW charge rate = 95-98.
    Total capacity in my battery seems to be 53kWh.

I compared my times on empty stations with ambient temperatures at the same 69 degrees.

I’m just curious to know how any other owners with similar cars/ miles are doing regarding performance of supercharging/ full range?

2. Rifleman

Rifleman Now owns 2 Model S's!!!

I have to classic S 60's.

The 2013 is at 87,000 miles, and its 90% charge is currently sits at 177
    The 2014 is at 88,000 miles, and its 90% charge is currently sits at 181, although it had a warranty battery replacement at 40k miles.

If the cars are below 40% state of charge, they both supercharge in the 90-100 kw range. Once they get to 40%, they drop to around 50 kw, and above 60%, they drop to 30 kwh. By 80% we are down to 20, and above 90 we are around 10.

a 15-90% charge is probably close to a 90 minute charge for us, on both cars. definitely makes long road trips a bit more difficult.

I am pretty happy with how the batteries are aging from a capacity standpoint, but the supercharger rates are definitely slowing down over time for us.

3. SilverSp33d3r

SilverSp33d3r Member

I completely agree the capacity seems to be pretty stable compared to my previous EVs, however it is interesting that even with less capacity the charging takes longer. Initially I thought supercharging was hindered when range mode was turned on but it appears the change I saw was not due to range mode.

4. Rifleman

Rifleman Now owns 2 Model S's!!!

My assumption is that they tweaked the supercharging taper rates through software on the classic 60's. I know alot of early 60 packs had very bad range degradation (my 2014's origonal pack was down to 159 @ 90% when they replaced it, although it was replaced for a different issue). If high charge rates latter in the charge cycle were hurting the 60, it would make sense to change the rates through software.

5. DonD

DonD Member

An additional data point for those wondering about battery life with the "classic" S60; my 2013 S has 119,500 miles (original battery, replaced drive unit) 100% charge now registers 183 miles rated range.

6. jruiz510

jruiz510 Member

What was the range of S60 classic brand new at 100%?

7. SilverSp33d3r

SilverSp33d3r Member

• Informative x 1
  8. SilverSp33d3r

SilverSp33d3r Member

Was able to finally connect using TM-Spy, battery now has 53.9 KWH remaining. I guess I shouldn’t complain that’s about 10% degregation over 74,000 miles. If only charging speeds could maintain like they used to.

Attached Files:

9. Vinc

Vinc Member

Same car, same miles, same supercharging performance, slightly higher range (around 190).

10. SilverSp33d3r

SilverSp33d3r Member

Recently I gained access to the BMS thru TM-Spy. I’ve found my 50% battery indicator to show 29kWh remaining in the pack however the % shown by the car and TM-Spy is off by 3-4%, has anyone seen this before?