Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom bumper lights almost complete. Need help.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
41BDDE14-057D-460D-932C-535164520707.jpeg
ADF23328-6C7D-4653-9058-BB2BACA61DFE.jpeg
74D1B123-8BCB-4FEA-88F4-698CC647866D.jpeg
Hello all, my build is almost complete. I have had a mold made of the original amber side markers and replaced them with clear ones for a much cleaner appearance. (I really dislike amber)

While I had the bumper off and split the bumper lights apart I also decided to install a custom strip to replace the OEM bumper light strip.
The idea of this strip is for it to work as a DRL like the eyelid above at full brightness, dim down when lowbeams are on (again like the eyelid), and work as a turn signal. All the aesthetic work has been completed and the wiring has been merged to OEM headlight plug to be my 12v power source.

The only issue I’m having now is that when the headlight plug is connected, the power that gets drawn for the strip cuts out. When the plug is not connected the strip works as it should. I believe I need to trick LINbus into keeping a constant voltage even if there are irregularities. Can anyone chime in that may have some experience?

Here’s a picture of the clear side markers!

View attachment 475277 View attachment 475276 View attachment 475275 Hello all, my build is almost complete. I have had a mold made of the original amber side markers and replaced them with clear ones for a much cleaner appearance. (I really dislike amber)

While I had the bumper off and split the bumper lights apart I also decided to install a custom strip to replace the OEM bumper light strip.
The idea of this strip is for it to work as a DRL like the eyelid above at full brightness, dim down when lowbeams are on (again like the eyelid), and work as a turn signal. All the aesthetic work has been completed and the wiring has been merged to OEM headlight plug to be my 12v power source.

The only issue I’m having now is that when the headlight plug is connected, the power that gets drawn for the strip cuts out. When the plug is not connected the strip works as it should. I believe I need to trick LINbus into keeping a constant voltage even if there are irregularities. Can anyone chime in that may have some experience?

Here’s a picture of the clear side markers!
Good work! I hate amber too

I have a question, it’s a bit off topic.

I have the SR+, and one of my biggest gripes is that they software disabled the OEM led strip you mention. My amber lights work fine however. I’m not very good with DIY stuff (especially with cars) but would it be possible to install custom LEDs that turn on whenever the amber lights turn on?

And btw your custom lights look much better!

Thanks!

I have a question, it’s a bit off topic.

I have the SR+, and one of my biggest gripes is that they software disabled the OEM led strip you mention. My amber lights work fine however. I’m not very good with DIY stuff (especially with cars) but would it be possible to install custom LEDs that turn on whenever the amber lights turn on?

And btw your custom lights look much better!

Thanks!

Hey, thanks! Yes if you wanted an LED strip installed to act as a parking light (like OEM) then it is possible. The amber light would be the circuit you would use to supply your 12v.

Correct. They simply dont have the reflector at all.

The tricky bit is getting a hold of the fog assemblies from non US models that still meet your particular cars config (DRL bars, fogs) and at a cost effective price (OE is $300+). Most EU SCs wont sell without a VIN match.

So here is a little bit of information that I figured out for the foglights by taking apart a cheap salvage one I purchased.

There are 3 wires that go into the assembly, one is ground and the other 2 take 12v to either turn on the foglight or the amber marker and led strip. On the amber wire if the voltage is lowered only 1 of the ambers 3 LEDS come on and the strip does not come on.

If they do not offer a way to turn on the fogs for SR+ soon I was going to hardwire them on at some point.

I want to know how you managed to get the foglight open without destroying it, I baked mine for awhile at 200 degrees but didnt really seem to do anything to the glue holding it together.