Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom Made Cooling Fans for Wireless Charging Pad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With fast charging, the phone would get very hot and then slow down or stop charging when charging and running Waze
(which is every time I am in the car...). I finally got around to spending a little time and made a custom fan to cool the phone!
I noticed that my phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 8) was getting very hot when using fast charging.
The charging stop automatically when the battery is full.
However because of the heat my battery got swollen and I had to replace it recently

Replacing a battery is not too difficult, you just need to use an hair dryer to separate the back cover
from the phone. A new battery costs less than $10, so not very costly but a little bit time consuming.

I wish there was a setting to stop charging before the battery get full or if the phone get too hot.
Instead, I found some Apps which trigger a noisy alarm when the phone reach a charging level, like for example 90%.

I found the idea to put a fan to be useful, but "Prevention is the Best Medicine" so using an alarm might be a wise advise too.

So when the phone is charged, may be the simple is to remove it from the charger and to use a phone holder next to the Tesla screen
so the phone can be easy to look at, or keep the phone inside the charger and use a switch to stop the charger.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see if they will be able to make this compatible with the new MagSafe iPhones.
Anyway, since Apple didn’t add 120hz to the iPhone 12, I’m going to skip this one and wait for the 13.
Gives me another year, at least, with my current setup.

This is a little bit my reaction, in particular after watching Brian Tong's Reactions to Apple's iPhone 12 Lineup.

Sorry, but I cannot figure out how you use the fans?

Can you add a picture of the phone(s) and fans in use together.

So far, unless I'm wrong, I only noticed where you are putting your fans in storage when not in use.

I wonder if the fans can be really effective if you have a phone cover?

It might depend of course of the type of cover but in general a cover might provide some insulation,
thus not providing too much air circulation from the phone to the outside,
and also reflecting the outside air hitting the phone.

How to get fresh air if you close the door?

I would be interested knowing what kind of phone you use and if you have a cover which might works like a blanket blocking any heat convection.

Can you provide some temperature measurement using an App showing the phone temperature with and without the fan running while charging?

How can you use Waze if you close the door on top of the charger ?

Try using some shrinkable insulation wrap instead of electrical tape when making connections,
the tape glue will not stick in hot environment, so the tape might slide and short might occur.

I noticed that my phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 8) was getting very hot when using fast charging.
The charging stop automatically when the battery is full.
However because of the heat my battery got swollen and I had to replace it recently

Replacing a battery is not too difficult, you just need to use an hair dryer to separate the back cover
from the phone. A new battery costs less than $10, so not very costly but a little bit time consuming.

I wish there was a setting to stop charging before the battery get full or if the phone get too hot.
Instead, I found some Apps which trigger a noisy alarm when the phone reach a charging level, like for example 90%.

I found the idea to put a fan to be useful, but "Prevention is the Best Medicine" so using an alarm might be a wise advise too.

So when the phone is charged, may be the simple is to remove it from the charger and to use a phone holder next to the Tesla screen
so the phone can be easy to look at, or keep the phone inside the charger and use a switch to stop the charger.

Answering all of these in one :)

Pardon the poor images! It's dark now, but the fans are under the middle storage lid (the one between the cupholders and the phone holders). The fans suck air from the large storage bin below and blow it on the phone. There is heavy airflow on the bottom half of the phone, with light airflow up top; which seems to be plenty to cool the phone! This was meant to cool the phone when charging and using Waze, thus when the phone lid is open.

It is dark out now, so I found an old picture and made a quick (i.e. terrible :)) drawing of how the fans work.
Inkedtesl1_LI.jpg

Obviously someone can make a much more robust solution, but this was quick and easy!

As for the shrink tube - there is shrink tube under that :) Just an old habit of overkill; after shrink tubing I electrical tape it for good measure. Doubt there is any real value, but just in case a single strand was sticking out or a sharp strand cut the tubing just an old habit!

The numbers! I have not performed a very scientific study, but have some observations. Phone is a Note 10+ 5G in a very slim silicone case. But I did a very long drive and without the fans, the phone was about 39°C/40°C - which seemed to be when it would limit charging. When I ran the fans, max temp I saw was 34°C/35°C. This was enough that I never saw it stop charging.

My battery hygiene process is not nearly as thorough as yours! With the wireless charging, I am seeing about 30-35%/hour of charge increase while running Waze. This means I am able to get good charges when on moderate/long drives without it overheating and maintaining after 15%-20% or so charge! I am only running them on drives over 40 minutes or so. One issue is I have to make sure my sunglass sleeve below does not get sucked up into the fans; no issue so far!

Thanks all!

Wow that's a lot just to add fans. I am surprised the more premium pad designers did not put fans in. Maybe future upgrade?

It seems like the refreshed model 3 comes with a fixed wireless charging pad. Sadly this pretty much is gonna kill the 3rd party wireless charging aftermarket companies. If it wasn't a fixed addon, I could see these companies adding fans to set it apart, sadly this is not the case.

It seems like the refreshed model 3 comes with a fixed wireless charging pad. Sadly this pretty much is gonna kill the 3rd party wireless charging aftermarket companies. If it wasn't a fixed addon, I could see these companies adding fans to set it apart, sadly this is not the case.

I have been eyeing that and it looks to be - we will see! Honestly I prefer the shape of the current console, but materials (faux-leather and matte finish) are much better.