Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Customers performing their own retrofits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I enjoy following @verygreen both on here and on Twitter, because I like getting a sense for just how deep the rabbit hole can go as far as these cars of ours are concerned. Being that I have an S with AP2.0 (and thus MCU1), I absolutely love seeing his stories about performing his various retrofits, whether it be upgrading his AP2.5 hardware to AP3 or upgrading his MCU1 hardware to MCU2. So my question is, what significant retrofits can actually be performed on our cars?

MCU1 to MCU2: Yes. Difficulty seems trivial, with the caveat that you need root on at least the MCU1, probably also the MCU2.

AP2.5 to AP3.0: Yes. Difficulty seems trivial with no additional caveats required.

AP2.0 to AP3.0: Sort of (citation needed). I seem to recall seeing it mentioned that the computer swap is trivial, but the code sees the RCCC AP2.0 cameras and bails out, leaving things non-functional. I'd love it if someone could provide a source for this, assuming I'm not actually crazy and just imagining things.

RCCC (AP2.0) cameras to RCCB (AP2.5+) cameras: I don't know that I've seen reports of anyone who has actually done this, so if you have a source please share it with the rest of the class! Is it possible to just find a donor AP2.5+ vehicle and move the cameras straight over to the AP2.0 vehicle and have everything continue to function properly? I'm guessing this retrofit would require root because there's probably a config setting somewhere that stores the color filter values.

Bosch (AP2.0) radar to Continental (AP2.5+) radar: I know this is probably one of the bigger retrofits, due to the change of the wiring harness. Beyond that though, I have no idea what this would even look like. Is it possible? Is it even needed?

So, does anyone have any experience with the pieces that I'm missing? Are there any other retrofits that I'm not thinking of that might be relevant to the discussion?

AP2.0 to AP3.0: Sort of (citation needed). I seem to recall seeing it mentioned that the computer swap is trivial, but the code sees the RCCC AP2.0 cameras and bails out, leaving things non-functional. I'd love it if someone could provide a source for this, assuming I'm not actually crazy and just imagining things.

Green cited this, even citing the specific code that made it (currently) impossible to (successfully) run HW3 in an AP2.0 sensor vehicle

Basically there's code that errors out entirely if it detects the AP2.0 cameras.

RCCC (AP2.0) cameras to RCCB (AP2.5+) cameras: I don't know that I've seen reports of anyone who has actually done this, so if you have a source please share it with the rest of the class! Is it possible to just find a donor AP2.5+ vehicle and move the cameras straight over to the AP2.0 vehicle and have everything continue to function properly? I'm guessing this retrofit would require root because there's probably a config setting somewhere that stores the color filter values.
This has been done by a few people, I changed my left and right repeaters, got them on eBay for like $60 with a broken clip and sold my stock for the same $60. It was plug and play and then camera calibration.. The cameras look better color wise but I still have all other AP2.0 cameras Front, Pillars, Etc didn’t get around to changing them but now that they’re offering the upgrade I most likely won’t..

I’ve also heard heard of others who’ve done the complete retrofit and while the cameras work and look better they still have not received FSD Beta citing firmware changes possibly needs to be made in order for the new cameras to be recognized by the mothership..