Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CV boot/gaiter needs replacing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else had an outer CV boot/gaiter on the front off-side replaced? When having the front tyres replaced, folks at the garage observed that there was a lot of grease around the CV boot, and suggested that maybe it had cracked. I saw there was a similar thread about a MYLR.

Tesla are quoting nearly £700 to fix it, and I've no idea if this is a reasonable price, how important an issue it is to fix, and if it could be self-serviced (I'm crap with cars) or done elsewhere.

1697195525018.png

Seems common these days (not just Tesla) that the CV boot itself isn't available so the manufacturer charges you for a complete drive shaft. I'd say the labour is reasonable for the work (for a main dealer/manufacturer) but it may be possible for an independent to use a generic third party boot to avoid the expense of a replacement shaft - there are even boots that have a split in them to allow fitting without having to remove the shaft and are then glued together.

how important an issue it is to fix
It will result in an MOT failure so will need to be fixed.

Reactions: DeejUK
i did.
see here:

Reactions: DeejUK
It's not difficult do DIY, but if you are paying a shop to replace the boot you are better off replacing the entire shaft.

If you plan to DIY the most important thing to consider is how long the boot has been torn. A freshly torn boot is worth replacing, but a boot that has been torn for a while has likely allowed foreign material to damage the CV splines.

Reactions: EbS-P and Genie
If you plan to DIY the most important thing to consider is how long the boot has been torn. A freshly torn boot is worth replacing, but a boot that has been torn for a while has likely allowed foreign material to damage the CV splines.
I think weather/road conditions are more important than time
I've had torn boot for up to a month n it was still fine, even in the rain
There's plenty of grease left usually to keep things sliding
Of course if u see rust or it makes noise then its a no go..
For peace of mind, yeah its better to replace whole thing esp if ur paying someone...

Reactions: ngng
I think weather/road conditions are more important than time
I've had torn boot for up to a month n it was still fine, even in the rain
There's plenty of grease left usually to keep things sliding
Of course if u see rust or it makes noise then its a no go..
For peace of mind, yeah its better to replace whole thing esp if ur paying someone...

The grease is important, but IMO what's more important is that the grease has not been contaminated. The CV splines are precision parts, once they are out of tolerance you are going to hear and feel them!

Reactions: brainhouston