Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cyber(nota)truck even more Not a truck than I first thought

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are all over the various used car websites for ~$65k. Which means dealers are picking them up wholesale closer to low $50k’s. I’ve seen two recently go at wholesale auction for $47-48k. And there are a relative ton out there on the used car market >200 right now used R1T on cars.com.

It’s all just a guess, an educated one: prices have dropped, trucks aren’t selling,…. I could be wrong but I’m predicting prices to continue to fall over the next year.

There also isn’t a great market for used EV’s in general. Overall We are still in the early adapter domain, and early adopters tend to buy new. I know a guy that has already bought and sold his R1T, along with a plaid, and polestar all in the last 3 years…
If he also was in Alaska that would make total sense. Not an area designed for EV.

Probably a salvage title or something.
No. See above.
If he also was in Alaska that would make total sense. Not an area designed for EV.
Most towns in Alaska are perfect for EVs and there are a ton of them Up here. He now has a Lucid.

Gas is super expensive, there are not many roads, they do well in the cold (instant heat is nice at -40F). I’m at 9 years now in a Tesla.

Apparently 18" wheels do fit if you remove some sort of "damper" that sticks out from the spindle. Curious that the engineers didn't just make it fit 18's with zero modification when it was so close. The guy who put theses wheels on is apparently a Tesla engineer.
This looks so much better than the stock wheels and tires.
They really need to make a short wheelbase CyberSUV. The Rivian R1S is selling better than the R1T.

This thing is looking more and more like a young man's toy and nota truck.
I think the rollaway bed (Notavault, the only vaults I know with water in them have dead people in them) cover is one of the greatest fails in bedcovers that I have ever noticed. I expect that thing to be more negative as owners have to deal with it. And it ain't a damn tonneau cover. Look it up if you think you know I am wrong. Elon calls a turd a jewel and so many fools start making turd jewelry.
It was a royal f-up for God Elon to think that something that has more moving parts than the rest of the vehicle would be good.
I expressed some concerns that the rollaway door would be waterproof early on. And no one agreed with me. Several "sources" scoffed at the idea that it would leak.
The whole rollaway bed cover is a fail. It stops the bed from being useful to store stuff in because it isn't even going to protect it from the rain. It can't be used in true "Tesla camp mode" because the geniuses engineered it so there is no way to sleep in it. It isn't set up to get the HVAC into it. And if it did have HVAC going to it the air would leak out through the idiotic rollaway bedcover. And even if someone did then they'd really think they were in a coffin once they closed the rollaway lid. It would be dangerous... imagine having to get out of it in a hurry....and is there a manual crank for the bedcover? Think about it. Elon didn't.
It'd be best to think it was engineered to be a turd on wheels except for all the sharp edges.
So the score card is:
First Roadster Hard fail
Model 3 Great EV. Strong on the E not so not on the V. It is butt ugly, and looks like... an average car with duck lips.
Model X Niche product (And our second sign that elon's mind and staff cannot design a car for functionality.
Model S. A success in all things hidden. And an acceptable body in both function and look.
Cyber(nota)truck... So much good research and engineering that would be great for any car, but not a damn thing special in the truck area, especially considering functionality. Anyone getting a Cyber(nota)truck does not get a truck. It is a play toy. A thing to get so people will look at you. Anything that is great about it would be "great" in any previous or future car...not a truck.
Repeatedly the design teams at Tesla fail to deliver. Everything great about Tesla vehicles is done on the engineering side. Mainly electrical engineering and software.
When separating the drivetrain and software from the rest of the vehicles it is obvious.
Tesla has not excelled or even lead by any degree when it comes to physical design and functionality. period.
So why are you even here?

This would be one heck of an adventure.
.https://www.popularmechanics.com/adventure/outdoors/g18930165/ice-highway-barrow-alaska/
Well this is not close to true. You have to get permits from the tribe and drive across frozen ocean. And no one that lives up there would be stupid enough to do it in passenger vehicles, they would use snow machines or dog teams. I know people that have done it on their far bikes.

The ice road (Dalton) is ends in Dead Horse. From there is is ~300 miles over the ocean to Barrow. I used to go to barrow twice a year to work. In barrow you would have to charge off a diesel generator.

It isn’t a road. It is ~300 miles of the most harsh extreme conditions you could dream of. Considering I get a 70-80% range loss at -30F you would need a 1200-1500 mile range EV to even consider the possibility of making it dead horse to Barrow. Also with that 300 miles you would be ~900 miles from the closest DC charger and 1150 miles from the closest Tesla supercharger. So you would be traveling ~2000 miles with no charging infrastructure…

Also in the article they say the “paved road” ends in dead horse. Not true the “paved road” ends at the end of the Steese, at the start of the Dalton in Livengood, which is ~415 miles before you get to dead horse.

I go up that way at least once a year. It’s >900 miles one way from my house to Dead horse, almost half of the drive is on dirt/gravel.

Attachments

• IMG_1109.jpeg
    IMG_1109.jpeg
    289.8 KB · Views: 17