Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck Basecamp Tent / Camping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Buckminster

Aug 29, 2018
UK
https://shop.tesla.com/product/cybertruck-basecamp

The ability to store stuff under basecamp whilst in transit or camping will make this solution really useable. Unlike Cyberlandr etc.

1701418602676.png

1701418654335.png

Bars can stay in place:
1701418791742.png

Reactions: jerry33
It's too bad that the range extender is not really compatible with the Basecamp--unless you're shorter than 4 feet. The range extender would be really great for camping in places other than RV parks.

Reactions: Buckminster
If you look at the pics of the Range Extender (REx) you'll see that it actually appears to fit under the lighted track:

1701442813148.png

Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 7.06.01 AM.png

The tent actually opens to created a bed above the track, leaving you lots of storage below including for the REx. Seems like they could put a slide out kitchen and such under there. Although there needs to be a way to get up into the tent when someone else is cooking. Perhaps even a way to cook from inside the tent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckminster
Marques half-heartedly mentioned that the back window does not go down. This will be a real negative. A BIG negative if you planned to camp IN it. And a large percentage did.
THERE IS NO OVERNIGHT OR GLAMPING CONSIDERATION IN THE DESIGN. PERIOD. Every other Tesla is better for road trip camping than the cyber(Nota)truck. The tent option is pure HS. $3K for an unsecured awkward tent?... You might as well just get a great tent for less than $500. But you can do that kind of camping with any electric vehicle that has a 120 outlet.
Four years ago I signed up for a cyber NOTA truck because I envisioned it being a step forward into the Tesla camping aspect. It 's bed is called a damn BED!
And since the minimal amount of through space was expected to be a window that went down some of us were hoping for a brushed stainless camper shell to make the Cyber "livable." But at least the bed was going to get some AC. Now you can't even have your dogs in the bed with the window down. Not cool (pun intended)
Yes you could sleep on the back floorboard if you aren't 6ft. I am over 6ft.
And 2 people can't sleep on the floorboard.

After the Carmudgeon video I was psyched to get mine.
I never thought they would make the bed unliveable. They engineered/designed the bed to the least it can possibly be...a closet.
Love the electric improvements, love the steering. I WILL BE ABLE TO GET ALL OF THOSE IN THE NEXT Y. The BED was the big thing that the design and engineering teams had that was new.... and they put a dumb ss sliding tonneau cover on it. That looks stupid as well.and that tonneau cover delivers less and cost a boatload.
Now all the TSLA fanbois can give me a thumbs down for giving some REAL insight into the shortcoming of the cyber NOTA. You're blinded buy the fear of your stock dropping. If I had money in TSLA I'd be sad too.
A LOT of good things...but nothing that makes the cyber(NOTA)truck camp able except the clearance.

Even before the fair;u're of the design/engineering team (probably at elon's order) to not make the bed liveable because the tonneau cover is WaaaaaAAaaAaay cooler, I dreamed that this one time Elon had his head dout of his ass and would release a vehicle that was exactly like the cyber (NOTADAMN)truck, but in station wagon version. It would cost less because it would not have that worthless tonneau cover.

Having thought about this very thing while there yesterday, here's a photo I took of the back window installation.

It is so simple, sitting in a cuff at the bottom edge and being glued in place around the edges, I think it will lend itself easily to later upgrades that would let the glass retract, or, be removable.

Here's another view.

There appears to be adequate room for it in the space between the back wall and where the roll-down bed cover retracts to roll up at the base of the back wall to allow a future version to store the glass there. If not there, it could just as easily be mounted on the inside of that back wall and retract behind the seat.

There could be an aftermarket version of this made available which will retract/store the window to allow Camp Mode to heat/chill the sleeping compartment.

Those two black vent panels in the back wall could also be made to go through to the sleeper as a way to move conditioned air from cabin to bed. It does appear there may be a few different ways to solve this without much trouble.

It is certainly nothing for anyone other than an early adopter to get their knickers in a twist over.

Please accept my apologies for taking a positive and upbeat slant on your rant. ;)

The bed is not unlivable, it's actually quite utilitarian. It has a built-in L-Track system and an assortment of other tie-downs (see this video I tried time-stamping it but if that didn't work the bed overview starts at about 35.45), so one can mount a proper camper in the bed with a little ingenuity. And with 20A and 40A service right in the bed, it'll meet and exceed the needs of quite a few campers.

I got no problem cutting into/modifying new vehicles, and lots of others don't either. There will be some pretty inventive, creative, cool camping/living modifications to the CT, just you wait.

EDIT: Also, in the same video, elsewhere Lars mentions the bed cover increases efficiency by 10%, which is quite substantial. A good video, where Lars and Franz speak quite a bit, worth the watch.

I want to see someone put the Tent back in the box.
Only if she looks like Marilyn Monroe, because If I see ANYONE that bought that tent I will start feeling sorry for them unless they have other attributes that make up for their mental deficiencies.
$3k for a super-sized windbreaker on a sheet of plywood?
Tesla is getting further and further away from being a company with a thoughtful conscience, and more like a money-grubbing scammer.
Elon showed his brilliance IN THE PAST. But since he has "left the building' Tesla has become a husky of what it was.
Why Elon is not smart or willing to have people to help him with his shortcomings I do not understand, except for the fact he is an idiot savant capable of complex thinking in area of finance, transportation, energy, and space. He really should concentrate on non-people things like Twitter. And the price of tea in Gaza. He is weakening Tesla with his "Rule the world" BS.

And one other thing about that stupid expensive windbreaker.
So the bed of the cyber is 6ft long... so the tent is 6 ft long...and 4 ft wide? Hold out your hands to 4 ft. yeah. you and another person sleeping inside that dimension.
A twin mattress is 38 x 75. A full (not a queen) is 54 x 75. A cyber NOT A TENT is 44 x 72.
I can see why they don't show people trying to actually lay down in it...or climb into, or out of it. I really want to see people climbing out of it in the middle of the night to take a leak.

Last edited:
Reactions: t-mo
Also, in the same video, elsewhere Lars mentions the bed cover increases efficiency by 10%, which is quite substantial. A good video, where Lars and Franz speak quite a bit, worth the watch.
If I remove the bed cover, can I use that internal space for something else, like storage? If I could get to it. It could be about 12" diameter x 4ft, plus all the track space at the front of the bed.

Could we cut out a midgate too?

Only half kidding..

If I remove the bed cover, can I use that internal space for something else, like storage? If I could get to it. It could be about 12" diameter x 4ft, plus all the track space at the front of the bed.

Could we cut out a midgate too?

Only half kidding..
You shouldn't be. Early on Tesla patented the cyber seat. In that patent the seat gave us hope that Elon wasn't going to be a dumb*ss because the seat patent showed them to lie flat...like you could lay whole sheets of plywood in the bed with the tailgate closed.
Somewhere he decided he wanted a stupid roll down door over the bed more than versatility.

This is simply an optional accessory. Probably will see other creative camping ideas from the marketplace after lots of these CyberTrucks get out there.
Obviously it is not perfect for everybody, but it certainly stimulates the creative juices to provide other alternatives. In future iteratations Tesla may find a way to pump heated/cooled air into the bed.
Early reports show people sleeping on the foot floor of the back seat. 6' footers simply lie down on the flat floor to catch a nap.
People will find a way.

This is simply an optional accessory. Probably will see other creative camping ideas from the marketplace after lots of these CyberTrucks get out there.
Obviously it is not perfect for everybody, but it certainly stimulates the creative juices to provide other alternatives. In future iteratations Tesla may find a way to pump heated/cooled air into the bed.
Early reports show people sleeping on the foot floor of the back seat. 6' footers simply lie down on the flat floor to catch a nap.
People will find a way.
Replace the rear window with a door, put in a small fan. Bob's your uncle.

Reactions: lafrisbee
People will find a way.
The back floorboard was INSTANTLY seen as a place to sleep...for one person under 5' 10". You're a fool if you think a six ft person will have any degree of comfort back there. I've got a big Dodge Ram Pick up. On long trips I can flip the back seats up and lay down on my side in a semi fetal position. I can not lay on my back or my chest. Period.
Please enjoy sleeping in a "huge Truck" if you are under 5' 10. And that size is max. I'm 6' 2". On a standard 75" bed my toes hang off one end while my forearm rest flat against the headboard (which is at least an inch from the 75" mattress.
So just stop making lame excuses and work around for Tesla.
Tesla made a Roadster Pick up. Stupid in every way. Fast, strong, and with limited range and useability. Elon's Tesla Engineers are a flock of fumbling flying monkeys. The Wicked Witch said do it!
I wish it was not true.
Elon is even embracing Advertising liars instead of letting the truth promote his products. He's agreeing to do stupid crap like have lars limp wrist a foam baseball into the cyberNOTAtruck window as if.... BTW Lars intentionally misled people with the first Window test failure. His body mechanics were planned/done to deceive. He's practiced how to throw something with the least speed/force possible. He stepped toward the "vehicle" but was continuously trying to keep from taking his body's momentum into the steel bearing/ foam ball. It is like he almost broke his wrist trying to 'throw" the bearing out of the back of his hand before he went forward with his wrist. He did the same weak "throw" with a fake baseball. No baseball would have bounced that high off the floor after hitting a car window...well maybe a baseball made for toddlers to teeth on?
So quit making lame excuses for The dramatic shortcomings in almost every regard of the cyberNOTAtruck.
The cyberNOTAtruck is a NOTAsuccess when it concerns delivering what was stated OVER four years ago.

Areas It falls short:
Range
Size
Occupancy
Durability
Battery performance
Towing
Payload
FSD
Versatility

The only area it exceeded expectations were in Price. The original prices were what was to be expected after 2 or 3 years. 4 years should not equate to a +40% increase in cost. Especially with the cost of raw materials where they are today. Even with the failure of the battery teams to produce the performance they stated 3(?) years ago.
And I still have a small position in TSLA. I was all in a few months back. Elon musk have seen this trainwreck coming when he warned investors of tough times ahead.

Areas the cybernotatruck is great:
48 volts
Drive by wire
four-wheel Steering.
.... And that's about it. And I can get those on Tesla's other vehicles next time they update those vehicles.

Last edited: