Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CyberTruck Image Leaked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
oh. they put it into a render must mean that it's definitely coming in under ~2yrs... yup. Roaster 2 and Plaid+ are leaving the chat...
Plaid+ wasn't necessary because they improved the Plaid enough that there wouldn't be much differentiation between the two other than range, and they don't yet have the battery density to achieve that. We've seen newer versions of the Cybertruck so obviously they are actively still working on it. You really think they'd add it to a rendering if they never intended on producing it? For what purpose? They don't need the Cybertruck or the Roadster 2, they can't keep up with demand with existing products.

6. Underbed storage or spare tire? Nice idea, but not if you have to empty your bed along the highway to access a spare.
Of all things to be concerned about, really this? I’ve had to use a spare once in my 25 years of driving and at the time I had nothing in the bed of my truck. In fact, >90% of trucks travel with nothing in the bed. Seems odd to be concerned about something that so rarely occurs and unlikely you’ll have crap in the bed to empty on the highway.

Of all things to be concerned about, really this? I’ve had to use a spare once in my 25 years of driving and at the time I had nothing in the bed of my truck. In fact, >90% of trucks travel with nothing in the bed. Seems odd to be concerned about something that so rarely occurs and unlikely you’ll have crap in the bed to empty on the highway.
I just hope there is a place big enough to tuck a spare. I go out into places where calling a tow truck is often not an option. I’d prefer not having to deal with a spare in the bed or on the tailgate.

Don’t care if I have to empty the bed to get at it, so long as there is a place for it.

I'm not in the 90%. I often go places where a tow truck isn't exactly available or easy. Having a spare isn't for around town, it's for road trips. Far from home.
Truck and family loaded up and on the go. I'm not going to wait hours for a tow truck to take the vehicle to some shop in Crummyville that might not be open.
I'm slamming a new tire on (have done it before) and going on my way. I'm not anti under bed storage, , but stick the tire under the truck.

I'm not in the 90%. I often go places where a tow truck isn't exactly available or easy. Having a spare isn't for around town, it's for road trips. Far from home.
Truck and family loaded up and on the go. I'm not going to wait hours for a tow truck to take the vehicle to some shop in Crummyville that might not be open.
I'm slamming a new tire on (have done it before) and going on my way. I'm not anti under bed storage, , but stick the tire under the truck.
I don’t think it’s a big advantage crawling under the truck myself. Moving a few things out of the bed (maybe) and pulling it out of the bed means you aren’t rolling around under the truck fighting a dangling tire that weighs 80 pounds. If it’s raining, you get wet, but you don’t get soaked and completely covered in mud.

On top means you stay clean, your spare is clean and not going to be caked in mud or crap from your driving. Also easier to keep the equipment that you need to use the spare in with it and clean. You can get a jack and tire iron in here and don’t have to crawl under the truck to fetch them or risk them getting lost.

1645546934259.jpeg

All that said… if under the truck is the only option I wouldn’t complain either. It’s a rare enough thing, but when you need it, you need it.

And the spare tire storage space will be full of water.

It won’t. Rivian for example has a rubber seal around spare storage lid.
It is pretty funny that people think these basic problems haven't been considered and solved. These types of things have been around for decades.

People probably roll their eyes when they see ford/GM/ram macho truck ads where they are dumping rocks, dirt or cement blocks in the bed. Thin composites? I dunno. They may be starring in an ad soon.
Making a 3 foot by 3 foot lid which is durable isn’t rocket science.

Does bring up one of my concerns with the lid here and any sort of midgate. As soon as you add a door which needs to seal, you risk getting gravel, dirt, or other junk in the seals.