Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck is a scam.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The scam is "revealing" that the dual motor is $80K and the tri-motor is $100K. Those are FAKE prices for the media and chump deposit holders. The dual motor is $100K and the tri-motor is $120K to pad Tesla profit for years of "foundation editions".

Just like the original 2019 prices were a scam that were NEVER going to be met, even remotely, even pre-pandemic. It's all a lie.

The $7K FSD option was also a lie. It's clear that the full price $12K FSD is wrapped up into the FE pricing.

Anyway, once the ~50K or so Elon nut swingers get a CT, the demand will drop off a cliff. The $100 deposit to $100K 250 mile (real) range CT order conversion rate will be laughable.
Ok....putting you down......as.....a *NO* for Cybertruck. Cool, got it.

If you go on cybertruckownersclub.com you will see they are going in order and no one is skipping the line. you are certainly allowed an opinion, but not alternative facts. No early reservation holder is being bypassed, we all have a choice to decide if we want one based on this new information. From 2019 till now, do you think costs should stay the same? We have just gone through major inflation and a pandemic, costs and prices will rise...that is reality.
Regarding price gouging. That is not really happening. Tesla is not just throwing a price up. There are additions/options just like any car or truck has, to differentiate. Unlike with car stealerships that just mark up the car.
And, with the concept, what concept do you know of that comes as close to reality than the CyberTruck. Most other concepts are vaporware. With the Cybertruck, probably around 85% has made it to reality. Elon probably had a wish list, but not everything made it in...the engineers did an excellent job considering what they were tasked with. Give credit where it is due.
We are all allowed to rant, but try and stick to the facts.
This guy doesn't believe it:

Not saying I agree with him. Some have chimed in that placed a recent $250 deposit and already got to order their CT. *shrug*

They most certainly aren't offering Founders Editions in order. I have a low reservation number, didn't get an invite and my friend who has a higher reservation number did. We are in the same state. There are people in the many tens of thousands high reservation numbers getting FE invites and some of those who reserved earlier, not.

Tesla is such a joke, they were offering MULTIPLE FE's to the SAME PERSON.

"Scam" is a bit harsh, and I'm no fan of the production Cybertruck. Doesn't (remotely) meet expectations is a more accurate description. Scam would be you paying me for a diamond, and I deliver a lump of coal along with directions on how to use a high temperature press. Tesla is in the business of producing vehicles for a profit, and they are free to sell it at whatever price they want, which people are willing to pay for. They are not obligated to manage the paid wait-list in any particular manner, and their liability is only the amount of the money we put down to be on the wait-list. We as truck buyers can also say "nope", I'm not buying. ;)

I do agree the "range extender" will likely end up being vapor-ware, nor can I disagree with the other complaints.
Scam? Oh .. you mean like FSD! Yes that’s a scam.

Jason Camisa said in his recent video these aren't going to be used as a truck and going to be the daily toy parked next to their Lambo's. Or something along those lines. It's alright, let people have their fun and you keep complaining. Sometimes you gotta pay to play, if you don't want to partake in that it's cool. Maybe take it down a notch like Dr. Evil suggested. ;)

They most certainly aren't offering Founders Editions in order. I have a low reservation number, didn't get an invite and my friend who has a higher reservation number did. We are in the same state. There are people in the many tens of thousands high reservation numbers getting FE invites and some of those who reserved earlier, not.

Tesla is such a joke, they were offering MULTIPLE FE's to the SAME PERSON.
Not true. I charted some of the data over at the other CT forum and it does appear apart from a few outliers, they are largely sticking to the first order tiers and seem to be specifically choosing those early orders that opted for FSD in 2019. Notwithstanding the limited sample size of people on that forum being CT fans.

Not true. I charted some of the data over at the other CT forum and it does appear apart from a few outliers, they are largely sticking to the first order tiers and seem to be specifically choosing those early orders that opted for FSD in 2019. Notwithstanding the limited sample size of people on that forum being CT fans.

They are NOT sending every person FE invites in those low order tiers. I am a RN11275XXX, with 2019 FSD, and did NOT get an invite, and plenty of people with higher number orders in RN11276XXX, RN11277XXX and higher are getting invites before me.

Not that I would order one, as I've said the FE is a greed edition to skip the line. I'm just pointing out the fact they are skipping early reservation people and not even offering them the FE as yet another middle finger.

Cybertruck is such a scam. Tesla bypassing early reservation holders to see who will pony up an extra $20K ON TOP of a ~50% price increase on all models from reveal.

Same exact things were stated 5 years ago when I got my Performance Model 3. Exactly the same.

181k miles later. It's the best vehicle purchase I ever made.

My Tesla clock has re-started after my Cybertruck reservation.

I'd like to see that picture. A nice souvenir for the price I have paid for FSD over the years...

5 Years ago, I paid $8k for what is being referred to as FSD.

153k miles later of it driving - I can't find another platform that will get me from my driveway to Naperville Il (32 miles away) with no interventions. I've asked and asked on this forum for a comparable system that will function the exact same way. I received 1 recommendation about Subaru's system - that doesn't even steer.

I can't wait to use it on my CT.

Last edited:
Do you just tap on the Map and the car just drives you there once FSD is engaged? Any issues with cross traffic when FSD backs out of the driveway?

I summon my car out of the garage by itself (it opens the garage door on its own - then closes it when it exits). Then I get in in the driveway.

Most of the time I hit the right scroll wheel and vocally say where I want to go ("Navigate to Tesla Naperville") and then wait about 3-5 seconds for the car to indicate that it has the route ready. It indicates that the route is ready by showing the route mapped in blue on the screen.

Then I engage FSD and rest my hand on the wheel. And wait until I get there. It does all of the turning -lane changing - stopping at stop lights - stopping at stop signs - entering the expressway - lane changes - off ramps - local driving - turn signaling - etc while following the blue path on the screen.

Last edited:
Do you just tap on the Map and the car just drives you there once FSD is engaged? Any issues with cross traffic when FSD backs out of the driveway?
FSD doesn’t do driveways or parking lots yet. You pull out of your driveway onto the street, then engage FSD. It drives to the address you give it, but it doesn’t pull into residential driveways or park in lots - though it’s clear from summon they’ll be able to add that in time.

The current version of FSD is incredible but it’s not perfect, except maybe on highways. Off the highway it’s shocking how good it navigates through what it sees, but it will hesitate in odd ways at odd times occasionally. Fortunately it hesitates when it’s unsure, versus barreling through and risking an accident. FSD is very cautious around pedestrians, as it should be. FSD is more cautious than a normal driver driving through tight spots when cars aren‘t in normal positions - you will get honked at if you don’t intervene.

And FSD can still be blinded by heavy rain or snow. It works but hesitates more in extreme darkness as well.

OTOH I recently drove through construction zones on two separate occasions recently, and thought ‘FSD won’t be able to handle this’ - but to my complete surprise it did! In one case, two lane road, one lane closed for repair lined with orange cones, all traffic alternating using the one open lane. So that meant the car had to stop and wait at a temp stoplight, then proceed against the normal flow of traffic in the open lane, and switch back to the right lane after the construction zone. It did all that with almost no hesitation - amazing.

Last edited:
Ya this price gouging on the "Founders Edition" really put a bad taste in peoples mouths. Thought with direct sales we were getting away from dealer gouging. But Tesla just replaced the dealers with their own gouging. Everything these days is a scam.
I tried to warn people of this over the last 1-2 years as I watched when Tesla raised the price of a Model Y by $17,000 in a single year. We all seem to agree that random dealer markups suck.. but you know what sucks even worse = Manufacturer markups via direct sales. Because if a single dealer down the street is adding $10K to the price of every Toyota he has on the lot.. I can just go to another Toyota dealer and buy the exact same car cheaper. This is why I've bought my last 6 or so vehicles out of state.. I've always done as many dealers in the DC/MD/VA area started adding BS "Dealer fees" over the past 20 years.

The other reason why a Manufacturer's markup via direct sales is worse.. it KILLS the resale value of the vehicle. The depreciation is absolutely massive. Just a year ago Tesla was charging $69,990 for a new 2022 Model Y Performance with no added options. You can now find 2022 Model Y Performance all over used car sites for $40-45K. Hell, I just reserved a 2023 Model Y Performance for $48,820 thanks to inventory discounts. Again, even worse.. some paid upwards of $160K for a new 2022 Model S Plaid or X Plaid directly from Tesla.. and now you can find a used 2022 Plaid S or X on most used card sites for $70-75K.

Anybody who bought a 2022 Tesla at MSRP has taken the worst depreciation hit I've ever seen in the entire car industry. And the same is going to happen to these Founders Edition Cybertrucks. People spending $135K on a Cybertruck are going to be devastated.. as mass production numbers on this truck eventually crank up.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
I tried to warn people of this over the last 1-2 years as I watched when Tesla raised the price of a Model Y by $17,000 in a single year. We all seem to agree that random dealer markups suck.. but you know what sucks even worse = Manufacturer markups via direct sales. Because if a single dealer down the street is adding $10K to the price of every Toyota he has on the lot.. I can just go to another Toyota dealer and buy the exact same car cheaper. This is why I've bought my last 6 or so vehicles out of state.. I've always done as many dealers in the DC/MD/VA area started adding BS "Dealer fees" over the past 20 years.

The other reason why a Manufacturer's markup via direct sales is worse.. it KILLS the resale value of the vehicle. The depreciation is absolutely massive. Just a year ago Tesla was charging $69,990 for a new 2022 Model Y Performance with no added options. You can now find 2022 Model Y Performance all over used car sites for $40-45K. Hell, I just reserved a 2023 Model Y Performance for $48,820 thanks to inventory discounts. Again, even worse.. some paid upwards of $160K for a new 2022 Model S Plaid or X Plaid directly from Tesla.. and now you can find a used 2022 Plaid S or X on most used card sites for $70-75K.

Anybody who bought a 2022 Tesla at MSRP has taken the worst depreciation hit I've ever seen in the entire car industry. And the same is going to happen to these Founders Edition Cybertrucks. People spending $135K on a Cybertruck are going to be devastated.. as mass production numbers on this truck eventually crank up.
Markups don't kill resale. Price cuts kill resale.

People buying special editions early obviously don't care about resale value.