Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck is a scam.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody who bought a 2022 Tesla at MSRP has taken the worst depreciation hit I've ever seen in the entire car industry.

I depreciate our vehicles at the end of every year. Most of our vehicles are older - a 2005 Element, a 2006 Ridgeline and a 2011 Ford Flex - and depreciate little, if at all, year over year. I think the Element actually went up a tiny bit in value in the last year. Of course, that was NOT the case for our 2022 M3LR bought in Feb 2022. OUCH!!!

Then again, we've put 54,000 mies on it, traveling many highway miles, north as far as Ottawa and south as far as Key West, with maybe a dozen other FL trips and trips to IN and MD and coastal NC. It's been the most exhilarating and fun-to-drive car we've ever owned. The depreciation is what it is, but as Karen and I like to say, we have no egrets! ;)

Reactions: Yelobird
Anybody who bought a 2022 Tesla at MSRP has taken the worst depreciation hit I've ever seen in the entire car industry. And the same is going to happen to these Founders Edition Cybertrucks. People spending $135K on a Cybertruck are going to be devastated.. as mass production numbers on this truck eventually crank up.

And it's even worse if you purchased a 2021 Plaid, as I foolishly did. Yes, "Founder's CT" purchased early will take a large depreciation hit in the next year or so - if for no other reason than the later ones will have many changes incorporated (same happened with the 2021 refreshed S/X lines.

I tried to warn people of this over the last 1-2 years as I watched when Tesla raised the price of a Model Y by $17,000 in a single year. We all seem to agree that random dealer markups suck.. but you know what sucks even worse = Manufacturer markups via direct sales. Because if a single dealer down the street is adding $10K to the price of every Toyota he has on the lot.. I can just go to another Toyota dealer and buy the exact same car cheaper. This is why I've bought my last 6 or so vehicles out of state.. I've always done as many dealers in the DC/MD/VA area started adding BS "Dealer fees" over the past 20 years.

The other reason why a Manufacturer's markup via direct sales is worse.. it KILLS the resale value of the vehicle. The depreciation is absolutely massive. Just a year ago Tesla was charging $69,990 for a new 2022 Model Y Performance with no added options. You can now find 2022 Model Y Performance all over used car sites for $40-45K. Hell, I just reserved a 2023 Model Y Performance for $48,820 thanks to inventory discounts. Again, even worse.. some paid upwards of $160K for a new 2022 Model S Plaid or X Plaid directly from Tesla.. and now you can find a used 2022 Plaid S or X on most used card sites for $70-75K.

Anybody who bought a 2022 Tesla at MSRP has taken the worst depreciation hit I've ever seen in the entire car industry. And the same is going to happen to these Founders Edition Cybertrucks. People spending $135K on a Cybertruck are going to be devastated.. as mass production numbers on this truck eventually crank up.

You are so right. Manufacturer price gouging is way worse. Jeep is going through the same thing. Jeep has raised prices like 20+% over the last three years and now they are feeling some serious pain.

After those first ~50K or so gotta have it now "FOMO" people get their Cybertruck Founders Editions, the values are going to absolute fall off a cliff.

You are so right. Manufacturer price gouging is way worse. Jeep is going through the same thing. Jeep has raised prices like 20+% over the last three years and now they are feeling some serious pain.

After those first ~50K or so gotta have it now "FOMO" people get their Cybertruck Founders Editions, the values are going to absolute fall off a cliff.
Just like they did with the refreshed 2021 Model S/X/Plaid - still falling like a stone in a vacuum.

You're hilarious. I won't bother to correct your misinformation, your mind was made up before you posted...cheers.
Agreed. The scam was never with Elon going to “direct sales”, The 70,s, 80’s and 90’s, let alone up until now, why is it the most gas cars drop sizably after being driven off the car lot historically? You really think those car salesman making pretty darn good bucks, weren’t part of that scam?

I will admit that Elon is not real good at predicting when the next charging station will go live or when those of us in the front end of the CT line will get their new truck, probably 2025 or 2026, but who cares? I’m driving my old 2016 X, which has plenty of “bells”, but not all the “whistles” and free lifetime charging. Thanks Uncle Elon.

Yes, I am looking forward to all of the kinks getting worked out before I get my CT. Getting FSD on the cheap (er) at $7K, seems fair and shows that the supply and demand marketplace, almost always works itself out. I’m not pleased or excited about the recent price increase or the drop in CT range, but I sure as heck trust Tesla, a whole lot more than Ford, GM or Chrysler.

Agreed. The scam was never with Elon going to “direct sales”, The 70,s, 80’s and 90’s, let alone up until now, why is it the most gas cars drop sizably after being driven off the car lot historically? You really think those car salesman making pretty darn good bucks, weren’t part of that scam?

I will admit that Elon is not real good at predicting when the next charging station will go live or when those of us in the front end of the CT line will get their new truck, probably 2025 or 2026, but who cares? I’m driving my old 2016 X, which has plenty of “bells”, but not all the “whistles” and free lifetime charging. Thanks Uncle Elon.

Yes, I am looking forward to all of the kinks getting worked out before I get my CT. Getting FSD on the cheap (er) at $7K, seems fair and shows that the supply and demand marketplace, almost always works itself out. I’m not pleased or excited about the recent price increase or the drop in CT range, but I sure as heck trust Tesla, a whole lot more than Ford, GM or Chrysler.
Right on. Love my 2016 dinosaur X. Thank you Elon. You really know how to make a car. Service has been exceptional.
My Chevy 3500 s..ks
Gladly gave $1,000 to get a beast, hopefully this year

Right on. Love my 2016 dinosaur X. Thank you Elon. You really know how to make a car. Service has been exceptional.
My Chevy 3500 s..ks
Gladly gave $1,000 to get a beast, hopefully this year
My 2012 Ford Expedition beats your Chevy, any day. Bought it loaded for $67K, just 12 years after my 2000 Eddie Bauer 2000 Expedition for $36K. That really s…s. How did that $30k price increase happen? Should have gone to a more reputable auto dealer or perhaps VA/MD/DC and gotten a better deal.

Now that I hear that the CT, is a lot like the Model X, in terms of how it drives, but we already know that a CT (especially 3 motor) and an X, has to be “apples vs oranges”, I will take whatever Elon offers when my number is called in 2025. For $80K or less- I’m all in. Ford, GM or Chevy? Never, ever, again.

Not class leading, or “as advertised,” previously, by the Great Charlatan, either.lWhy need class needing as gen 1
Remember this is Gen 2 4680
They will then do 3a hybrid dry cell in 2024Q4, plus 10% range
And then pure dry cell 2025Q4, plus 10% range
Steps are
2024Q1 now 340 miles range
2024Q4 ~380 miles
2025Q4 ~410 miles
For a new battery tech
Not bad

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc and EXOTIC1
Remember this is Gen 2 4680
They will then do 3a hybrid dry cell in 2024Q4, plus 10% range
And then pure dry cell 2025Q4, plus 10% range
Steps are
2024Q1 now 340 miles range
2024Q4 ~380 miles
2025Q4 ~410 miles
For a new battery tech
Not bad
Those timelines can't be trusted. Obviously Tesla will try to make improvements, but are already severely behind on the 4680. As Elon said, "Making batteries is hard".

I see lots of criticism but none of them addressed the points raised by the OP and he/she made several excellent points.

On the plus side, I got an extra $1,000 off our new Model X and I’m keeping my order for the Cybertruck in place. Let’s see how things go…
Same here
We love our Y
If CT becomes available for us we will be torn
Keep both?

They are leaving modern battery and vehicle design, engineering, and manufacturing globally

Please give them some slack

Don’t be hatters
Don’t be a Koolaid chugger, either…

Image 6.jpeg