Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck is a scam.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
using the "wrong" charging stall. lol. joke aside... once you can charge nearly all EVs at the superior Supercharger network... the options when buying an EV open up massively. Especially with comparable EVs starting to be priced ~Tesla prices (Ioniq 6 vs. Model 3 ; Lightning vs. Cybertruck , EQE vs. Model S and so on)

I do 99% of my charging on private chargers (work mostly and very occasionally at home). I guess I’d just assumed this was the case for most EV owners…

I have to counterpoint a few things here. Insurance could be more, especially for something like the Cybertruck. But, that's not always the case. While we bounce around a bit between insurers, our Tesla Model S and Model 3 have had okay insurance prices.

Tires have not been an issue. No noticeable lifetime difference from other cars I've had. I don't know, maybe it would be different if you compared it to say a minivan or some other bland boring car. But comparing it to other cars I've owned, like a 2011 Mustang GT, the tires last at least as long. Some of that is just in how you drive it. If you are taking advantage of that 3 second 0-60 all the time, sure, the tires will wear out more quickly than on a typical car.

Higher maintenance costs is not a thing. My EVs have needed almost zero maintenance. The only maintenance has been on silly tech things like the extending door handles on the Model S that like to fail.

If you mostly charge at home, the cost per mile definitely beats gasoline. It's only when you compare to the overpriced CCS fast chargers out there that the fuel costs look bad (0.48 per kWh vs 0.12 per kWh is an enormous difference; imagine if you could put gasoline in your car at home for $3 per gallon, but the gas station was charging $12 per gallon). Those prices are a concern for now, but should become cheaper in time when the infrastructure becomes more common.

Setting up L2 charging at home can cost a bit in some cases, but at least it's just a one time cost. Once it's there, it's always there.

Higher registration costs is a thing, but I hate to hold that against EVs. It's only a thing because anti-EV politicians are trying to tax the hell out of EVs (because Republicans love to tax people? The recent major increases in fees and taxes in Missouri was sponsored by a Republican in St. Louis), resulting in EVs costing 2x, 4x or more compared to the gas taxes that the increased registration fees are supposed to cover for.

Depreciation is probably a real issue that will continue for some time. The long term good news there is it's largely just fear driven. People are afraid they will need to replace expensive batteries every 5 years. Once it becomes commonplace to see 20 year old EVs driving around on their original batteries, I think that fear will subside and depreciation will no longer be an issue.

Long story short, there are some negatives to EVs right now, but there are benefits as well. And everything is on track to continue to improve to where I think EVs will match or exceed gas cars in all areas within the next 20 years. But if you want to wait until that becomes a reality, I completely understand that. I'll take the few negatives for now because I can afford it, see the long term benefits, and want to support the technology. It's got a bright future, but granted it is still a work in progress right now. Though perhaps not as bad as you think.

You made some valid points except they really don't address my post very directly.

1) Glad you get good tire wear from your EVs. It's well documented that most don't however. The industry average is 30% quicker.
2) ICE vehicles are very reliable and nearly maintenance free. The reality is that EVs do in fact cost more to maintain and operate currently than ICE vehicles, statistically speaking.
3) Of course, I assumed home charging costs because charging away from home is a huge money loser for EVs.
4) Assuming you never move again, yah setting up home charging is a 1x cost. What percent of people do you think will never move again in the rest of their driving days? I'd say less than 5%. It's also enough of a cost for the charging upgrades at some homes, that it would pay for gas for an economy car for several years outright.
5) I'm not 'holding higher registration cost against EVs, no more than I'm holding higher registration costs against modern diesels. Or oil changes against ICE, or... The fact is that in TX (and I guess MO) when you buy a new EV they add $400 to your invoice (new vehicle registration is good for 2 years, instead of 1), and $200 at every renewal. And unless you happen to sell your EV exactly the month registration expires, you also lose the balance of that. Do I agree it's punitive and excessive from Republican lawmakers? Probably. But we still have to pay it and therefore it's a real cost that has to be considered in the life cycle costs.
6) I don't know if the very high EV depreciation (Teslas depreciated 30% in 2022, highest in the industry) is fear driven as much as technology driven. I think most consumers keep thinking there is going to be a big jump in battery tech and are waiting for that. I personally think it's going to be 10+ years for any substantial improvements (say 35% improvement in the same weight/ volume).
7) I'm not really 'waiting' for EVs to get better but instead just choosing the best fit for me personally. At this time that's my Powerboost F150 hybrid and the next will likely be the Ram Charger with the on-board generator or instead an additional car, that would be an EV which would not be a money saver, but just lots of fun.

~ take care

didn't Elon try to get everyone on the same page from day 1... but everyone is greedy and now they're a decade behind on charging ports...?

NO.

What happened was that every major manufacturer approached Musk to try and license NACS (then called CCS) and Musk flat out refused well over a decade ago, at any reasonable cost, reasoning that the Tesla charging station advantage was a key to his success.

So, the other manufacturers jointly created, J1772, a universal and open license standard that is considered future proof for higher charge rates.

Then the IRS (Inflation Reduction Act) passed and it had provisions to provide funding for 'open to all' charging station construction and maintenance. This is when Musk renamed CCS to NACS to try and collect that government money and he announced that anyone could use it. But by that time, it seemed to be too late as J1772 was already established.

What saved Musk and resulted in everyone switching to NACS and now government funding going to NACS stations, was the severe fumbling by EVGO to keep their stations operational, consistently. If you go back even further, the EVGO stations were funded by VW as part of their Dieselgate punishment, but in the Feds infinite wisdom they required VW to build the stations but with no maintenance or reliability standard in place, so there was no punishment for 'faulty' stations. So, we got what we got.

Because as usual, the government fumbled.

Musk would not be the rich man he is today if not for consistently choosing industries that are poorly regulated but highly subsidized by the government. In fact, many wealthy people make their money in this way, going after government money in the way of military contracts or otherwise.

You made some valid points except they really don't address my post very directly.

2) ICE vehicles are very reliable and nearly maintenance free. The reality is that EVs do in fact cost more to maintain and operate currently than ICE vehicles, statistically speaking.

4) Assuming you never move again, yah setting up home charging is a 1x cost. What percent of people do you think will never move again in the rest of their driving days? I'd say less than 5%. It's also enough of a cost for the charging upgrades at some homes, that it would pay for gas for an economy car for several years outright.

6) I don't know if the very high EV depreciation (Teslas depreciated 30% in 2022, highest in the industry) is fear driven as much as technology driven. I think most consumers keep thinking there is going to be a big jump in battery tech and are waiting for that. I personally think it's going to be 10+ years for any substantial improvements (say 35% improvement in the same weight/ volume).

7) I'm not really 'waiting' for EVs to get better but instead just choosing the best fit for me personally. At this time that's my Powerboost F150 hybrid and the next will likely be the Ram Charger with the on-board generator or instead an additional car, that would be an EV which would not be a money saver, but just lots of fun.

~ take care
2. my EVs definitely have cost me less in maintenance than my Prius. and the Prius is the most reliable, nearly maintenance free, inexpensive to maintain vehicle on the planet (maybe an exaggeration, maybe not?). and the Rav4 EV and the i3 REX have had essentially 0 maintenace expenses (excluding tires and alignments, which are necessary for any car). even brake pads, never had to do any of them after a total 130k miles between the two of them in the last 4 years.

4. I have moved several times, and brought my chargers with me. running conduit from a box to where you plug your charger to is not at all exotic (in fact, it's a walk in the park for an electrician circa 2012). < $500 for the install, definitely going to beat the price of gasoline very rapidly.

6. there's nothing to wonder about here regarding depreciation. to understand supply vs demand, look at the quantity of cars available, and the tax incentives available for the car you want, and the tax incentives for the competitors. there was a period when a used Model 3 was selling for more than a new Model 3, because demand was irrational and the market was "exuberant" and it was early in the existence of the M3, so the run rate was slow, and there were not many in existence. now, there are more choices for EVs, the Model 3 production rate is humming, and without tax incentives, Tesla had to reduce new prices. the price of a new M3 drives used M3 values. it's neither magic, nor feelings. (it's impressive that Tesla has that much margin to available to cut - a position i'm certain other manufacturers seriously envy)

7. which is why it's absurd to think that others aren't doing the same for themselves. they are optimizing for their constraints and priorities. I think the Ram Charger is on the right track as a gas enabled range extended vehicle. but it's a Chrysler product, so you know it's going to be *sugar* and worthless in 2 years. there's a reason the gov't buys Chrysler/Dodge/Ram things in bulk - they are vehicles that aren't expected to be useful past 3 years, but it supports a few hundred thousand jobs, so the CDR cars are put into service (like police) where the vehicle is likely to be thrown away at some point in the course of its duty. they replace it with another CDR product to keep those hundreds of thousands of jobs in perpetuity, which in the Grand scheme, is a good thing. but I wouldn't put my money or family in one, lol. as for a Ford product, I don't know why (if buying new) one doesn't just spend a few K more to upgrade to a Toyota.

WW - just like yours! from the way back machine, I had a GG 9 MR, which I should've kept, but I replaced it w/ an E30 M3. that was an amazing experience, but did not match the Evo, so I came back even more ridiculous core and started DDing my track car / RS. like, no AC in the humid Southeast summer. I wrenched, swapped my own rotors and pads in between sessions, carried E85 everywhere, wholesale slaughter of very exotic / expensive cars in falcon-wing like absurdity, having a really grand time. what a time to be alive.

Hahahahhaha! These kids have no idea, man! YES! Wicked White! or didn't they call it Winning White? Or something... man... a lifetime ago.. this is my fun car now:

image_67234049.JPG

• Love
Reactions: Suns_PSD
2) ICE vehicles are very reliable and nearly maintenance free.

Maybe when relatively new.

But we just got out from under two older ICE vehicles (a 2006 Honda Ridgeline and a 2011 Ford Flex, both bought used), and I can guarantee you they were NOT maintenance free. Neither was a lemon, but little things were cropping up on a regular basis, and one BIG thing that made the Flex not worth fixing.