Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck is a scam.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
interestingly, the 4k EV rebate hasn't had the effect on pricing that I would have expected, which is to increase the price of used EVs. at least, not yet. as a result, a $4k point of sale rebate is not resulting in a $10k loss of value (that math isn't adding up anyway, please re-explain). what is likely happening is dealers must price the car in accordance with market price, because not everyone can or will take the $4k point of sale rebate. they aren't able to price it in such a way that anticipates a used EV point of sale credit. so that means if I sell this particular car, i'm already at the bottom of the depreciation curve, I think i'll be able to sell it for just a few K less than what I bought it for.

I hate to point out the obvious, but if anyone lost $10k in value it was probably due to overpaying for the car by purchasing during a hype cycle. for some, that's when it was brand new and people were losing their minds and acting irrationally, such as the earliest years of the model 3. heck, Elon himself pointed out that the price of these Teslas would drop as the run rate increased, as well as in response to competition, or as a result of a loss of tax credits. so, I think these hype cycle buyers were not cross shopping ICE cars or other EV brands, but primarily fulfilling the #1 need which was a Tesla, NOW. also, Tesla was lauded for having in-housed the production of certain components that other manufacturers had not, which gave them a competitive advantage during that time. in some ways, the hype surrounding the brand at that time was actually rational.

if any of this sounds familiar, then consider if the same thing will happen (or is currently happening) with CT.

I remain enthusiastic about Teslas but I was never going to pay their new / retail price. alas, I was without a Tesla for many years. but getting one at 1/5th of the original cost, with free electricity courtesy of Elon and Co, feels pretty good. I think of it as saving up for future maintenance expenses, which would happen even with a car purchased new. except, again, my starting point is at 14% of original cost. car runs great, it's a fast good looking commuter with a lot of space for my construction activities, and I usually work out while the car is plugged in and harvesting free electricity at a supercharger. I'm more than fine with no more software updates for this car.

I'd like to thank Tesla for increasing their supply, and Uncle Sam for incentivizing EV adoption.

a rare case of the poor getting richer.

Just took this random Model 3 off the lot, your right not $10K if they pay down Tax, License, Reg. Same as the CarMax offer for the CT $76k off an $80K MSRP, and actually that's a pretty good offer considering from that $80k you get $7500 off. Again, all the extras a worthless.

Autotrader.jpg

Carvana Model 3.jpg

Same Vin, Mileage, etc. etc. -$4k if they qualify then you are correct. A $3k loss right off the bat.

Exhibit A

No hubcaps, No FSD, No Lockers, No AP, Dings on the body, Screens going out= "Doesn't bother me"

Elon: "See, what did I tell you. They'll buy anything"

How many screens went out? One? Cherry picking a few examples to make your point with dings and screen(s).

Hub caps, FSD, AP, and lockers will come. I am fine with that. I am buying the truck because I want it and I know I am a beta tester. I buy products from companies I like and Tesla has treated me great, except my botched Model 3 delivery, since 2017. I would much rather get a Cybertruck minus parts than deal with Ford dealership to buy a Lightening. Dealership markups, security packages which are not optional, dealing with salespeople harassing me to sell GAP insurance and extended warranties, and dealerships calling me repeatedly for servicing my EV's.

I vote with my dollar and spend my money how I want. You can do the same.

How many screens went out? One? Cherry picking a few examples to make your point with dings and screen(s).

Hub caps, FSD, AP, and lockers will come. I am fine with that. I am buying the truck because I want it and I know I am a beta tester. I buy products from companies I like and Tesla has treated me great, except my botched Model 3 delivery, since 2017. I would much rather get a Cybertruck minus parts than deal with Ford dealership to buy a Lightening. Dealership markups, security packages which are not optional, dealing with salespeople harassing me to sell GAP insurance and extended warranties, and dealerships calling me repeatedly for servicing my EV's.

I vote with my dollar and spend my money how I want. You can do the same.

How are you still a Beta Tester? Tesla is no longer a Startup.. is that really treating you great?

Your paying a $20k markup right now, the only thing you aren’t doing is talking to someone face to face

You’re voting for mediocrity from a company that can do better.

I received the message from Tesla to design my Cybertruck for Feb - April delivery, but I don't have room for it now that I moved into a condo and only have 2 spaces, which I use for my Model S and Model Y. I don't know if I can assign it to anyone, and it is only for the Foundation Series. View attachment 1013242

Mind if I/ we ask where you were in the order que? How long after deposits were being accepted did place yours?

How are you still a Beta Tester? Tesla is no longer a Startup.. is that really treating you great?

Your paying a $20k markup right now, the only thing you aren’t doing is talking to someone face to face

You’re voting for mediocrity from a company that can do better.
Tesla has only been selling production vehicles for 10 years and is making products I want. They are pushing innovation forward and made an insane concept car into reality that no other car company has done.

I am fine with paying a $20,000 markup right now. I have the choice of not paying for it and getting the $80,000 version with $7500 point of sell credit in the future. again, my choice.

Driving my MYP doesn't seem like mediocrity to me. It is the best vehicle I have ever owned and it is not even close.

Sure, you can go buy a Used Tesla or any EV for that matter and get you $4k POS rebate...... guess what, your is now worth $10k less, so you paid $25k and now its worth $15k ($6k regular depreciation plus $4k rebate) no warranty, and no software support. Sure you'll get updated Fart sounds, but real software support? Not a chance. Good luck.

The fact is a used ICE is worth more than a used EV until gas prices start going up.

How do the feds prevent the same EV from getting the rebate multiple times?

If you had a dealer's license one could easily buy an EV, collect a $4K rebate, bocket around $2.5K of it as the rest would be lost to sales tax, then 'trade it in' and sell it to their wife and collect another $4K, and then just keep going collecting $4K with every transaction.

Reactions: T3SLAROD

If you had a dealer's license one could easily buy an EV, collect a $4K rebate, bocket around $2.5K of it as the rest would be lost to sales tax, then 'trade it in' and sell it to their wife and collect another $4K, and then just keep going collecting $4K with every transaction.

Good point and good question.

Tesla has only been selling production vehicles for 10 years and is making products I want. They are pushing innovation forward and made an insane concept car into reality that no other car company has done.

I am fine with paying a $20,000 markup right now. I have the choice of not paying for it and getting the $80,000 version with $7500 point of sell credit in the future. again, my choice.

Driving my MYP doesn't seem like mediocrity to me. It is the best vehicle I have ever owned and it is not even close.

What innovation?

Everything in the CT has been done before. 800v architecture maybe?

I understand now, the MYP is the best you’ve ever owned, that says a lot. I hope your CT treats you well, don’t be afraid to dislike things about it, your dislike will bring product improvement.

What innovation?

Everything in the CT has been done before. 800v architecture maybe?

I understand now, the MYP is the best you’ve ever owned, that says a lot. I hope your CT treats you well, don’t be afraid to dislike things about it, your dislike will bring product improvement.
I take it you aren’t going to buy one? If true, why again are you here?

Carmax lost a LOT of money on Tesla inventory over the last 2 years, so it's my opinion that they are playing it extra safe on their CT wholesale appraisal.

Also, the market is just an unknown at this point, but they aren't in the business of hoping to get over MSRP.

Realistically anyone will be able to buy a new CT at list price in 12 months, and within 24 months Musk will lop 20% off the price. So buyer's beware.
Yes then add in for Hugh depreciation and the results will be everyone will be way underwater.

Reactions: T3SLAROD

the car must be purchased from a dealer for the 4k credit. also, there is a database that tracks the vehicles that are being sold with the $4k credit, the dealer has to input the data in order to receive the $4k from Uncle Sam. this largely answers why your thought, while interesting, will have problems because likely the VIN being sold for a $4k credit more than once will prevent that dealer from getting the $4k.

Reactions: buckets0fun
Because I own a Model 3 and the thread title is “Cybertruck is a Scam” not “I love my Cybertruck”

This isn’t the “Please love my Cybertruck” thread so the question is….. why are you here?
trying to figure out what type of person spends time bashing on a vehicle they don’t intend to buy… a vehicle they’ve never touched or seen for that matter… do you also post negative reviews on Amazon for items you never purchased?

$200+ is not bad for right now...our 2014 model s is $250 through SF in FL. But like you mentioned, insurers learned the cost of repair the early model S' and jacked up the prices. Will be interesting to track CT insurance rates over the next 24-months.
my Model 3 2019 insurance premiums keep going up.... and the car gets worth less... no accidents and with USAA. insurers have realized how $$$ expensive these vehicles are to repair with limited selection of body shops and ridiculous wait times for parts...

my Model 3 2019 insurance premiums keep going up.... and the car gets worth less... no accidents and with USAA. insurers have realized how $$$ expensive these vehicles are to repair with limited selection of body shops and ridiculous wait times for parts...
An aside;

For me USAA is the highest insurance there is. Been a member for 13 years, but they are never close to others, especially when it comes to bundling.

I called USAA when my insurance went up for 3 vehicles (equal %)… they said it’s up in every state and for every vehicle… repair costs and part availability running it up. Bottom line is my wife’s SUV and another sedan went up equally… not any higher % for my MS. It’s going to be interesting to see what the CT premiums will run at USAA.

Reactions: TessP100D