Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck is a scam.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on most every survey of use towing is Far from the typical use case.

HOW OFTEN DO PICKUP TRUCK OWNERS USE THEIR VEHICLES FOR VARIOUS TASKS?​

FrequentlyOccasionallyRarely/Never
Shopping/Errands87%6%7%
Pleasure Driving70%20%9%
Commuting52%4%44%
Personal Hauling28%41%32%
Towing7%29%63%

This would be a relevant point IF buying and operating a CT was less expensive, more reliable, or just better at something than a $45K crew cab ICE pickup, but they are not.

You are paying an absolute premium, for less of everything. Pay an extra $30K-50K up front (could even say, buying 20 years of gasoline up front), higher insurance, higher tire wear, poor resale value, higher registration in many states, likely less reliability AND to top it off you lose the ability to ever tow or haul anything significant and just the general flexibility that trucks offer Americans that they enjoy so much.

See it's more economical to have 1 do it all vehicle even if it's a less efficient commuter, than it is to have multiple vehicles for each use case scenario. This is why trucks make sense for so many Americans, at least one in the household.

“DGAF” what makes a truck a truck….

We’ll just add “Truck” at the end so it’s not confused for a Crossover….. smh

Tesla had 4 years…. 4 years…. They got a look at the Rivian, Lightning, Silverado and Hummer…. And what do they put out? A Mid Pack offering that’s more expensive and only offered with Market Adjustment.

Again, I ask. If the Silverado was to come out with an “all new” model that is the same specs as a 3 year old F-150, what would be the reaction in the ICE world?

We all know why people are buying the Cybertruck, it’s not because it offers the best specs.

On the plus side, we've come a long way from the early days of EVs when everyone thought they were weak little micro-mobiles with zero fast chargers for travel. An EV truck back then would have been almost unimaginable. Now we actually have them, and are just arguing about how how they can compete better against gas alternatives.

I do think they should have given the CT a bigger frunk. The frunk on my Tesla cars -- I use them sometimes, but mostly as a novelty, just because I can. One year I did need the frunk when we packed up the family and all our Christmas packages in one car to travel to be with family for the holidays. However, I've been using my F-150 frunk constantly since buying it. It's a huge advantage over a gas truck.

Why are the aftermarket accessories either through Tesla or the Aftermarket like Unplugged Performance so expensive?
Same reason the CT is so expensive out the gate. Tooling and setup production on an unproven thing is expensive. You as a manufacturer want to cover your R&D and setup costs as quickly as possible. There is a reason so many companies dip their toes into EV and it doesn't go anywhere. Its expensive. The CT is no different, its an entirely new system from the ground up. That R&D and production tooling is expensive. The quicker you can recoup that cost the better for a publicly traded company.

the other truth is, the extreme majority of truck owners have never hauled a thing…

so this excessive citing of extreme corner cases is convincing no one of anything.

I accept the survey you’ve referenced. But it does say more than a third of truck owners tow either frequently or occasionally.

Even of the 63% of “Rarely/Never”, some do tow, if only “rarely”. So I still hold your assertion that “the extreme majority of truck owners have never hauled a thing…” is WAY overstated, and the need for towing capability is hardly an”extreme corner case”.

not unreasonable. but I would emphasize that for data that is based on self-reported use of said truck, we could just as reasonably call it "data" and treat it as such. as in, likely skewed to make people feel better about their truck purchase by over-reporting towing, while under-reporting commuting and light duty recreational shopping.

another observation - on my drive home today, I witnessed exactly 0 (zero!) light duty trucks towing anything, not even a bike on a tow hitch. just like this morning. and like this morning, one actual work truck, with a business logo, towing a load of stuff.

All of a sudden Towing isn't important. But Prior to November 2023 the Cybertruck was going to "disrupt" the industry with its towing range.......
Towing isn’t important to me and never was, so I now have it and love it. Most people don’t buy a truck to tow but if it’s why you’re buying a truck, don’t get it and someone else will.

P.S. no other trucks do 0-60 in 2.6 seconds but I’m not going to hang out on their forums and criticize their trucks because they are slow as slugs.

Towing isn’t important to me and never was, so I now have it and love it. Most people don’t buy a truck to tow but if it’s why you’re buying a truck, don’t get it and someone else will.

P.S. no other trucks do 0-60 in 2.6 seconds but I’m not going to hang out on their forums and criticize their trucks because they are slow as slugs.

And when another truck does 0-60 faster than 2.6 the excuse will be about the Stainless Steel. For example, the Lightning is faster 0-60 than the AWD CT. And no, the Cyberbeast is not worth the extra $20k for 2.6 seconds that needs to be prepped to be accomplished

As a Tesla Product owner since 2017 I can hang out and criticize crap products that Tesla puts out. I don’t have to kiss their ass for everything they out out.

Reactions: Suns_PSD