Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck Site states now delay time frame

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2022 Production..jpg

Musk thinks differently than you or me, but I doubt he’ll just give the EV pickup truck market to Ford. Let alone piss off over a million people with “orders”. I personally believe the F150 Lightning will appeal, aesthetically, to a wider group of truck buyers, but many of them are not as enamored of EV’s as Tesla buyers. My wife being one of them.

This delay is probably not due to the Cybertruck per se, but rather GigaTexas and supply chain issues. I’d bet Ford will have issues as well.

But... we've already known this for a *long* time. They said a small number of them might be out in 2021, but that they wouldn't really reach mass production until 2022. So... why is this news?
Really? because 2021 early/hand full o' deliveries, are out the window officially. So now those with early arrival pixi dust on them can shake it off & get in line w/ the rest of us 2022 folks that have years & years of history / reality / experience waiting for the actual dates under their belt.
;)
it's sort of a race . . . will it be the 150 lightning? ... or the Cyber truck that hits the market in volume 1st. Tesla w/ flash? or Ford with historical fit & finish that doesn't necessarily p/o the new owners. Potentially, Tesla could loose 100's of thousands of Sales - putzing around w/ the lower priced Y. Had it not been for the higher priced S & X coming to market first, would Tesla have ever gotten enough cash to move forward? Maybe that high priced vehicle priority mindset is passé.

Last edited:
Reactions: TessP100D
Really? because 2021 early/hand full o' deliveries, are out the window officially. So now those with early arrival pixi dust on them can shake it off & get in line w/ the rest of us 2022 folks that have years & years of history / reality / experience waiting for the actual dates under their belt.
;)
it's sort of a race . . . will it be the 150 lightning? ... or the Cyber truck that hits the market in volume 1st. Tesla w/ flash? or Ford with historical fit & finish that doesn't necessarily p/o the new owners. Potentially, Tesla could loose 100's of thousands of Sales - putzing around w/ the lower priced Y. Had it not been for the higher priced S & X coming to market first, would Tesla have ever gotten enough cash to move forward? Maybe that high priced vehicle priority mindset is passé.
That was Musk’s plan all along. Sell high priced cars to support the development and production of the Model 3. He’s doing what he said he’d do. Without Musk and Tesla Ford wouldn’t have ever built the Mach-E or F150 Lightning and there sure as heck wouldn’t have been a market for them.

My guess is Ford, VW, etc., are praying Musk doesn’t start focusing on quality control cuz they’ve had over a hundred years to get it right and he’ll do it in two! Never, ever bet against Musk.

Not that I expected CT to be delivered this year, but I am in need of a truck in 2022. Maybe CT will meet my delivery requirements for 2022, maybe not. So I hedged and put a deposit on an F150 lightning - "deliveries in 2022" - we'll see which gets here first. If it's the Lightning, well, I'll use that for my projects for a bit and trade it in when my CT reservation executes. Or maybe it will blow me away and I'll keep it (unlikely, Tesla supercharging network is key for me)

@Hank42 - it's not just that they'll be starting production in 2022, but also that there are 1.25 million preorders. They've not yet made that many vehicles in a single year. If you're at the end of that line, you might not see yours until 2024.

We don't know *when* in 2022, assuming there aren't even further delays. Also single motor CTs are definitely at the end of the line.

Reactions: Kipernicus
Not that I expected CT to be delivered this year, but I am in need of a truck in 2022. Maybe CT will meet my delivery requirements for 2022, maybe not. So I hedged and put a deposit on an F150 lightning - "deliveries in 2022" - we'll see which gets here first. If it's the Lightning, well, I'll use that for my projects for a bit and trade it in when my CT reservation executes. Or maybe it will blow me away and I'll keep it (unlikely, Tesla supercharging network is key for me)
I think a lot of people are in that boat. With the CT reality being 2023 and the of the line Fords prob in 2023 too, it should be interesting.

So, what's the hold up? I say batteries. There's only so many to go around. Sounds like they are working on making as many Model Y's as they can get out the door in Austin. I bet the list of Model Y request far out weigh the reservations for a CT.