Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck spotted in Sydney

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With a little bit of thought and just a quick look at the media hype that has been generated by it doing one lap of Sydney. You can't buy that sort of advertising. Watch for the queues that will be at every showroom it visits, the people that will come to see the CT and then have a look at a 3 or a Y, be surprised when they learn all the BS that has been fed to them over the years.

Then think about the CT being the perfect low-medium production test bed for things like 48V, steer by wire, etc etc. How often do you get to have a profit generating rolling advertisement that also serves as an excellent test-bed.

I get the so called publicity, but I don’t buy it. It appears to have cost a heap of cash to build that thing, so it’s very far from what would normally be called free publicity (I know you don’t actually say that).

As far as the test bed for 48v and Steer by Wire, that could have been done without any need to build a Cybertruck.

A small Ute/Truck the size of the US Ford Maverick could have sold millions and actually helped the EV cause rather than create another electron guzzling urban assault vehicle.

I know this is my opinion, but that’s the way I see it.

In my eyes, still looks as stupid as the day I first saw it.

A small Ute/Truck the size of the US Ford Maverick could have sold millions and actually helped the EV cause rather than create another electron guzzling urban assault vehicle.

I know this is my opinion, but that’s the way I see it.

In my eyes, still looks as stupid as the day I first saw it.
Entitled to the opinion of course, and it certainly is divisive.

Jury is out for me on the vehicle itself, it's not likely something I'd buy, but I'm still open minded and a quick look at reactions, converstations and intersest it generates tells me that they made the right choice.

electron guzzling urban assault vehicle.
Would rather have an electron guzzling truck that I can charge at home on solar than a six litre dinosaur juice slurping glorified tractor that requires an extra oil shipment from some war torn nation run by a despot every time I want to fill up.

Over 2,000 RAM / F150 / Silverado trucks sold in Oz in the first three months of this year. Not a lot compared to the HiLux / Ranger etc segment but there is a growing appetite for 'big' trucks in this country.

Something electric needs to break into this market, whatever you think of its looks.

but what's the point of putting it on an exhibition tour?
Was just explained a few posts up.

Everywhere it goes gets massive media coverage. There are line ups of people wanting to see it who then get a look at a model 3 and y, talk to people in the process bust some myths etc etc

It's a very cheap way of getting great brand advertising.

I love my base model 3 because it's one of the most energy efficient cars i can drive.

I agree I would prefer a truck focused more of efficiency, but at the end of the day it's also just not a product that is aimed at me. There is a large amount of truck people who couldnt give a flying f about efficiency. For them bullet proof panels sounds like a great idea.

Reactions: Jules22
I would prefer a truck focused more of efficiency
Recently a group of people raced 4 EV utes ocean to ocean across the USA. About 3,840km. Non-stop with charge stops only. Night and day, storms plus good weather. The Chevy Silverado (with a huge battery) was first/quickest with the CT about 5mins behind. Then Rivian another 20mins or so and F150 way, way last.

CT was most efficient & had the smallest battery. It also derived some benefit from the Supercharger network, particularly some stops that did not yet accommodate non-Teslas.

Typically American that they would have a speed race but quite informative. The Ford definitely has charging quirks and issues. I note the Ford will be about A$238,000 here in Australia. (Mining companies are buying a number of Fords and Rivians). Rivian would still be my favourite if I wanted an EV ute (which I don't any more).

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok
Dont see the queues as an appointment is needed at the various showrooms.
I replied to the event but there was no facility to book a specific time. I received a “Thank you for your RSVP” email but again no way to book a specific time.
So I will just rock up tomorrow and hope they let me in.

Would rather have an electron guzzling truck that I can charge at home on solar than a six litre dinosaur juice slurping glorified tractor that requires an extra oil shipment from some war torn nation run by a despot every time I want to fill up.

Over 2,000 RAM / F150 / Silverado trucks sold in Oz in the first three months of this year. Not a lot compared to the HiLux / Ranger etc segment but there is a growing appetite for 'big' trucks in this country.

Something electric needs to break into this market, whatever you think of its looks.

Trust me, the people interested in those kind of massive American trucks will have zero interest in the Cybertruck, for the most part, that are just giant children with a complex and the vehicle must absolutely be powered by said dinosaur juice. I speak to those people quite often, I wouldn't even attempt a conversation about it anymore, its impossible to even have a decent discussion.

Same in the US, the Cybertruck seems to have created a new market for the thing, which could have just as easily have been filled with a small ute. The good ole' boys have zero interest.

You'll be needing a decent solar array to charge a Cybertruck, its efficency numbers, whilst a little better than its peers, its still atrocious when you consider its not required. The R1T is decently better, but still too big.

So I will just rock up tomorrow and hope they let me in.
I just wandered in for a look on Saturday morning as its near my work, lots of people in there looking, and they weren't taking any detalls. They have a pretty nice original roadster in the showroom too.

Attachments

• 20240427_093420.jpg
    20240427_093420.jpg
    504.8 KB · Views: 6