Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 682537
The Ct won’t be delivered this year. Look for it in 2023 if they can complete it and obtain all the approvals.
So you think not only they won't have any production this year ( something I think likely too) , you don't think they will have any production at all in 2022 ?
Even seems you think that 2023 might not happen.
Why do you think it will take so long?

View attachment 682537

So you think not only they won't have any production this year ( something I think likely too) , you don't think they will have any production at all in 2022 ?
Even seems you think that 2023 might not happen.
Why do you think it will take so long?
IMHO I think Tesla is facing some real challenges.

completion of the factory
training of workers for a totally new type of vehicle.
test builds for new factory line
development of the 4680 batteries. Certainly no easy thing.
completion of the design.
passing of government testing
real world testing
final adjustments.

What other challenges will they face? Chip shortages? Supply chain issues? Another Virus? The battery development, testing and ramp up will take longer than anybody believes. this one thing will end being the key factory to the Cyber Truck, the Roadster and the Semi. Without this new battery tech, Tesla cannot produce any of these vehicles with the range needed for success. They need the range. Range is key.

further, as Ford, and a Rivian and who knows else finally are forced into making electric trucks, the competition is going be be fierce. Tesla absolutely must get it right - right out of the gate. they can’t afford any recalls, or mistakes. The truck buying world as a hole is pretty picking and wants a truck that simply works. The mass of buyers is not going to give a crap about lies and promises of Full Self Driving trucks and stupid yoke steering wheel with stockless controls. They are going to want tough trucks that simply work and do the job. If Elon is really serious about the success of the CT, he had better stop all the BS and get down to basics. The truck will need 2 charging ports and a way to charge without disconnecting a trailer. It will need fast recharging capable connections.

further, as Ford, and a Rivian and who knows else finally are forced into making electric trucks, the competition is going be be fierce. Tesla absolutely must get it right - right out of the gate. they can’t afford any recalls, or mistakes. The truck buying world as a hole is pretty picking and wants a truck that simply works. The mass of buyers is not going to give a crap about lies and promises of Full Self Driving trucks and stupid yoke steering wheel with stockless controls. They are going to want tough trucks that simply work and do the job.
1) Not sure who are your truck buyers, but they surely not buying Ford because of all the recalls, issues, and broken promises.
2) No more than about 20% of truck buyers (and those are companies mainly) need "trucks that simply work". Others, at maximum, will navigate complex terrains of grocery store parking lots and soccer fields.
3) FSD will work one day. If you haven't traveled long distance using the Tesla AutoPilot, you may not understand how this technology is really changing our lives.
4) Yoke should be fun. I know people who still hate automatic transmissions and cell phones.

To summarize, not every truck buyer (rather a minority of buyers) fits a stereotype of a physical-labor intense conservative dinosaur dude.

real world testing
final adjustments.
All these things you mention (except the 4680 battery) will plague Rivian as well. Plus, Tesla has the manufacturing experience and is keenly aware of how difficult it is to bring a factory up to large scale production — Rivian does not. Rivian has already missed their own June delivery estimate and according to my brother (who has a Launch Edition R1T reserved) keeps getting the answer “real soon now” when he contacts Rivian about his revised delivery date. I have both a CT and an Adventure Edition MaxPack R1T reserved and I don’t have any idea which one will be delivered first. So I think its fair to say that both Tesla and Rivian are facing some real challenges.

real world testing
final adjustments.

What other challenges will they face? Chip shortages? Supply chain issues? Another Virus? The battery development, testing and ramp up will take longer than anybody believes. this one thing will end being the key factory to the Cyber Truck, the Roadster and the Semi. Without this new battery tech, Tesla cannot produce any of these vehicles with the range needed for success. They need the range. Range is key.

further, as Ford, and a Rivian and who knows else finally are forced into making electric trucks, the competition is going be be fierce. Tesla absolutely must get it right - right out of the gate. they can’t afford any recalls, or mistakes. The truck buying world as a hole is pretty picking and wants a truck that simply works. The mass of buyers is not going to give a crap about lies and promises of Full Self Driving trucks and stupid yoke steering wheel with stockless controls. They are going to want tough trucks that simply work and do the job. If Elon is really serious about the success of the CT, he had better stop all the BS and get down to basics. The truck will need 2 charging ports and a way to charge without disconnecting a trailer. It will need fast recharging capable connections.
You make some valid points . I think you're a bit pessimistic but only time will tell

1) Not sure who are your truck buyers, but they surely not buying Ford because of all the recalls, issues, and broken promises.
2) No more than about 20% of truck buyers (and those are companies mainly) need "trucks that simply work". Others, at maximum, will navigate complex terrains of grocery store parking lots and soccer fields.
3) FSD will work one day. If you haven't traveled long distance using the Tesla AutoPilot, you may not understand how this technology is really changing our lives.
4) Yoke should be fun. I know people who still hate automatic transmissions and cell phones.

To summarize, not every truck buyer (rather a minority of buyers) fits a stereotype of a physical-labor intense conservative dinosaur dude.
I think you dont understand the tuck market and just how many people actually buy Ford, Chevy and a dodge trucks. A once the rabbit Tesla fans buy the CT, what’s left. traditional truck buyers. Not dinosaurs.

maybe you should look up the number 0f trucks Ford sells. Ahh, it’s a lot.

FSD will never work properly. It’s a total Fraud.

the Yoke is stupid and should at most be an option to a real. Round steering wheel.

Have a great day.

All these things you mention (except the 4680 battery) will plague Rivian as well. Plus, Tesla has the manufacturing experience and is keenly aware of how difficult it is to bring a factory up to large scale production — Rivian does not. Rivian has already missed their own June delivery estimate and according to my brother (who has a Launch Edition R1T reserved) keeps getting the answer “real soon now” when he contacts Rivian about his revised delivery date. I have both a CT and an Adventure Edition MaxPack R1T reserved and I don’t have any idea which one will be delivered first. So I think its fair to say that both Tesla and Rivian are facing some real challenges.
I agree 100%.
but… let’s be honest … the CT is a different animal, and Tesla is trying to reinvent the manufacturing wheel on this one.. So yes.. I do expect manufacturing delays.

IMHO I think Tesla is facing some real challenges.......

I imagine that battery development is pretty much understood by Tesla, probably more than most, so the testing and ramp up will take as long as a lot of people believe, actually. But you seem to forget that range, although important, is balanced by COST. Tesla must hold costs down as much as possible, competing against "cheap" products like the Ford F150. A lot of truck owners whose business is mainly in "the city" do not need 500 miles of range, so Tesla plans to offer choices, so it's not ALL about range.

We don't have a fully developed idea as to how long a CT will last. Most work trucks don't last 200,000 miles, and conversely, most work trucks don't travel very far, doing jobs in the home town rather than in the next state. No reason to believe an electric vehicle won't last 20 years/500,000 miles under these circumstances.

New battery tech is NOT critical, "IMHO". One can use "OLD" battery tech and get the range, as is evidenced by my Model S with 400+ miles of range. All it takes is more batteries. Have you heard data on how much new batteries weigh for the same kWh as compared to old batteries, for example? Sure, new batteries will give some advantages, but by the time the CT is ten years old I'd imagine there will be several new battery developments.

And Gigafactory TX will come right along. They've already built Gigafactory NV, so there's not much learning curve. But we'll see, won't we?

Reactions: repoanything
I agree 100%.
but… let’s be honest … the CT is a different animal, and Tesla is trying to reinvent the manufacturing wheel on this one.. So yes.. I do expect manufacturing delays.
How is it different? It's an electric vehicle. Sure, Tesla is trying new methods, but I'd bet they pretty much have a handle on how to use stainless steel as a frame. They're not ignorant. ANY new factory has to be tweaked, whether old technology or new. Not reinventing much. Maybe I'm just able to see how it can work rather than worrying that it's something I haven't seen before. But this is exactly why Ford, GM, and Toyota won't or can't compete.

Reactions: repoanything
Ok. Let’s wait and see. It might sound Like I’m down on Tesla. I’m not, I own an amazing Model S, and 2 M3. I Think EM is a modern day marvel but.. Im not a total fanboy. when he messes up I call him on it. I’m realistic.
Didn't mean to imply you were "down on Tesla". Your opinion on when the CT will be finally delivered is later than most peoples and is pessimistic that's all.
I think people that think there will deliveries of any size in early 2022 are optimistic.
My own view is deliveries will likely start in Q2 of 2022.
I agree with you on how you look at tesla. Or should I say Elon Musk.
I only have 1 Telsa at the moment, a MY, but have a reservation for a Cyber truck and will probably buy an S Plaid next year.
They are amazing vehicles but not perfect. I hope they strive for perfect

How is it different? It's an electric vehicle. Sure, Tesla is trying new methods, but I'd bet they pretty much have a handle on how to use stainless steel as a frame. They're not ignorant. ANY new factory has to be tweaked, whether old technology or new. Not reinventing much. Maybe I'm just able to see how it can work rather than worrying that it's something I haven't seen before. But this is exactly why Ford, GM, and Toyota won't or can't compete.
How are they different? I’m not sure if your kidding or being serious With that question.

let’s see.

1; Tesla makes cars, and has never produced a truck. Never. They have a concept truck.

2; Tesla want to make this truck using a method of bending hard think stainless steel instead of traditional methods. That will lead to delays as they try to perfect it for production speeds. Think panel gaps, and QC.

3. Don’t be fooled into thinking just because Tesla makes cars, that they can just jump into the truck market. It will be hard.

4. Do they have test mules running around? Or how about crash tests? How about gov approvals for some oh EM’s wacky ideas?

5; And don’t be fooled into thinking for one minute that Ford won’t compete. That is crazy. Of course they will.

I imagine that battery development is pretty much understood by Tesla, probably more than most, so the testing and ramp up will take as long as a lot of people believe, actually. But you seem to forget that range, although important, is balanced by COST. Tesla must hold costs down as much as possible, competing against "cheap" products like the Ford F150. A lot of truck owners whose business is mainly in "the city" do not need 500 miles of range, so Tesla plans to offer choices, so it's not ALL about range.

We don't have a fully developed idea as to how long a CT will last. Most work trucks don't last 200,000 miles, and conversely, most work trucks don't travel very far, doing jobs in the home town rather than in the next state. No reason to believe an electric vehicle won't last 20 years/500,000 miles under these circumstances.

New battery tech is NOT critical, "IMHO". One can use "OLD" battery tech and get the range, as is evidenced by my Model S with 400+ miles of range. All it takes is more batteries. Have you heard data on how much new batteries weigh for the same kWh as compared to old batteries, for example? Sure, new batteries will give some advantages, but by the time the CT is ten years old I'd imagine there will be several new battery developments.

And Gigafactory TX will come right along. They've already built Gigafactory NV, so there's not much learning curve. But we'll see, won't we?
Actually it is all about range. More so in a truck for things like hauling and towing. Range is King.

Actually it is all about range. More so in a truck for things like hauling and towing. Range is King.
Range IS King.
I wouldn't have even considered an electric vehicle before there were some available with 300 + miles.
I actually consider my MY to now only have a useful 200 mile range because I do not like to charge it to 100% or drain it lower than 20%. I look at 20% as E and what I have past that is reserve. I probably would have waited had i thought this back then even though my main reason for the Y is local driving.

If the Cyber truck was advertised much less than 500 miles I may have held off . Although it's only $100 so I probably would have reserved anyway but i would not be as interested..
Elon Musk made a disturbing statement that No one needs more than 400 miles of range.
Well no one "needs" a stereo in their car either. No one "needs" a top speed of more than 100 mph. No one "needs" a 0-60 time of less than 3 seconds.
Personally, range is the most important aspect. I'd trade a second on the CT 0-60 time for an additional 100 miles of range. Maybe when they get it to 1000 miles I'll be happy. Probably not though.
EM should know better than anyone that you don't settle for what you simply need. You should always want to be better.

• Disagree
Reactions: LionXng and QUBO
Range IS King.
I wouldn't have even considered an electric vehicle before there were some available with 300 + miles.
I actually consider my MY to now only have a useful 200 mile range because I do not like to charge it to 100% or drain it lower than 20%. I look at 20% as E and what I have past that is reserve. I probably would have waited had i thought this back then even though my main reason for the Y is local driving.

If the Cyber truck was advertised much less than 500 miles I may have held off . Although it's only $100 so I probably would have reserved anyway but i would not be as interested..
Elon Musk made a disturbing statement that No one needs more than 400 miles of range.
Well no one "needs" a stereo in their car either. No one "needs" a top speed of more than 100 mph. No one "needs" a 0-60 time of less than 3 seconds.
Personally, range is the most important aspect. I'd trade a second on the CT 0-60 time for an additional 100 miles of range. Maybe when they get it to 1000 miles I'll be happy. Probably not though.
EM should know better than anyone that you don't settle for what you simply need. You should always want to be better.
100% agree.
Musk recently said.. oh the certain Model Y has to low of range so we are dropping it. He wanted more range. Then he says the Plaid is good enough. we don’t need the range.

geez. Range is king. In a truck even more so For the reasons you stated, plus loss of range towing and loss of range due to battery range loss. It’s all adds up. We need more range. We need the 4680 batteries. Until we get them, there will be no CT deliveries.

Reactions: AquaY
Do we think the cyber truck will be successful based on him saying it could be a flop?.
Musk had no idea, that’s for sure. He was quick to say if it doesn’t sell. We can change the design. Or some thing like that. Which I took tommean, he wasn’t even clear on the design or the success of the CT.

No stock controls, the yoke, no side mirrors and now the removal the door handles. Musk has lost it. And of course the whole FSD fraud BS, to top,it all off.

I‘M out.

• Funny
Reactions: scottf200
Musk had no idea, that’s for sure. He was quick to say if it doesn’t sell. We can change the design. Or some thing like that. Which I took tommean, he wasn’t even clear on the design or the success of the CT.

No stock controls, the yoke, no side mirrors and now the removal the door handles. Musk has lost it. And of course the whole FSD fraud BS, to top,it all off.

I‘M out.
Can I have your reservation?