Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will the wall connector need a specific outlet to connect to and a certain amp breaker?. Is this something that is just plug in and go or do I need someone certified to install it?.

The simplest plug-in play is to have a nema 1450 plug put in. That's the same thing that RVs use. Then you can use the mobile adapter that came with your car, adding a 240 volt adapter, and charge quite simply. Although the wall adapter can be outfitted with a 1450 connector, it is usually directly connected to the circuit breaker box.

Reactions: mbeadnell
Will the wall connector need a specific outlet to connect to and a certain amp breaker?. Is this something that is just plug in and go or do I need someone certified to install it?.
Yes and Yes,
Tesla sells great wall connectors or you can have the electrician install a standard 240 volt 50 amp NEMA 14-50 outlet and purchase a NEMA 14-50 adapter from Tesla to use with the portable connector that comes with your car. The NEMA 14-50 outlet requires a dedicated 50 amp/240 volt breaker in your service panel. The Tesla wall connector can be connected to any dedicated 240 volt breaker and you can adjust it to suit (ie if you have room for a 30 amp breaker, you can set the wall connector to only draw 24 amps which is the legal 80% of 40 amps for a continuous load such as charging)
Once installed, you simply plug in and the car charges.
If you want to get clever, you can set the car to wait until night to charge, when electricity rates are sometimes lower and temperatures are cooler, making charging cheaper.
Another approach is to install a non-Tesla charging station (called a J-1772 EVSE or Electric Vehicle Service Equipment) and use the J-1772 adapter that comes with your Tesla. I, personally, use the NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in my garage or J-1772 EVSEs at my office.
All (Tesla Wall Connector, NEMA 14-50 outlet, or EVSE) should be installed by a qualified electrician.
Once installed, you'll happily charge at home, while you sleep, for cheap and never look at a gas station again - unless you need air in your tire or a bag of sunflower seeds.

Reactions: mbeadnell
I believe you pay the price listed at the time of order. If you were to order today you will pay that price when delivered. If you order after a price increase you will pay the increased price when delivered.
I am sorry but this is absolutely wrong. Read the Pre-Order agreement. You are not guaranteed a price or priority in any way, shape, or form. Tesla will finalize the pricing once they open up ordering.
What is insurance like on a Tesla. Looking into cybertruck. Some say insurance is not as high as what you would read online?. Is this true?.
No one has any idea. Teslas are very expensive to fix. This is a combination of high parts prices plus Tesla limiting competition among body shops by forcing you to go to a Tesla-approved shop. There is only one approved shop in my city so I have to pay whatever they want (and the prices are very high).

But the CT is using all new materials so we really don't know what the repair costs are going to be - whether they will be higher or lower than other EV trucks.

Reactions: TessP100D

Tesla recently confirmed that production of the new electric pickup truck has been delayed to 2022.

Now Musk did says that they “will probably introduce Hardware 4 with the Cybertruck maybe in about a year or so.”

That could be a hint that Tesla doesn’t expect to start producing the Cybertruck until the second half of 2022, which is also a more realistic timeline.

Reactions: Zer0t
FSD is a $10k option and uptake isn't huge. I ordered FSD with my tri-motor CT so it'll probably come with FSD2.

Why would Tesla provide FSD2 computers to people that didn't order FSD with their CT? They can ship those CTs with current AP/FSD computers.

Tesla recently confirmed that production of the new electric pickup truck has been delayed to 2022.

Now Musk did says that they “will probably introduce Hardware 4 with the Cybertruck maybe in about a year or so.”

That could be a hint that Tesla doesn’t expect to start producing the Cybertruck until the second half of 2022, which is also a more realistic timeline.

FSD is a $10k option and uptake isn't huge. I ordered FSD with my tri-motor CT so it'll probably come with FSD2.

Why would Tesla provide FSD2 computers to people that didn't order FSD with their CT? They can ship those CTs with current AP/FSD computers.
Please don't order FSD when the time comes to commit. FSD is at least 10 years out. You will have a new CT by then. Throwing a rager in Vegas would be a more responsible use of that money than buying FSD.

Reactions: Zer0t and TessP100D
I reserved my cybertruck today. I used this tracker that was made to determine an approximate time to receive the cybertruck based on my information. Has anyone heard of this?. It says I am due for delivery 11/2024. This is fine because it gives me time to save up. Anyone have any thoughts on this?.

I reserved my cybertruck today. I used this tracker that was made to determine an approximate time to receive the cybertruck based on my information. Has anyone heard of this?. It says I am due for delivery 11/2024. This is fine because it gives me time to save up. Anyone have any thoughts on this?.

Apparently, there are 1M reservations for the CT. Assuming that 50% of those turn into sales, that's 500K CT to produce and sell. They're conservatively a year away from ramping up production, as they've just completed the final design. So, 100K CT produced in 2022, 250K in 2023, more in 2024, seems like a reasonable expectation.

So, yes, I wouldn't expect to get a CT before some time in 2024 if ordering now.

Apparently, there are 1M reservations for the CT. Assuming that 50% of those turn into sales, that's 500K CT to produce and sell. They're conservatively a year away from ramping up production, as they've just completed the final design. So, 100K CT produced in 2022, 250K in 2023, more in 2024, seems like a reasonable expectation.

So, yes, I wouldn't expect to get a CT before some time in 2024 if ordering now.

Elon just said yesterday late '23 for "volume production" (whatever that means...they still haven't laid out their target for annual production).

If you're ordering now, it's probably more like 2025 if you're optimistic. But given the nature of Elon Time...I'd pencil in 2026.