Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

daily battery charge rate recommended

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello i m trying to find the recommended charge rate for model Y.
Does 48A as every day charging will affect my battery over time?

At how many amps should i charge my battery to avoid lossing range on the long run?
Does 48A will damage model y battery as every day charging at home?

Reactions: davidski

At how many amps should i charge my battery to avoid lossing range on the long run?

Does 48a everyday charging will affect my battery over time? = No

At how many amps should I charge my battery to avoid loosing range on the long run = Nothing you do regarding charging speed at home will impact that

Does 48a will damage model Y battery as every day charging at home = no

For more than that, you can find much (much much much much) more in this 190+ page battery thread in the model 3 subforum, as these cars currently have the same battery:

Upvote 0
Does 48a everyday charging will affect my battery over time? = No

At how many amps should I charge my battery to avoid loosing range on the long run = Nothing you do regarding charging speed at home will impact that

Does 48a will damage model Y battery as every day charging at home = no

For more than that, you can find much (much much much much) more in this 190+ page battery thread in the model 3 subforum, as these cars currently have the same battery:

Hey thanks very much, sorry to be in the same page as others in here, but i could not find those answers.

Upvote 0

For me at least the OEM 30A charger is quite sufficient for overnight charging. All I needed was to add a second 240v 40A plug in the garage (our Volt uses the other 240v receptacle).

Upvote 0
The difference between 48 amps and anything lower is nothing to the battery. Anything at that level is a very safe charge rate for the battery.

The only reason it may be worth reducing the level is to prolong the life of the supply equipment (such as wall connector) since longevity is reduced by heat. That being said, your equipment can handle the full rate and will last a long time either way. It just may last longer at lower charge rates. The only downside to lowering the rate (besides charge speed) is that charging at lower rates may be less efficient.

Reactions: kiddole
Upvote 0
If you think of the Tesla Wall Connector - it is charging at 11kwh -- pretty slow.
And if you think of the newest generation of Supercharger Stations -- they charge at a max of 250kwh - damn fast.
So what ever the amperage that you can put in at HOME - the more the better. Battery degradation - don't worry about it.

Reactions: Pianewman
Upvote 0
If you think of the Tesla Wall Connector - it is charging at 11kwh -- pretty slow.
And if you think of the newest generation of Supercharger Stations -- they charge at a max of 250kwh - damn fast.
So what ever the amperage that you can put in at HOME - the more the better. Battery degradation - don't worry about it.
Minor correction as most people know what you mean, but it’s kW, not kWh. Wall connector max charge rate is 11.5kW. kW is the rate, kWh is the amount of energy you used.

Upvote 0
Hello, I am new to the EV world and have a Tesla home charger that charges my 2022 Tesla model S at 48 amps. My question is; should I really charge my model S every night, even if I only drive 5-10 miles a day or sometimes none at all. Is it better to charge my car every night or will my battery health be the same if, say, I charge my battery three times a week and on the weekend?

Upvote 0
Hello, I am new to the EV world and have a Tesla home charger that charges my 2022 Tesla model S at 48 amps. My question is; should I really charge my model S every night, even if I only drive 5-10 miles a day or sometimes none at all. Is it better to charge my car every night or will my battery health be the same if, say, I charge my battery three times a week and on the weekend?
I schedule my car to charge every night regardless of the state of charge. I don't think it will affect the battery. Tesla recommends plugging in the car whenever possible.

Upvote 0
if reduce from 32A to 20A or lower , charging efficiency goes down or up ?
Down. While charging, the car's various systems are on, which draws a couple hundred watts. So the less power you put into the car, the higher fraction that overhead becomes.

The difference between 32 A and 20 A (at 240 V) is pretty small. The only time when efficiency is noticeably reduced is when charging at 120 V, 12 A (a regular wall outlet). And even then, unless it's pretty cold the efficiency isn't terrible.

• Helpful
Reactions: bluetrep1
Upvote 0
I charge about once per week. I find if you charge every day, only going 10 or so miles, your estimated miles will suffer tremendously. I typically charge up to 80% and, by the end of the week I'm down to about 40%.

Upvote 0
I charge about once per week. I find if you charge every day, only going 10 or so miles, your estimated miles will suffer tremendously. I typically charge up to 80% and, by the end of the week I'm down to about 40%.
Ditto here except we drive about 25-30% a day so we charge every other day. I charge to 70% during warm months and 80% during the winter.

Upvote 0
This is not accurate. Plugging in every day does not negatively affect range or displayed range. Your displayed range did not change because you plugged in too often…
Ditto here except we drive about 25-30% a day so we charge every other day. I charge to 70% during warm months and 80% during the winter.
There is no reason to avoid charging every day. Plugging in more often does not mean more degradation. Each time you plug in does not count as a charge cycle. The wider swing in the state of charge is worse than charging every day. It’s better to go 80-50 twice rather than 80-20 once.

Reactions: avs007
Upvote 0
This is not accurate. Plugging in every day does not negatively affect range or displayed range. Your displayed range did not change because you plugged in too often…

There is no reason to avoid charging every day. Plugging in more often does not mean more degradation. Each time you plug in does not count as a charge cycle. The wider swing in the state of charge is worse than charging every day. It’s better to go 80-50 twice rather than 80-20 once.
I used to feel that way too when I had my Raven Model S and daily charged it between 80-90%. After six months estimated range reflected a 7.5% loss.

I decided to do things differently with the Y and in six months our Y is down 3% in estimated range. Coincidentally we took delivery of the S in August of 2019 and the Y in August of 2021, so pretty comparable weather, seasons, and commutes for both cars during the first six months. I know the S and Y use different batteries but it is what it is.

Occasionally I will charge the Y from 50-80 but more often it has been 25-80 or 30-70. From what I’ve read, a broader charge range gives the BMS more data points for a more accurate estimate. Do what you feel comfortable with.

Last edited:
Reactions: SWIPE
Upvote 0
I used to feel that way too when I had my Model S and daily charged it between 80-90%. After six months estimated range reflected a 7.5% loss. In six months our Y is down 3%.

Occasionally I will charge the Y from 50-80 but more often it has been 25-80 or 30-70. From what I’ve read, a broader charge range gives the BMS more data points for a more accurate estimate. Do what you feel comfortable with.
If we’re talking about battery degradation rather than just estimated range and BMS issues, then the larger swing in charge state will cause more damage. It’s not about how I feel, it’s a fact based on how lithium battery lifespan works according to research. I charge every day and after 7 months my estimated range dropped by 1 mile. Sure, maybe the BMS will calibrate better if you swing the battery state up and down further. That doesn’t mean it isn’t worse for the battery.

Reactions: Darmie
Upvote 0
If we’re talking about battery degradation rather than just estimated range and BMS issues, then the larger swing in charge state will cause more damage. It’s not about how I feel, it’s a fact based on how lithium battery lifespan works according to research. I charge every day and after 7 months my estimated range dropped by 1 mile. Sure, maybe the BMS will calibrate better if you swing the battery state up and down further. That doesn’t mean it isn’t worse for the battery.
Sorry, I didn’t intend “do what you’re comfortable with” to be dismissive but rather to go by your own experience.

It’s not that I disagree with the research or charts, but daily charging didn’t seem to ward off range degradation for me. Can you share what your daily charging range is?

I daily charged the Y to 70% the first few weeks and range actually increased beyond the rated spec, but the day I upped it to 80% is when range started to fall, despite daily charging.

I’m fine going back to daily charging if that’s best. Some of the available information seems contradictory at times, such as Li-ion batteries last longest between 50-60% SoC but that would severely limit range and usability of the car. Then you also read Tesla recommends deep discharge once in a while to get more accurate BMS measurements. Supercharging is convenient but also not great for the battery either. What seems worse, frequent Supercharging or charging at home every other day as needed? Is daily charging still best if I only use 10% that day?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry, I didn’t intend “do what you’re comfortable with” to be dismissive but rather to go by your own experience.

It’s not that I disagree with the research or charts, but daily charging didn’t seem to ward off range degradation for me. Can you share what your daily charging range is?

I daily charged the Y to 70% the first few weeks and range actually increased beyond the rated spec, but the day I upped it to 80% is when range started to fall, despite daily charging.

I’m fine going back to daily charging if that’s best. Some of the available information seems contradictory at times, such as Li-ion batteries last longest between 50-60% SoC but that would severely limit range and usability of the car. Then you also read Tesla recommends deep discharge once in a while to get more accurate BMS measurements. Supercharging is convenient but also not great for the battery either. What seems worse, frequent Supercharging or charging at home every other day as needed? Is daily charging still best if I only use 10% that day?
Estimated range does not necessarily indicate true range or degradation. If you do actually have degradation it is from other factors, not from plugging in too often. By not plugging in daily you will have a bigger swing in the battery SOC and your vehicle will use the battery more often (both 12v and HV batteries).

Around 50% is the best state of charge for the battery to sit at, but it’s usually not practical, and anything below 90% won’t be an issue or have a significant effect. I usually charge to 70% or 80% myself, but there would likely be little difference if that number was 90%.

Supercharging is definitely worse than home charging. Daily charging is best, even if you only use 10% because you are limiting the swing in the state of charge. So rather than going 80-60 in two days you can go 80-70 twice.

Upvote 0