Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daily reset/shutdown of my Powerwall+ and/or Inverter after coolant top-off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also see 7.1KW solar roof system + 2 Powerwalls in upstate NY -- do my generation stats look right? - another individual seeming to have this issue - no solution, but it does seem to be a somewhat widespread issue.
Yes I'm having the exact same issue -- see attached screenshot.

The daily shutdown lasts about 12 minutes. Interestingly, the timing is pushed 10 minutes each day. For instance, yesterday the shutdown began at 11:20am and today it began at 11:30am. I'm sure it will happen at 11:40am tomorrow. I've been going back and forth on this with one of the electricians/installers, and we basically made the conclusion that this is a software issue. @darryllee looking at your screenshots, looks like your system is showing the exact same pattern in terms of shutdown timing.

Another interesting thing is that the initial system shutdown timing seems to depend on the time of day the latest software update was pushed. For instance, on the day of installation, my system was powered on around 4pm, at which point there was a software update. The next day, the shutdown happened at around 4pm, and each day after that the shutdown timing was pushed by 10 minutes each day. When the installer was helping me troubleshoot, he had the customer service hotline push a software update at around 9:30am. The next day the shutdown began at 9:30am.

I thought about requesting to have a software update pushed at night so I won't notice the shutdown, but because timing is delayed by 10 minutes each day, it will eventually happen during solar hours.

Interested to see if anyone here can figure out a way to fix this. If not, hopefully Tesla engineers are now aware of this and can get it fixed with the next update.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210802-084807.png
    Screenshot_20210802-084807.png
    86.7 KB · Views: 171
Reactions: BGbreeder
Weird. I just logged in as an Installer and then went to reset my gateway and I saw it had restarted 20 minutes ago, based on api/status.

So I'm gonna leave it and see how things go in the morning...
This morning I noticed that I got a new firmware update overnight (not sure exactly what time) -- went from v21.20.5 to v21.24.1.
@darryllee maybe you got the same update at night?

This update may have addressed the shutdown issue. If not, I won't really know for a few days/weeks given that the shutdown will probably happen at night now. I can confirm later that the shutdown doesn't at least happen during the day.

Yes I'm having the exact same issue -- see attached screenshot.

The daily shutdown lasts about 12 minutes. Interestingly, the timing is pushed 10 minutes each day. For instance, yesterday the shutdown began at 11:20am and today it began at 11:30am. I'm sure it will happen at 11:40am tomorrow. I've been going back and forth on this with one of the electricians/installers, and we basically made the conclusion that this is a software issue. @darryllee looking at your screenshots, looks like your system is showing the exact same pattern in terms of shutdown timing.

Another interesting thing is that the initial system shutdown timing seems to depend on the time of day the latest software update was pushed. For instance, on the day of installation, my system was powered on around 4pm, at which point there was a software update. The next day, the shutdown happened at around 4pm, and each day after that the shutdown timing was pushed by 10 minutes each day. When the installer was helping me troubleshoot, he had the customer service hotline push a software update at around 9:30am. The next day the shutdown began at 9:30am.

I thought about requesting to have a software update pushed at night so I won't notice the shutdown, but because timing is delayed by 10 minutes each day, it will eventually happen during solar hours.

Interested to see if anyone here can figure out a way to fix this. If not, hopefully Tesla engineers are now aware of this and can get it fixed with the next update.
Would it be possible to flip the breakers on the system sometime after sunset to force everything to reboot? See if that results in the next dropout being ~24 hours, 10 minutes later? If it worked, it would give you a month or so before you had to do it again. Certainly not ideal, but possibly a workaround until Tesla figures out how to fix the issue.

Agreed with everyone here, the daily restart happens each day +10 minutes after the previous days restart. Today I will restart at 1:55pm, which is close to my peak production :/ I am actually some what relieved that this is software driven instead of heat/cooling. My inverter is mounted outdoors, on the west side, so only gets some sun mid afternoon. I did not expect that to cause much issue, so glad to see that is (hopefully) not.

This morning I noticed that I got a new firmware update overnight (not sure exactly what time) -- went from v21.20.5 to v21.24.1.
@darryllee maybe you got the same update at night?

This update may have addressed the shutdown issue. If not, I won't really know for a few days/weeks given that the shutdown will probably happen at night now. I can confirm later that the shutdown doesn't at least happen during the day.
My system shutdown was supposed to happen around 11:50AM today, but did not happen (it's 12:40 right now). So either firmware v21.24.1 specifically addresses this issue, or the shutdowns will happen at night (so I won't notice) and will become noticeable again in a few weeks.

Curious to know if anyone with this daily shutdown issue got the new firmware update during the day vs. overnight like I did.

Would it be possible to flip the breakers on the system sometime after sunset to force everything to reboot? See if that results in the next dropout being ~24 hours, 10 minutes later? If it worked, it would give you a month or so before you had to do it again. Certainly not ideal, but possibly a workaround until Tesla figures out how to fix the issue.
Flipping the breakers did not cause my system to reboot. I was going to try the Reset button, but saw that I had already restarted at around 9:40PM PDT, and I was on v21.20.6 (not sure when I had gotten that update).

But I've just logged on as Installer to see if there's any Alerts, and looking at api/status I see this!

Code:
"start_time": "2021-08-04 02:42:10 +0800",
  "up_time_seconds": "7h50m53.133008233s",
  "is_new": false,
  "version": "21.24.1",

Which means that 11:42PM PDT, my system restarted again, and presumably that's when I got 21.24.1.

So yes, @sk00 - I got the update last night too.

Anywho, I'll keep an eye on in the next hour or two to see if there's anything. Yeah, it'd be nice if Tesla updated their Release Notes.

I really should get off my butt to write a python script to auto-login to the UI and Since api/status doesn't require authentication, I wrote a quick-and-dirty shell script to regularly capture the output of api/status so I have a proper log:

Code:
LOGFILE="/home/pi/workplace/teslog/status.log"
date -Iseconds >> $LOGFILE
curl -s -k "https://192.168.2.51/api/status" >> $LOGFILE
echo >> $LOGFILE

And a crontab to run it every 10 minutes:
Code:
*/10 * * * * /home/pi/workplace/teslog/teslog.sh

This runs on a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B running Raspbian GNU/Linux 10.

And UPDATE: 11:17AM, no restarts that I can see, knock on wood.

Last edited:
Flipping the breakers did not cause my system to reboot. I was going to try the Reset button, but saw that I had already restarted at around 9:40PM PDT, and I was on v21.20.6 (not sure when I had gotten that update).

But I've just logged on as Installer to see if there's any Alerts, and looking at api/status I see this!

Code:
"start_time": "2021-08-04 02:42:10 +0800",
  "up_time_seconds": "7h50m53.133008233s",
  "is_new": false,
  "version": "21.24.1",

Which means that 11:42PM PDT, my system restarted again, and presumably that's when I got 21.24.1.

So yes, @sk00 - I got the update last night too.

Anywho, I'll keep an eye on in the next hour or two to see if there's anything. Yeah, it'd be nice if Tesla updated their Release Notes.

I really should get off my butt to write a python script to auto-login to the UI and Since api/status doesn't require authentication, I wrote a quick-and-dirty shell script to regularly capture the output of api/status so I have a proper log:

Code:
date -Iseconds >> status.log
curl -s -k "https://192.168.2.51/api/status" >> /home/pi/workplace/teslog/status.log
echo >> status.log

And a crontab to run it every 10 minutes:
Code:
*/10 * * * * /home/pi/workplace/teslog/teslog.sh

This runs on a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B running Raspbian GNU/Linux 10.

And UPDATE: 11:17AM, no restarts that I can see, knock on wood.
Can you point me to a api quick start guide? Ideally usage via linux/python/curl etc. Do you need to be on the broadcast TEG network? Or is the IP / api endpoint available on your local home wifi?

Can you point me to a api quick start guide? Ideally usage via linux/python/curl etc. Do you need to be on the broadcast TEG network? Or is the IP / api endpoint available on your local home wifi?
So I've been relying on this, but it's a bit out of date: GitHub - vloschiavo/powerwall2: Tesla Powerwall 2 - Local Gateway API documentation

I think everything requires auth now except /api/status

Previously I was using Nginx on the pi to proxy the TEG network endpoint to my local network. But then I realized that the local endpoint was working as well, so that's what 192.168.2.51 refers to. It'll of course be different on your network.

On maybe one occasion, the local endpoint was not working (maybe after an update/restart?), so I had to revert to the proxy. But in the past few days it's been working fine.

DRAT! My system just had a restart, and my logging script shows nothing at 11:40AM PDT. :p

I guess I will have to figure out how to login and grab api/sitemaster too.
Enh. It's ugly. I don't care. :-}
Code:
LOGFILE="/home/pi/workplace/teslog/all.log"
JAR="/home/pi/workplace/teslog/cookies.txt"
date -Iseconds >> $LOGFILE
curl -c $JAR -b $JAR -s -k -X POST "https://192.168.2.51/api/login/Basic" -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d '{"username":"customer","password":"YOURPASSWORD","email":"YOUREMAIL"}' > /dev/null
curl -c $JAR -b $JAR -s -k "https://192.168.2.51/api/sitemaster" >> $LOGFILE
echo >> $LOGFILE
curl -c $JAR -b $JAR -s -k "https://192.168.2.51/api/system_status/soe" >> $LOGFILE
echo >> $LOGFILE
curl -c $JAR -b $JAR -s -k "https://192.168.2.51/api/meters/aggregates" >> $LOGFILE
echo >> $LOGFILE
Sidenote: Just noticed my SOE percentage (battery charge) was declining. Turns out that a fancy sous vide cooker uses a big chunk of electricity. Meh. On the other hand -- STEAK for dinner!

I’m having this same issue and glad that you all started a thread about it. I have the same Powerwall+ as you @darryllee, except I have a Powerwall 2 in front of it. It looks like my system updated to 21.24.1 (from 21.20.5) this morning around 2:30 AM per my local data logger. I still had a 15-20 min solar drop out this morning, a bit later than usual.

I grabbed a bunch of API responses during the dropout but haven’t made any interesting discoveries from it.

Separately however, my nominal_full_pack_energy increased by 690 wH after the firmware update. I had been steadily getting 13724 from my PW+ and 13630 from my PW2 (27354 total). Then 10 minutes later, after the system had restarted due to the firmware update, I get 14069 from the PW+ and 13973 from the PW2 (28042). I haven’t been monitoring this closely to know if this is normal behavior after just the restart, and unrelated to the firmware update.

Oh hey, @sk00 and @bryan995 - I was wondering, what inverter do you have? Is it the new Tesla one? And is it horizontally, or vertically mounted? This is mine:

View attachment 692236
I just got mine installed 3 weeks ago -- solar roof + 2 Powerwalls (1 PW2+ and 1 PW2). Assume they're the latest versions. My setup does look like yours with the inverter installed horizontally.

Attachments

• PXL_20210717_203749867~2.jpg
    PXL_20210717_203749867~2.jpg
    511.2 KB · Views: 90
I just got mine installed 3 weeks ago -- solar roof + 2 Powerwalls (1 PW2+ and 1 PW2). Assume they're the latest versions. My setup does look like yours with the inverter installed horizontally.
Yeap same one. I have 8kW tesla solar + 1 PW+ and 1 PW2. Tesla 7.8kW inverter.

looks like I am also now on 21.24.1

Attachments

• F105782F-58B5-43B2-A765-AA49ABDF0622.jpeg
    F105782F-58B5-43B2-A765-AA49ABDF0622.jpeg
    645.9 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
And as expected my restart was at exactly 1:55pm today.

Ignore the other dropout; that was me playing around and simulating a grid outage to test out the off grid car charging and ac usage. All worked flawlessly ! Could only get the house up to a ~16kw draw. (2 x ac, 1 32A mobile connector, oven, microwave, dryer)
437DE7CF-4DCC-4E7B-BB36-E9D8F41E7741.jpeg
3535D2F2-327C-4794-88AF-9B9F8B620A6C.jpeg
35E98C71-78D7-4693-ADB7-F51735B4096E.jpeg

Attachments

• 4AB998C9-4D3F-4465-B939-2E215BB6E2A4.png
    4AB998C9-4D3F-4465-B939-2E215BB6E2A4.png
    128 KB · Views: 86
  • Informative
Reactions: kairojya
Welp. I had another blip, from around 11:26-11:40AM. Unfortunately even my updated scripts didn't log any Alerts.

Only clues that there was an outage were these:

api/sitemaster - "can_reboot" flipped to "Yes", since there wasn't much power flowing...

Code:
2021-08-05T11:25:01-07:00
{"status":"StatusUp","running":true,"connected_to_tesla":true,"power_supply_mode":false,"can_reboot":"Power flow is too high"}
2021-08-05T11:26:48-07:00
{"status":"StatusUp","running":true,"connected_to_tesla":true,"power_supply_mode":false,"can_reboot":"Yes"}

api/system_status/soe - my battery's charge went down a bit while it discharged to cover the solar outage.

api/meters/aggregate - for solar, my instant_power dropped to zero during the outage.

Welp. I had another blip, from around 11:26-11:40AM. Unfortunately even my updated scripts didn't log any Alerts.

Only clues that there was an outage were these:

api/sitemaster - "can_reboot" flipped to "Yes", since there wasn't much power flowing...

Code:
2021-08-05T11:25:01-07:00
{"status":"StatusUp","running":true,"connected_to_tesla":true,"power_supply_mode":false,"can_reboot":"Power flow is too high"}
2021-08-05T11:26:48-07:00
{"status":"StatusUp","running":true,"connected_to_tesla":true,"power_supply_mode":false,"can_reboot":"Yes"}

api/system_status/soe - my battery's charge went down a bit while it discharged to cover the solar outage.

api/meters/aggregate - for solar, my instant_power dropped to zero during the outage.
Lucky for me my system shutdowns have stopped after the firmware update, or at least the shutdowns are now happening at night. Not sure what made the difference.