Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Papafox's Daily TSLA Trading Charts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon's letter about a 7% reduction in force and 4Q's profits being less than 3Q's (but still positive) will surely lead to some tough trading today. The 340-350 trading range is no longer applicable after that letter. Personally, I would have preferred Elon to wait until Monday before releasing the letter (given the volatility on options expiration date). Market makers will do some delta-hedging which will place some downward pressure on the SP. OTOH, if Elon is predicting continued ramping up of M3 production with fewer employees, that equation suggests more efficient operations ahead.
For some quick references, see
* Elon's letter
* this post by @Fact Checking
* this post by @avoigt

Seems we got news and a slight change of plan.

Dip buyers bounced it of the 310 area today, breaking the intraday downward trend causing a temporary slowdown. I still think we will see the 300 area tested, which should be another good long opportunity.

If you look for a good intraday short I would enter if the 315-320 area is retested on Monday.

Yes, 301.94-45.37 (-13.06%) I think it's the right moment to buy.
The charts are really bearish now forming a bear flag, and the volume looks like it's gonna break the 300 level. I'm afraid we will see a gap down to 285-290 on Monday. If it still holds 300 on Monday opening, I'm in long. I'm also in long if it gaps down to 285-290 and shows strength.

I went short today at 317, I regret covering already at 312 ... :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190118-203043_DASTrader.jpg
    Screenshot_20190118-203043_DASTrader.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 61
jan18chart.JPG

Despite good macros today TSLA took a deep dive when details of a note to employees about a reduction in force of 7% included information about profits in Q4 and Q1 that were below the expectations of most investors. Here's a Bloomberg article that includes perspectives from several different analysts. I fall into the Ben Kallo camp, believing that the negatives were emphasized in this letter because it was used to identify the reasons for the layoffs, but when we get to the 4th quarter earnings report the tone will be more positive.

So much of the pushdown in the afternoon can likely be credited with market makers doing their delta-hedging to be in a neutral position regarding the puts and calls they sold. That afternoon pushdown is the reason I was so disappointed that Elon released this information today. On the other hand, investors have a 3-day weekend to cool off now and put things in perspective, and on Tuesday, when the market opens again, shorts will be restricted by the alternate uptick rule, so it'll be Wednesday of next week before they could try their mischief with TSLA.

The 4Q ER should provide needed details and I eagerly await it. Although Q4 profits will be less than Q3's, we could still see close to a billion dollars in free cash flow in Q4, which is a more important number actually than profits.

jan18mitchell.JPG

Russ Mitchell is an automotive writer at the L.A. Times, so he should be a reliable source. Looks like this important milestone became known today after market close. This approval was Tesla's most important piece that had to happen in Q1 for the quarter to be a success. Now let's get those M3s loaded on the Glovis Cosmos and launched for Europe in order to make that profit!

jan18tech.JPG

Looking at a rather ugly tech chart, you can see that the lower bb resides at 294, which should provide some help if needed. Let's hope with the homologation news out that TSLA has bottomed.

For the week, TSLA closed at 302.26, down 45.0 from last Friday's 347.26. It's been a wild day with TSLA. Have a good three day weekend and we'll see if we can get TSLA heading back in the right direction on Tuesday.

Conditions:
* Dow up 336 (1.38%)
* NASDAQ up 73 (1.03%)
* TSLA 302.26, down 45.05 (12.97%)
* TSLA volume 24.1M shares
* Oil 54.04
* Percent of TSLA selling tagged to shorts: 49%

Last edited:
While I know shorts did not dump an actual 11.2M shares today (49%), I would bet they dump 5M or so. That is a lot of extra price drop help when people are already not interested in buying. They basically shorted a typical days worth of trading AND were able to cover with profits. Not a bad day for shorts. So, do the MM make up losses this way?

While I know shorts did not dump an actual 11.2M shares today (49%), I would bet they dump 5M or so. That is a lot of extra price drop help when people are already not interested in buying. They basically shorted a typical days worth of trading AND were able to cover with profits. Not a bad day for shorts. So, do the MM make up losses this way?

What the market makers typically do is adjust their holdings through buying shares or by shorting so that their overall position remains neutral. In order to keep a neutral position on their holdings, they're buying shares when the SP is rising and shorting when the SP is falling. This is known as delta-hedging. Thus, we see a tailwind that helps push the SP up further when it is going up or down further when it is going down. Market makers typically make their money on the time decay of options, which is a safe way to earn a profit. Friday was unique because of the huge number of options expiring, and TSLA is unique in the number of shares related to options vs. actual shares (really high number of TSLA options vs. another stock because TSLA is so volatile).

Perspective on Friday's Events

A robust 24 million shares of TSLA traded hands on Friday. Although some of this trading can be attributable to short-sellers and to delta-hedging by market makers, a good amount was actual selling by longs. I think a big part of that selling was exit now, reenter soon trading by longs, who played the sale when TSLA was down early in the morning, expecting a further decline, and planning to reenter prior to the Q4 ER.

Here's the bear and the bull interpretations of events:
BEAR: Tesla made a profit in 3Q18, will have a smaller profit in 4Q18, and will be lucky to achieve a tiny profit in 1Q19 (according to Musk's letterr). Therefore, as Tesla uses up the orders for more expensive versions of the Model 3, it will continue to see lower profits, and with the additional pressure from subsidies going away, it will eventually run out of profitable options. The 7% Reduction In Force is but a futile step that will harm its ability to expand production.

BULL: Tesla is in the process of constant re-engineering of its Model 3 production process, and when the costs have fallen sufficiently the standard range M3 will be introduced and long-term demand issues will no longer be a concern. Consider the cost and labor savings by introducing the new Grohmann battery module assembly units at the Gigafactory. Consider the cost advantages of introducing faster cell manufacturing machines on the Panasonic side of the Gigafactory. Experts have stated that the standard range Model 3 could be built for $28,000. It's up to Tesla to tweak its assembly methods and reach this price point, and lots of changes are going to happen in Fremont. The changes don't come in even improvements. Instead, we see giant leaps all of a sudden. Did you notice how substantially M3 production picked up towards the end of Q4? This is an example of how uneven the improvement process is. Once Tesla achieves profitable production of the SR M3, the bears will have no leg to stand on and the SP will break out of this long-standing trading range.

Analysis:
A good primer is to review this video of analyst Pierre Ferragu, whose firm has had a longstanding $530 price target for TSLA.

Ferragu states that Tesla is transitioning from a high-priced luxury car manufacturer to a more moderately-priced manufacturer. When moving from a $55K vehicle to a $35K vehicle, demand increases 5X. It's this 5X increase in demand that blows the short-seller arguments right out of the water.

There's one huge competitor for Tesla's current Model 3 offerings, and it's none other than Tesla's Standard Range Model 3. That's the one vehicle that M3 buyers are willing to wait for. The good news for Tesla is that while these SR M3 buyers are waiting for their vehicles to be offered, some will upgrade to the current (more expensive ) Model 3s while waiting. For example, my next door neighbor had a SR M3 on order, but her BMW 325's air conditioner died and BMW wanted $5K to repair it. In Hawaii, AC is important, and so she opted for a MR M3 delivery at end of Q4. Nonetheless, many SR M3 buyers will wait for the less-expensive M3, and so it is critical for Tesla to get its costs low enough to make it profitable.

This cost reduction of M3 is essential for Tesla to make the transition to manufacturing a mainstream vehicle.It has to happen and it's not an easy process. That's the bad news. The good news is that when it does happen, Tesla will have secured its place as the king affordable EVs (as well as King of expensive EVs) and a breakout to new ATHs would be inevitable.The net result for us investors is that the breakout likely gets delayed until this event. Invest accordingly. One exception to this delay in the breakout could be an ER with much higher than expected results. For example, expectations are low for the 1Q19 ER now. If Tesla delivered a profit large enough to trigger S&P500 inclusion, then we could be a breakout.

Tesla has announced its 4Q18 ER for January 30. This is perfect timing because the right words can neutralize the low early February numbers for U.S. deliveries because Elon can explain production numbers and where the vehicles are going.

The big picture is that the bear case has now become "Tesla will run out of high-priced Model 3s to deliver and will see declining profit results each quarter until its clear that the company is in great trouble." The breakout for the bulls will come when results vanquish this argument. It's possible that Elon is doing some sandbagging with his 4Q18 and 1Q19 expectations. If so, we could see some nice rises after those ERs if the numbers surprise to the high side. It's no guarantee, though. The strategy with making money with TSLA is to keep your investments far enough in the future so that you can ride out the short-term turbulence. In the meantime, watch for increases in Model 3 production and word of efficiency improvements because those two issues will show us how well Tesla is doing at making that transition to becoming a mainstream auto manufacturer.

Last edited:
Thanks as always for these hugely informative posts! Just curious: how much weight do you give the other potential competitor for Model 3, the Model Y? Specifically, 1) it seems many Tesla customers/fans might be holding off for that slightly more family-friendly vehicle (I know I am), and 2) if an unveil does happen anywhere around the tentatively suggested March 15th (ides of March), then it might significantly affect price action in Q1, no?

Thanks as always for these hugely informative posts! Just curious: how much weight do you give the other potential competitor for Model 3, the Model Y? Specifically, 1) it seems many Tesla customers/fans might be holding off for that slightly more family-friendly vehicle (I know I am), and 2) if an unveil does happen anywhere around the tentatively suggested March 15th (ides of March), then it might significantly affect price action in Q1, no?

Patcho77,
Yes, it's quite likely that Model Y will sell more than Model 3. Just as with S and X, the sedan is going to be a bit less expensive to build, so you'll see some people who are really price-constrained going for Model 3. Nonetheless, in places such as North America, SUVs are considerably more popular than sedans, and so even with a price difference between 3 and Y, I think Y is going to eventually sell more copies. So much of whether the reveal bumps the SP upward depends upon the presence of a surprise. With Model 3, the vehicle was priced low but still looked (and performed) like a Porsche and the 400K+ reservations blew everyone's minds. Surprises were there. When Model Y is released, I suspect there will be a bump upwards when it is revealed the the Y is a good looking vehicle with good performance. Perhaps we'll see the pickup truck at that event too. What would surprise would be statements that would move forward expectations on production dates for Model Y, I suspect. Unfortunately, after the Model 3 reveal, it'll be much harder to surprise and thus I think Model Y reveal will be a considerably more muted response from the market. Hoping to be wrong.

jan22chart.JPG

This will be an abbreviated post due to an accidental erasing of the text during my first try. Today was a down day for the macros, with the NASDAQ down nearly 2%, tech stocks I follow down 2.25%-5.25%, but TSLA was down little more than 1%. Overall, we see strength in TSLA and it would have climbed today if macros had been better. The alternate uptick rule was in effect, which constrained how the shorts could manipulate today. That rule is gone tomorrow.

News:
* Goldman put out yet another negative note of TSLA while the other side of Goldman is buying TSLA. Same old scram. The market largely ignored this note.
* Model 3 homologation in Europe confirmed
* Model 3 about to begin deliveries in China
* Glovis Symphony has just docked at Pier 80 in San Francisco
Overall, news was positive

jan22nas.jpg

The NASDAQ dipped 1.91% today and didn't recover until the final hour

Notice the 369K shares traded in the first minute. I think a fair number were shorts buying shares so that they could then generate a MMD during a vulnerable period, such as 9:40am to 9:55am when hundreds of thousands of shares were sold to bring TSLA lower. I suspect it was shorts because the stock immediately rebounded and left the telling icicle shape

jan22short.jpg

Shorts were tagged with selling 55% of TSLA today, a high number considering the alternate uptick rule was in effect

For Wednesday, expect shorts to throw lots of resources at TSLA, trying to continue the downtrend. This will be much more difficult in a green macro environment.

jan22tech.JPG

With the lower bb at 292, it might offer some support tomorrow, if needed. Notice the other two dips since late December bottomed out in the 295 region, so there is reason to believe this one might too. Volume was half of Friday's, which suggests longs getting more comfortable with holding onto their shares.

Conditions:
* Dow down 302 (1.22%)
* NASDAQ down 137 (1.91%)
* TSLA 298.92, down 3.34 (1.11%)
* TSLA volume 12.1M shares
* Oil 53.03
* Percent of selling tagged to shorts: 55%

Shouldn't the icicles effect be lessened today due to the up tick rule being in place?

Yes, that's the odd thing. I think the shorts managed a mandatory morning dip by buying shares in first minute of trading and then selling a ton of them for the MMD. First minute of trading today was heavily elevated above normal.There's no uptick rule in place for buying on opening and selling in a lump because this is being done as a long, not as a short. I really don't think the algos by themselves would generate such a morning dip without a little help.