Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daily use of air compressor ok for 12v?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Strange one I know,

My Model 3 is in for work, just got finished yesterday with a collection date of today, which unless they’re going to deliver it to me isn’t going to happen.

The courtesy Model X I have has a screw stuck in one of the tyres (since I collected it) and it needs to be inflated every day to prevent it deflating too low, I don’t want to let it get low enough to cause damage to the tyre/wheel.

As I’m going to have the car on the drive probably for the next three weeks, is it likely that I’m going to cause 12v battery issues using the air compressor every day?

Thanks!

Is it a black model X from West Drayton GU18OPE? If so, when I had it I was appalled at the number of faults it had. I gave them a list when I returned it - most of which they already knew about. That it didn’t really want to drive in straight lines was a new one for them though! As to your original question, if you can’t charge at home, letting the tyre go down and pumping it up once will use less power than keeping it topped up.

Is it a black model X from West Drayton GU18OPE? If so, when I had it I was appalled at the number of faults it had. I gave them a list when I returned it - most of which they already knew about. That it didn’t really want to drive in straight lines was a new one for them though! As to your original question, if you can’t charge at home, letting the tyre go down and pumping it up once will use less power than keeping it topped up.
Yes it is that one. One of the rear seats is stuck in the up position too. It doesn’t smell great either. Did it have a puncture when you had it?

I can charge at home, but am worried about knackering either the 12v battery or the compressor itself, I doubt it’s designed for daily use...

No. Not at all. 12V battery can handle daily use of air compressors.
Great, thanks!

Now I just need to hope that the compressor doesn’t crap out. There’ll be no towing this thing off my driveway, and it’s a hill so changing a tyre in place would be fun.

*edit*
I’m over worrying, can just go buy a new compressor once lockdown it’s over

OP
Wasn’t aware of the puncture but the tyres were all grossly over inflated when I picked it up so maybe they knew of a puncture. I dropped the pressures to standard to see if it improved the steering - it didn’t. It was filthy inside and out. I cleaned the mud and food off the seats - actually I was impressed how the upholstery came clean with soapy water. I doubt it had been cleaned inside from new. Overall I was very unimpressed by that car. For a £90,000 car I thought it was awful. I wondered if the reason it was a loan car was because someone else thought so too and had returned it.

I remember owning one of those compressors (a cheap one). Neighbour's spare wheel had gone flat - burned out the compressor trying to put that much in it. If you have space a half-decent compressor is a useful item for all sorts of stuff. I have 2 of the Lidl ones and both have been reliable for years.
Unless the service centre has actually closed then i see no problem with you going to get your car. You can keep your distance while swapping keys. A reliable car is important at the moment - just not using them for trivia. I fully intend to take one of my ICE out today - just to keep it running. But I won't be stopping anywhere or chatting. just a 20mile run to keep it all working well since it hasn't been used 3 wks.

Reactions: TestPilot
Yay.
18B23115-1494-4421-98E0-D884018298C4.jpeg

12v aux - 12A continuous, 16A peak.

How long a peak at 16A can you get away with? How long does it take for the fuse to reset if you overload it and what out will it take out at the same time.

Many compressors seem to be a bit higher rated than 12A - I've just ordered a compressor (popping down to top up tyres not as convenient as it use to be) with no info on the 12V requirement, but as it has 18v lithium battery too, I'm only going to need 12V if battery run down.

But would be good to know the consequences of what to expect if that battery is flat.

It would be interesting to know this still, but I'm now more bothered by how they have somehow managed to cut the radio antenna ribbon cable!!! Doesn't look replaceable, looks like an entire new glass needed. This will be my 5th SC visit in 7 months. I am PISSED off.