Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dammit another puncture!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After getting a screw in the sidewall 7 days after delivery, my wife is right now on the side of the freeway with another flat (OK it took 10 months for this one).

But the tire is totally flat. What's the use of a 'run flat' if it doesn't run whan flat???

Well that will explain it. I thought they would have been run flats since no spare offered. They are stock 21" wheels/tires.

Anyone have any recommendations for aftermarket ones which fit the 21" rims? I wouldn't want to go and change all 4 though so I guess I'll be living with what we have.

Well that will explain it. I thought they would have been run flats since no spare offered. They are stock 21" wheels/tires.

Anyone have any recommendations for aftermarket ones which fit the 21" rims? I wouldn't want to go and change all 4 though so I guess I'll be living with what we have.
You can purchase as many as you need from a local tire store, tesla, or online. Do you have Michelin or continental?

im giving my car acupuncture... Its supposed to work out all the bugs.

As for me, its honestly not the nails but the potholes...
FML... i went though 3 tires in 1 yr because of potholes side wall damage, but lucky i have not bent or cracked the rim.
(goes finding a tree to knock on for good luck)

.....pro tip........potholes........

Oh man. This thread broke a damn in me.

I work in RE and my duties largely revolve around me visiting our sites, often in or close to construction zones or near heavy industry installations.

The net effect from this is I blow out a tire about every 4-6 months like clockwork. It’s insane. Also means one of the best investments I made was buying a 5th wheel from TSLA for a spare and a Quickjack!

I’ve also mastered the road hazard claims process from TireRack and I guess it’s a plus I’ve not had to buy - our of pocket that is - new tires in a few years despite going through 5-7 (...I’ve lost count) replacements under TireRack’s RH warranty.

3 tires in one year. I have a 2019 MX and last year I picked up a bolt on my right rear. The tire could not be fixed so I bought a new one to match the original Continental I had. Then 3 months ago I had another alert of low pressure on my left rear. Sidewall puncture so another new tire. Yesterday I went out and found my right rear completely flat so Tesla sent a tow truck and took it to their shop. Another sidewall, another tire. This is absurd. I've been driving for over 60 years and this has never happened before.

After getting a screw in the sidewall 7 days after delivery, my wife is right now on the side of the freeway with another flat (OK it took 10 months for this one).

We also live in SoCal and our 2015 P85D's 21" tires do seem to have more than their share of flats & potholes... probably because the the hundreds of thousands of cars & trucks on the roads here every day as well as all the road construction trying to burn up the CA "gas tax" money.

We've always bought "Tire Certificates" from America's Tire which gets us a free tire if they fail before they wear out. Absolutely worth it with 21" Tesla tires especially our P85D's staggered Michelin Pilot $uper $port $ound dampened tire$... 4 replaced in 60,000 miles + 2 flat repairs, even on well maintained South Orange County roads (mostly Newport Beach).

https://www.americastire.com/customer-service/certificates

19” are less prone to flats.....usually caused by potholes. Also are typically quieter. But of course they aren’t as “cool”.

19" tires & wheels are definitely less prone to flats since they're typically "skinnier" tires with taller treads. 19" are a lot less prone to pothole damage since their sidewalls are significantly taller.

21" tires & wheels definitely look and handle sportier, especially on significantly lighter & stronger Arachnid wheels.

I have both:
  • 21" Michelin Pilot Super Sport tireson on staggered Arachnida for well maintained SoCal / San Diego roads in dry season
  • 19" Michelin Primacty MX4 on Tesla Cyclone wheels for SiCal's short "rainy season" plus out of state road and snow trips
Need the rght Tool for the right Job.