Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damn camera picks up inappropriate speed signs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If that is the case, FSD will never work in Australia.
Austroads has been looking into the issue (not just Tesla - camera based traffic sign recognition systems in general) and issued a report a year ago:

Investigating variable speed limit signs readability

It mentions that some relevant Australian Standards for road signs have already been updated, it's now a matter of working out how to go about retrofitting existing signs.

Reactions: Hairyman
"Q - when will AP be able to recognize digital variable speed signs?
Caused by switching frequency of light source. Surround video (multiple cameras, across several frames), improving fps & exposure setting tweaks solves this. All in FSD build." (E Musk July 21)

So it should be fixed when the FSD software that includes surround video turns up.

I suspect that the problem is that the sign refresh rate in incompatible with the cameras’: with a fixed sign the computer can “see” several images in successive scans and interpret them as say “60”. If a refresh mixmatch shows one scan with just the top of a number, the second with nothing and the third with the bottom the system probably rejects them all as noise.
Sounds like a plausible explanation. However if they plan to use this information for Autopilot or for FSD, then they need to find a way to get it to work reliably pretty much every time. :)

Can I just ask what may be a dumb question here? I've had my Model 3 for just over a month now and as far as I can tell it has never taken its speed from a sign. I figured it was taking the speeds from the GPS maps data. There are many places around me where either speeds have changed or roads have been rerouted and the maps data is out of date and it always shows the old speed limits despite new speed signs being clearly visible.

There is a section of highway that is undergoing some major roadworks and there are large 80 signs everywhere but the Tesla consistently posts the speed as 110 no mater how many of them I go past.

There is also a new section of the highway that is finished and is now going over a section of road that used to be a side road. On this stretch I cannot use AutoPilot because even thought there are very clear signs that say 110 everywhere the GPS thinks I am on the side road and it automatically slows me down to 80 when travelling that section.

After reading this thread a little while ago I went out to my car to see if there was a setting I was missing that would make it get its speed data from signs rather than GPS Maps but I couldn't find one and a quick Google search is telling me that AutoPilot is now getting its speed data from signs as well as GPS but this is not my experience.

I don't have FSD but I do have the FSD visualisation on and I have paid attention and watched as it recognises a speed sign and shows it in the visualisation but it still ignores what the sign said and goes by the speed the GPS maps data is telling it it should be.

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Can I just ask what may be a dumb question here? I've had my Model 3 for just over a month now and as far as I can tell it has never taken its speed from a sign. I figured it was taking the speeds from the GPS maps data. There are many places around me where either speeds have changed or roads have been rerouted and the maps data is out of date and it always shows the old speed limits despite new speed signs being clearly visible.

There is a section of highway that is undergoing some major roadworks and there are large 80 signs everywhere but the Tesla consistently posts the speed as 110 no mater how many of them I go past.

There is also a new section of the highway that is finished and is now going over a section of road that used to be a side road. On this stretch I cannot use AutoPilot because even thought there are very clear signs that say 110 everywhere the GPS thinks I am on the side road and it automatically slows me down to 80 when travelling that section.

After reading this thread a little while ago I went out to my car to see if there was a setting I was missing that would make it get its speed data from signs rather than GPS Maps but I couldn't find one and a quick Google search is telling me that AutoPilot is now getting its speed data from signs as well as GPS but this is not my experience.

I don't have FSD but I do have the FSD visualisation on and I have paid attention and watched as it recognises a speed sign and shows it in the visualisation but it still ignores what the sign said and goes by the speed the GPS maps data is telling it it should be.

What am I doing wrong?
It's my understanding that currently, AP is set to ignore speed signs on highways, freeways & limited access roads.
Does it pickup speed signs on "normal" roads?

Reactions: muddie
Does it pickup speed signs on "normal" roads?
Not that I can tell. There aren't any changed speed limits on the suburban streets around here so the speed always matches what it should be anyway. But I have never had it accidentally pick up any other sign on local roads. My daughter lives in a gated community and they have speed limit signs in the complex that are 10 km/ph and it doesn't ever recognise or follow those.

There is a main thoroughfare near me that is 80 and it always takes a good 200-300m or so before it changes the speed from 60 to 80 so I kind of figured once again that that was a matter of the speed limit change being slightly different on the GPS positioning compared to where the sign actually is. That is not a highway or freeway.
Thanks for that bit of info though. I hadn't realised that it treated different sorts of roads differently and I'll pay more attention driving around local roads. The only thing is I don't use AP nearly as much on local roads as I do on major ones so maybe that is tainting my experience.

About 6 months ago on the road from Cooma to Jindabyne there was an old construction zone that had an 80kph sign. My car read that but then missed the very crappy 100kph sign 100m down the road. I couldn’t use Auto Steer above 80kph for the rest of the drive until another 100kph sign appeared.

About 6 months ago on the road from Cooma to Jindabyne there was an old construction zone that had an 80kph sign. My car read that but then missed the very crappy 100kph sign 100m down the road. I couldn’t use Auto Steer above 80kph for the rest of the drive until another 100kph sign appeared.

There's a particularly crappy 80 sign around my way that the car continually picks up as 30 :mad: I leave the AP on and accelerate to 80 (with the pedal!) and it continues to steer as normal but gives the alert cruise won't brake. Its annoying, but better than doing it at 30 :)
Ive also used this technique for a few turns it wants to do at some stupidly low speed.

Yeah this is the weird thing. Like I said in my post in my case there are 80 signs all over the place but it never pays any attention to them. It only uses the 110 speed limit from the maps data. I have no idea why although it sounds like whatever is happening to me is preferable to what is happening to you.

What am I doing wrong?
The error you have made is assuming tesla would clearly communicate with owners around how sign detection works/doesnt work.

• Funny
Reactions: muddie
Not that I can tell. There aren't any changed speed limits on the suburban streets around here so the speed always matches what it should be anyway. But I have never had it accidentally pick up any other sign on local roads. My daughter lives in a gated community and they have speed limit signs in the complex that are 10 km/ph and it doesn't ever recognise or follow those.
I live in a retirement village with 10Kph signs (How ridiculous is that?) and consistently what happens when I drive in from a 50 road (which the car says is 50, correctly), it actually "sees" the 10 yet stays at 50 for about 500m then resets to whatever speed I'm travelling at! (Which is never 10....)

My Model 3 used to recognise the low speed limit signs in car parks and on private roads, but it stopped doing that probably a year ago.

The lowest speed sign it ever recognised was 5 km/h, and with my +10 km/h buffer for exceed speed limit warnings, would bleep at me if I went faster than 15 km/h.

Think that's more that in Australia the car doesn't read signs on non-suburban roads at the moment.

It certainly correctly years most End 40 speeds in cities and renders then as a white sign with black slash, so the default urban limit of 50 applies.

Reactions: cafz