Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dangerous To Accelerate P3d With Old Man In My Car?

Should I allow my grandpa to floor my P3D at age 94?

• Yes, he will love the sick acceleration

Votes: 40 66.7%
  • No, it's going to kill him

Votes: 20 33.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would not give it the whole thing up front.. and I would warn him ("get ready... you ready.. im going to go in 3-2-1". You dont want to "shock" him like you would a friend / co worker etc.

Its kind of like a rollercoaster launch (the performance model anyway) and if he has a "history of stroke and heart disease" would you ever forgive yourself if something happened? Take it easy, and see how hes doing, and ride him around a bit. you can give a couple of "mid boost" runs, and see how he does..

Sage advice to a 94 year old.

OP - I'd tell him to tighten his belt, head back against the headrest and do a couple pulls with 1/3, 1/2, 3/4 throttle first to make sure he'll be ok. I let my 72 year old dad drive my much slower MR and told him to floor it and he did over and over again. He absolutely loved it, and I'm sure your grandpa will too. If mine grandparents were still around, no doubt I'd take them for spirited drives in it.

Sounds like fun. I hope I can enjoy this kind of stuff if I make it to 94. Just roll on the throttle for the first run and see how he reacts. If he says drop the hammer this time, well then you know what to do. Hopefully you don’t snap any axles or necks. ;)

I wish I still had my Pops but, when we were kids he'd tell my Uncle of my love for speed and once in a while he'd take me for a G-force launch in his '68 Shelby GT-500 KR. I've never felt anything else like that... Until the M3. I can't wait to return the favor and I'm sure he'll still get a thrill. Like some of you have said know your audience. ;)

Reactions: Big Earl
I went 80% throttle with my 97 year old grandmother in my awd non-P last month. First time experiencing it. She truly enjoyed it. And here's the vid to boot. Unfortunately she passed away last week to natural causes.

Bro MM! God bless your Grandma. What a sweet soul she was. I just love her reactions to the look, the ride and especially the feel. "So soft" had to be repeated a dozen times and I couldn't agree with her more! Thanks for sharing that with us.

I was just past my 78th birthday when I picked up my M3P. Impressive acceleration below 60 compared to my other ride, a breathed on 2011 CTS-V Coupe. It has about 27% more RWT with the enhancements - still drives great, better than stock.

The V can't compete with the T, for lack of traction below about 50. The T can't compete with the V from 60 up.
Both cars are zero to jail in about nine seconds.

Until now, my favorite ride had been the 93 RX7 that I had back then. The V was second to it because the RX7 had such great overall balance. The V does turn heads - it is one of the 298 Black Diamond Editions.

Now, the T is number one, pushing the RX7 to second and the V to third. Tesla did it.

Being an electronic hobbyist, most of my life, and a technology development professional all of my working life, I feel qualified to comment that Tesla has done a great job, to date - looking forward to what follows.

The accelerating T did frighten my wife. She reminds me to behave, when we go in it, and has only driven it once.