Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash And Wood Grain Misaligned?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone:

I noticed that the seam between the wood grain and dash on my M3 appears to be misaligned, resulting in the plastic of the dash to slightly protrude out. As a result, it's creating a indentation on my front passenger side door. Has anyone else run into this before? I've had my M3 for about a month.

I'm planning on taking it into a SC for a paint defect (blotch on my rear door) I also noticed recently as well, so I'll call this out now too. I'm hoping both of these issues will be taken care of. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks in-advance everyone.

Hello everyone:

I noticed that the seam between the wood grain and dash on my M3 appears to be misaligned, resulting in the plastic of the dash to slightly protrude out. As a result, it's creating a indentation on my front passenger side door. Has anyone else run into this before? I've had my M3 for about a month.

I'm planning on taking it into a SC for a paint defect (blotch on my rear door) I also noticed recently as well, so I'll call this out now too. I'm hoping both of these issues will be taken care of. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks in-advance everyone.

Yes. I had a similar thing on my new Model 3. I ended up pushing on the plastic side piece (the piece accessible with the passenger door open) and the piece seated further and I haven’t had issues since. But yes, originally it was leaving an indentation in the door material. That faded as soon as I pressed the plastic trim in.

Reactions: OCTrojan
Good point. Here's some pics. I included one from the driver's side for context.

Attachments

• IMG_5360.JPG
    IMG_5360.JPG
    563.3 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_5362.JPG
    IMG_5362.JPG
    294.7 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_5365.JPG
    IMG_5365.JPG
    281.8 KB · Views: 197
I pushed it in and seemed to help a bit, but I think I'll probably run into the same issue. I'll keep an eye on it for a few days and see if the indentation lightens up on the door.

You can see where the side panel deviates from the glove box.

Attachments

• IMG_5366.JPG
    IMG_5366.JPG
    365.3 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_5368.JPG
    IMG_5368.JPG
    299.2 KB · Views: 167
IMG_5372.JPG
IMG_5373.JPG
IMG_5383.JPG
IMG_5386.JPG
Hello everyone:

Got a quick update: I made an appointment with a SC about 2 weeks ago for this coming Saturday and just got a response yesterday. The rep asked for pictures and confirmed they would fix the misaligned dash and replace the door panel based on the photos.

One other thing to note: I also asked them to fix a paint blemish that I just noticed a week ago when I washed my M3. The rep said they've become strict on paint corrections and that they'll usually only honor paint correction requests within the first 100 miles (I wasn't aware of that). Luckily, based on the pics I sent her, she agreed they would fix that too.

I'll update this thread once the work is done. Hopefully it turns out well.

Thanks for the update. It took me a moment to see that paint issue since I was looking for scratches or something else, hah. It’s just needing to be polished out. If you look at your car in direct sunlight or garage light you’ll likely see quite a few of those.

Here’s another thread on it:

Paint Issues - Hazy White Spots - Black Model 3 SR+
Thanks William. Yeah, I saw that post as I was trying to dig up info on the issue. The rep I spoke to said it should take them less than a day to fix both issues. I hope everything turns out well. Other than these two issues, the car has been awesome.

Thanks William. Yeah, I saw that post as I was trying to dig up info on the issue. The rep I spoke to said it should take them less than a day to fix both issues. I hope everything turns out well. Other than these two issues, the car has been awesome.

Yeah should take them no time at all. And yes, the car is amazing. I’ve had mine 2 months to the day, and I get giddy at the thought of driving it.

IMG_5411.JPG
IMG_5412.JPG
IMG_5414.JPG
Hello everyone:

So I got my car back from the SC and it appears they fixed both my paint and the dash issues. According to the invoice, they replaced the wood grain and dash as they verified it was misaligned. And they steamed the door interiror (their words, not mine) to remove the indentation. Overall, I'm fairly satisfied with the fixes. I'll keep an eye on the door interior over then next few days to see if it returns or not.

One thing I noticed though that I wanted to bounce off everyone: the invoice had my mileage in as 1,921; however, the mileage out had 2,232. Did they really put 311 miles on my car? I can't fathom how/why this would be the case. I dropped my M3 off on Saturday and picked it up yesterday (Monday).

I texted my rep for an explanation. I really can't make this stuff up. Sheesh. We'll see what he says.

Last edited:
IMG_5373.JPG
I doubt they put 311 miles on your car. But... of course it's possible.

Glad they sorted the problem. What's the first picture?
That's to show the after of the paint issue I asked them to fix. Here's the before, it's the hazy circle next to the door handle.

I also got them to fix two scratches I got from a shopping cart someone kindly put next to my car.

View attachment 428137
That's to show the after of the paint issue I asked them to fix. Here's the before, it's the hazy circle next to the door handle.

I also got them to fix two scratches I got from a shopping cart someone kindly put next to my car.

Ahhh right. Yep. I have a few of those dull spots - just need to get around to polishing them out. I don't think I've seen a 3 that doesn't have those somewhere, but they're most easy to spot on black, then midnight silver. Very hard to see on white.