Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash cam for 2016 S HW1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$150 is excessive for a vehicle that cost $100K 4 years ago?
...yes it is. I wouldn't be able to afford the car if that was the way I justified purchases ;-)
I see nothing that the BlackVue offers that warrants that price tag:

• Rear camera? Not interested.
  • GPS tracking? My Roav did/does that.
  • Video backup? My Roav did/does that.
  • Two-way communication? What the heck is that for? I think my phone would work for that.
  • Live View? I don't even know what that is.
  • Emergency Alarm? My Roav did/does that. I think the Tesla does too.
  • Remote Video playback? My Roav did/does that.
Am I missing something here?

As much as I'd like to just concede to your ever-so-vague and baseless point, I simply can not.
I had the Roav in my last vehicle for over a year with zero issues.
It was easy to install, the picture quality is second to none (even at night) and the features are more than enough.
Unless you can point out a specific feature or "quality" that makes the BlackVue stand out over the Roav, I'll just install the Roav.
Thanks for the input!

As much as I'd like to just concede to your ever-so-vague and baseless point, I simply can not.
I had the Roav in my last vehicle for over a year with zero issues.
It was easy to install, the picture quality is second to none (even at night) and the features are more than enough.
Unless you can point out a specific feature or "quality" that makes the BlackVue stand out over the Roav, I'll just install the Roav.
Thanks for the input!
Okay. Well let’s wait for the line of recommendations to roll in.

I have the remains of a blackvue partially installed. I removed the front camera to try and figure out why it had stopped working entirely. It's about 3 years old, though the shut-down power backup stopped working just a few months in. While I haven't determined the cause of the total failure, the cause of the back-up power failure was unsurprisingly due to capacitors blowing themselves out due to overheating. BlackVue put 65 degrees rated supercapacitors in for that function, which makes it that much less surprising that they blew out in a relatively short period (months, not years). I guess they must have saved a couple of pennies on that part to get the 65 degree caps rather than 85 degrees.
Knowing that, I'm pretty reluctant to buy another blackvue dashcam.

I have IRO also, no frills but I like it. Everyone just assumes it’s the AP camera when looking at the front of the car since it looks stock.
The app is a little wonky and don’t expect to download using WiFi. It’s painfully slow, but I have a 128gb card and it works great

I have IRO also, no frills but I like it. Everyone just assumes it’s the AP camera when looking at the front of the car since it looks stock.
The app is a little wonky and don’t expect to download using WiFi. It’s painfully slow, but I have a 128gb card and it works great
  • Can you just grab vids off the SD card with a computer?
  • Does it have a park mode where it automatically starts recording when it senses impact or movement?

i'm curious who be looking at the front of your car and saying "that must be the AP camera" most people wont even see in that general area

Attachments

• dashcam1.PNG
    dashcam1.PNG
    558.7 KB · Views: 207
Yes to #1

#2 I don't think so for AP1, unless you have sentry mode? For AP2+ the IRO stays on if Sentry mode is enabled.
That's one of the great features of the Roav. It starts recording as soon as it detects any kind of motion/impact.
I have had the Viofo/SpyTec A119 installed for over a year and have been very happy with it. No frills, blends pretty well with the rear-view mirror/AP camera housing, and great video quality.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HN0HBFG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That one looks a lot like the Roav.

...yes it is. I wouldn't be able to afford the car if that was the way I justified purchases ;-)
I see nothing that the BlackVue offers that warrants that price tag:

• Rear camera? Not interested.
  • GPS tracking? My Roav did/does that.
  • Video backup? My Roav did/does that.
  • Two-way communication? What the heck is that for? I think my phone would work for that.
  • Live View? I don't even know what that is.
  • Emergency Alarm? My Roav did/does that. I think the Tesla does too.
  • Remote Video playback? My Roav did/does that.
Am I missing something here?

Try this : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...scom&camp=1789&creative=9325&m=A20EOKI5J81PCR
Coupon code: Z6A58H7M

i have this

I have an IRO and it's flawless. 5 minutes to install and looks stock.
Yes to #1

#2 I don't think so for AP1, unless you have sentry mode? For AP2+ the IRO stays on if Sentry mode is enabled.
Hey I’m thinking about buying this, what are your thoughts on it overall? I like you cannot tell there is a dashcam there. I’ve noticed 2 buttons on the side. Do you know if you can press one to record while you are in a parking lot? I’m also interested if this has motion detection while the car is parked but can’t find that. Do you notice any substantial vampire drain after having installed this? Thanks