Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash Cam Install for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes it is connected to the the rectangular black plastic box in the middle of the photo (with the white stickers on) that also has a white and grey wire coming out of it so it is being used for something (to power this). If this is power for whatever this black box is can I tap into somehow with a clever wiring rig so that I can continue power for the box and take a branch off for the dashcam?

It’s the enhanced intrusion detection system standard in EU and optional in US - that’s why most US cars don’t have the plastic box in the microphone mesh area. You can still tap into constant 12v - I would probably make a connector that would use the existing plug including 12v source and then split output to both your dashcam and the intrusion detection. Just to be clear, this 12v is on all of the time. If you want 12v that is switched, the best and closest place to get that would be in the rear view mirror base (again, I would build a similar connector adaptor for the mirror and dashcam, if going with switched.) Switched at the mirror is on when the car is on or when Sentry mode is activated.

• Informative
Reactions: jorobsand and arcus
Finally installing my old dash cam I had in my 2016 Prius, in my 2014 Model S. I have auto-pilot and know that the sensor (camera?) is where the dash cam might be installed. Must I mount the dash cam so it isn't in front of the sensor (the one behind the rear view mirror)?

I am in the UK and have popped open the mesh grille to find a different set up - there is an rectangular black box in the middle which appears to have a 4 pin power plug going into it. I don't see any spare power plug. Hopefully the photo makes clear what I am saying. Is there any way to rig up a power cord to feed power to a dashcam - in this case a Nextbase 522GW using the plug shown and still being able to power whatever the black box is? Thanks

View attachment 547975

hi , i recently had a 4 camera set up installed by shield it . https://www.shield-it.co.uk/ David done a great job routing the cable around the car . it was fed from the obd port with a switch and a fuse . he met me at a supercharger half way between me in london and him in the midlands .

would highly recommend contacting him , very good at what he does . has a discount for tesla owners uk members too.