Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash cam or not....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you use either Simon @ Holbon or David @ Shield they supply, come to you and install - without a loose wire or any other evidence apart from the cameras themselves. It's my first dash cam and I don't park in high risk places either (occasional Waitrose car park excepted!) - my concern was about being hit by a 3rd party who contested liability.

I guess given how close we are (allegedly) to V9 I suppose it's worth waiting but I will be astonished if the Tesla solution is good enough to be of meaningful use.

If V9 wasn't on the horizon I would have seriously considered getting cams fitted, but I've managed okay for 33 years without them so far and so I see it as a very small risk. If the V9 dashcam solution turns out to be crap then I will certainly re-consider. At the moment it's in the same thought bin as a door bell cam for me! I can see the benefits, but where do you draw the line between risk reduction and paranoia? I'm starting to think these cams make a lot of sense now the cost is relatively low and the tech capable, but I'm hoping V9 will be a reasonable solution without adding yet more cameras to this car!

I've managed okay ... without them

Me too ... but I really think I should fit one - to attribute liability if the need arose, and to capture any interesting moments:

I also wonder if I sent a Clip of every tail, head and side light "out" to Plod if they'd let the Owner know?

door bell cam

We have CCTV in at home (just in case) ... both Covert and Overt (including inside the house). Cost not-a-lot and I would like to give Plod some nice clear pictures if some tealeaf did have a go. So far I have used it multiple times for "When did we do Such and Such" ... and once to point-finger at family-member that ran over the edge on my lawn :mad: (Also have some Bushnell trail-cameras after some low-life wandered into the garden and broke some things)

In terms of Door Cam a chum of mine has one, it actually supports 3 (I think) cameras, so they have two others pointing into the garden and down the drive. They had some building work done whilst they were absent and quizzed the builders, and their invoice, as to why they were late getting to site every day ;)

Plus you get to do Cool Tricks like this :)

️‍ Ryan Ross on Twitter

Sample size of 1, so beware!

Similarly I’d never had or considered dashcams in 20-odd years of living in London, and didn’t consider it at all when I got my Model S in June 2015. (We now live in Hertfordshire) I wish I had - four days after coming back from the detailers (took car on day 2 of ownership) I parked it at Luton Airport for a long weekend and came back to find the driver behind me had clearly confused forward and reverse and ploughed heavily into my rear bumper. I scuffed out most of the worst (plus it was at the back) and lived with it.

Then that following October I parked on the north side of Hyde Park behind a lovely wide Lamborghini, and again while parked picked up two deep dents in the crease on the right back panel. I can only imagine some moped fell sideways into it. I tried to live with that as well but it really destroyed my enjoyment of the car so eventually gave in and Bodytechniced it. Very expensive - I paid directly - and now both our cars run double dashcams. For the negligible expense relative to the repair I wouldn’t chance it again, even in the relatively calm driving outside London that I now mostly partake in. And the Tesla does seem to garner attention, whether for bad or good, and that’s not necessarily helpful!

It's worth mentioning that if you plan to take your car to the continent, having dashcam's can be a problem in certain places...

Using your dash cam abroad: driving in Europe – Which? News

i might add here that in certain places i.e. germany (which afaik did have a dashcam ban previously?) it is not unusual that after even a minor collision the police would come and get detailed statements so there is no worry about the party at fault later denying anything.

... I don't park in high risk places either (occasional Waitrose car park excepted!)....

As it happens, the rear nearside wheel arch of my Model S was scraped, when my car was parked in a Waitrose car park. It appears that damage is limited to paint from the other vehicle left on my car but I have not yet managed to polish all of the marks off. This prompted me to buy and install a fairly inexpensive car camera, which records when parked. One snag with cameras that record when the vehicle is parked is that the recorded video files require a lot of storage space, especially for high resolution cameras. If recording is only triggered when the camera senses an impact, it will likely miss the majority of car park incidents or vandalism.

As it happens, the rear nearside wheel arch of my Model S was scraped, when my car was parked in a Waitrose car park. It appears that damage is limited to paint from the other vehicle left on my car but I have not yet managed to polish all of the marks off. This prompted me to buy and install a fairly inexpensive car camera, which records when parked. One snag with cameras that record when the vehicle is parked is that the recorded video files require a lot of storage space, especially for high resolution cameras. If recording is only triggered when the camera senses an impact, it will likely miss the majority of car park incidents or vandalism.

That is just so aggravating and infuriating when it happens :mad:. I believe my BlackVue buffers at 3 minute intervals so in the event of an incident it should capture the whole incident. Vandalism is tough as there's pretty much zero prospect of identifying the perp. At least with a car if you have the reg plate you can track it down via the MIB.

Sample size of 1, so beware!

Similarly I’d never had or considered dashcams in 20-odd years of living in London, and didn’t consider it at all when I got my Model S in June 2015. (We now live in Hertfordshire) I wish I had - four days after coming back from the detailers (took car on day 2 of ownership) I parked it at Luton Airport for a long weekend and came back to find the driver behind me had clearly confused forward and reverse and ploughed heavily into my rear bumper. I scuffed out most of the worst (plus it was at the back) and lived with it.

Then that following October I parked on the north side of Hyde Park behind a lovely wide Lamborghini, and again while parked picked up two deep dents in the crease on the right back panel. I can only imagine some moped fell sideways into it. I tried to live with that as well but it really destroyed my enjoyment of the car so eventually gave in and Bodytechniced it. Very expensive - I paid directly - and now both our cars run double dashcams. For the negligible expense relative to the repair I wouldn’t chance it again, even in the relatively calm driving outside London that I now mostly partake in. And the Tesla does seem to garner attention, whether for bad or good, and that’s not necessarily helpful!

If I was in London or any other major town/city then dash cams would be a no-brainer. But out here in the sticks (providing you are fairly picky where you park) it's rarely an issue. Still probably should fit them simply because I can, but will see if the V9 solution is acceptable at this point (need to read up on the recent previews).

Edit: Having read the preview of Tesla dash-cam, it doesn't sound very good! Certainly no substitute for a high-end dedicated dash-cam setup and baffling why they would only use the front facing camera when there is a decent reversing camera. Technical reason or just slow to implement a proper finished feature?

Last edited:
Edit: Having read the preview of Tesla dash-cam, it doesn't sound very good! Certainly no substitute for a high-end dedicated dash-cam setup and baffling why they would only use the front facing camera when there is a decent reversing camera. Technical reason or just slow to implement a proper finished feature?

Who knows, a well intentioned effort hamstrung by a combination of technical and resource issues I think. Either way, as you say, no substitute for a proper job. Out in the sticks you may be less likely to experience the type of events described above, but plenty of "non fault" incidents on the road suddenly get challenged - especially when the 3rd party realises what they have driven into.

Compression resources is the most likely explanation (and similarly for why this is AP2.5 only). They need all the compute resources they have got (and more) to run the AP, so they won’t want to use compute resources to do video compression. Presumably one of the GPUs on the AP2.5 board has a hardware compression block that would otherwise be unused. Even then, it will be eating memory bandwidth so it doesn’t come for free.

Reactions: Peteski and .jg.
out here in the sticks (providing you are fairly picky where you park) it's rarely an issue

I live in the sticks ... I've just noticed a "scrape" on the nearside front bumper, someone must have done that when it was parked ...

As it happens the car is wrapped, and the damage will wash out and then repair with a hair drier (although the wrap is torn so maybe not perfect ... but no body / paint damage).

But a DashCam might well have enabled me to get someone else to pay for that work to be done.

I live in the sticks ... I've just noticed a "scrape" on the nearside front bumper, someone must have done that when it was parked ...

As it happens the car is wrapped, and the damage will wash out and then repair with a hair drier (although the wrap is torn so maybe not perfect ... but no body / paint damage).

But a DashCam might well have enabled me to get someone else to pay for that work to be done.

Sure it's always a possibility and a dash-cam could be very useful. In the last 20 years I haven't personally had a scrape, which is why I'm not rushing out to buy one immediately, but my wife has had a couple of very minor parking dings and my father in law seems to pick them up on a monthly basis! But he does park carelessly in spots that I wouldn't go anywhere near. Like for example he insists on parking close to the supermarket entrance where there is a double row with not quite enough room to reverse out in one move without hitting anything parked in the row behind. So you can imagine what happens there on a regular basis and sure enough he's been scraped several times and learns nothing from it, lol. I just park further away on a single row with all the other people who don't want their cars scraped.

But having said all that, I think dash-cams are a very good idea and will get them fitted if the Tesla built-in version isn't up to the job after a few iterations.

Reactions: WannabeOwner