Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashboard Issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just noticed this yesterday on my dashboard.. I don't think it was ever there before. Looks kind of like delamination?
Anyone else ever see this?

Attachments

• right side dash.jpeg
    right side dash.jpeg
    488.9 KB · Views: 346
  • upper left corner.jpeg
    upper left corner.jpeg
    384.3 KB · Views: 233
looks like I am just going to order one off ebay for around 160.00. Just need to make sure I get the right part number

Just warning that it is not plug and play with a replacement cluster. If you plan to just replace the glass on your existing then fine but if you plan to swap the cluster it will need reprogramming. Also waiting until a software update to do it is a myth, does not work and software update fails.

Just warning that it is not plug and play with a replacement cluster. If you plan to just replace the glass on your existing then fine but if you plan to swap the cluster it will need reprogramming. Also waiting until a software update to do it is a myth, does not work and software update fails.

wow..not plug and play...I am no where near a Tesla service center and 12 to 1500 is just to much for me to justify for replacing it.
I guess I either have to tear it apart and clean it or just live with it until it affects the seeing the gauges.

wow..not plug and play...I am no where near a Tesla service center and 12 to 1500 is just to much for me to justify for replacing it.
I guess I either have to tear it apart and clean it or just live with it until it affects the seeing the gauges.

Taking it apart and cleaning it is a daunting task but it can be done it you are handy. I did mine and it is doing fine so far. The fluid will leak out if you don't take care of it, it is some nasty stuff. Has the consistency of cold honey or maple syrup.

Interesting that we get a bunch of these reports in the middle of summer. Tesla was adamant with me that heat does not cause this issue. My car was at the service center, parked mostly in direct sunlight, most of last summer and immediately afterwards had this same issue. Of course Cabin Overheat Protection was not on.

I removed the instrument cluster, used 100lb fishing line to separate the glass. I then scraped off all of the glue with a plastic putty knife and used rubbing alcohol to remove the excess glue. Re glued the glass with high temp silicone. The glue is extremely hard to remove, it took all day.

Is the high temperature silicone you used optically clear? I thought most of them cured to a milky clear color. Which one did you use and did it cure clear or milky?

I’ve fixed a telescope component in which the original adhesive failed between two glued optical elements. For that I used an ultraviolet curing optical cement. That stuff is crystal clear and has a refractive index similar to glass. I don’t think it is flexible, though, so I don’t know if it would work for the whole screen. It is pretty wicked to dissolve and remove once cured, it takes an aggressive paint remover. I had some dust between the elements on the first try so ended up removing that optical cement. It took a week of soaking in the paint remover and that was over a distance from the edges of a 2 inch circle. So a repair involving use of an optical cement on a 17” screen is probably a one time irreversible effort.

Is the high temperature silicone you used optically clear? I thought most of them cured to a milky clear color. Which one did you use and did it cure clear or milky?

I’ve fixed a telescope component in which the original adhesive failed between two glued optical elements. For that I used an ultraviolet curing optical cement. That stuff is crystal clear and has a refractive index similar to glass. I don’t think it is flexible, though, so I don’t know if it would work for the whole screen. It is pretty wicked to dissolve and remove once cured, it takes an aggressive paint remover. I had some dust between the elements on the first try so ended up removing that optical cement. It took a week of soaking in the paint remover and that was over a distance from the edges of a 2 inch circle. So a repair involving use of an optical cement on a 17” screen is probably a one time irreversible effort.

It was applied around the edges of the instrument cluster only. Once the bezel is reinstalled it is not visible

Last edited:
under warranty?

Yes it will be under warranty. Tesla reached out and said they needed to order a new IC unit and it will be in beginning of next week. I have an appt next Thursday to have it fixed and a few minor things that are wants more than needs.

My car is a 2014 but it was a CPO (yes yes i know. USED) in May of this year. So it has a warranty for another 60k.

Make sure you have Cabin Overheat Protection on and use a sun shade to prevent it from happening to your replacement. I also had good tint (Llumar Stratos) installed on all windows including the windshield and the IC bubbling has not gotten worse.