Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam card/stick

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,

A while back I bought a memory card to use for sentry mode/dashcam. After reading on here that the best thing to use is a high endurance MicroSD card with a USB adaptor I ordered a SanDisk High Endurance 100MBs Micro SDXC Card and put it in a USB adaptor.

It didn't work, however I had stupidly put the adaptor through the washing machine just before using it, so I found some other adaptors and tried those. I had two identical ones, one worked, the other didn't. Anyway, I used the working one and forgot about it, until the other day when I returned to my car to see an error message on the screen claiming that my storage device wasn't fast enough and needed to be capable of (I think) 4MBps. I've only had that message once in months of using this card, so I'm not sure if it was a random glitch or an issue with the card adaptor. Clearly the card I have is plenty fast enough...

Anyway, I had a Tesla service appointment booked to fix a few things so asked the guy if the USB ports were USB 3.0. He said they were, although I'm not sure he's right.

Anyway, I figured the adaptor must be the issue slowing the card down, so I bought a brand new SanDisk USB 3.0 MicroSD adaptor and tried that earlier.

Didn't work at all.

Anybody know why some adaptors work and others don't? Doesn't seem to make any sense. It's just an adaptor after all.

Perhaps somebody knows of an adaptor that works really well in the Tesla? Or should I stick with the old one that works and ignore the odd (rare) message about it being too slow?

Cheers

The thing is, the adaptor that seems to work for me (and only showed the error message once, referring to a sentry cam trigger (rather than dashcam recording) I'm pretty sure is only USB 2.0. I got it somewhere as a freebie years ago.

However, the new SanDisk adaptor I have is USB 3.0 and on TeslaTap's website as being a good one to use.

It's the SanDisk one shown in the below article, with the photo of 4 adaptors, it's the one on the far right.

USB Flash Drives for Tesla Dashcam | TeslaTap

Did you see how full the card was?

flash memory slows down, often quite a lot, as it gets full.

I clean off my USB key every 3-4 months (it never gets more than maybe 1/2 to 2/3rds full in that amount of time) and in 18 months I've never had any issue with the too slow junk.

Yes there are many threads on this, here's mine posting FYI. I've had zero problems since setting this up and I got those parts not long after dashcam was introduced.

MASTER THREAD: USB drives that work with Sentry and TeslaCam
Yes, I've read a number of threads on this and other websites like the TeslaTap one that I mentioned. Both you and TeslaTap recommend the SanDisk USB 3.0 adaptor, which is the one I just bought which isn't working for me. One thread I saw says that it stopped working around November for some reason, so I'm surprised that yours is still working.

If I switch back to the Samsung adaptor I was using then mine works fine, so I know it's not the card or the USB port. The only issue is the "device too slow" warning that I got recently - which is why I'm searching for a new card reader.

Sounds like the port isn't USB 3.0 anyway though...