Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam icon shows 'x' with or without usb flash drive inserted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So are we saying to do a factory reset and that will solve it?
Wondering what else can be screwed up by doing this?
I checked out some threads before I did factory wipe and didn’t find any issues with doing it. Just gotta redo all your user seat/autopilot driving profiles and you’ll lose things like suspension-raise on locations. Pretty happy today that we did this. I’ll be sure to update if the dashcam stops working as I know some resets only lasted days or less.

Also, my maps were loading/rendering super slow or almost not at all yesterday. Today they are wayyyyyy better. So pretty pumped on that. Might just make this reset a yearly thing or so.

Thanks for the update. I've been without Dashcam since 16.2 as well. It did work randomly for one drive. We also had the issue where our consumption over the last 5/15/30 miles froze. I've tried resets and formatting, but have not gone with the factory reset yet.

So I did the factory reset. All my FM radio and Slacker and browser favs are gone. And Homelink. And Wifi connection. Sad. But expected.

But now my nav maps need to redownload. Nav shows my car at Tesla HQ in Palo Alto, and the car time is set to Pacific Daylight. Hope the maps download soon.

Good to know a factory reset might be an option to resolve the issue, though I'm going to pass on that for now. I've already wasted enough time on this issue, I really don't want to have to setup everything again. Hopefully a software update to correct this will be coming soon.

I have the same problem so SC pushed 16.2 again. The cam worked for 2 days and then got the dreaded gray x!?! I tried resetting the MCU and reformating several times with no luck. Looks like I'm going to have to do the factory reset like you guys (but having to redo every setting just seems such a waste of time.) I hope they push another update soon... Crossing my fingers.

After doing the factory reset this morning, the broken dashcam and trips display are working. Aside from redoing touch screen option selections, I had to recreate driver profiles, name the car again, redo Homelink setup, reset FM radio stations. All of that took maybe a half hour. All my Slacker streaming favorites carried over, which was nice.

What I have not done is recreate navigation favorites and browser favorites. I seem to recall that setting up the links to Teslawaze and Tesla Winds and Elevation will require getting tokens again. So I've put that off.

Overall, no regrets doing the factory reset.

Just got 20.1 this evening. I haven't had a USB drive inserted because of this issue. After the upgrade there was no dashcam icon visible at all. I inserted the drive and the dashcam icon showed up and shows it working, we'll see if this lasts I guess.