Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam Install Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently installed the 750 on our M3, no issues running it directly to the battery. Very easy install, except the removal of the air intake. You really need to have some tiny hands in order to get the plastic nuts off of the corners.

I can post a step-by-step slideshow of the install if others need it. Every trim piece for removal came off with relative ease. Shouldn't take a novice more than a couple of hours. Pro's should be able to do it in about 45 mins or so.

So, I decided to take a gamble amidst some of the issues people had with hard-wiring their dashcams to the car's 12V battery and so far so good. I hard-wired it on 4/6/18 and it's now been over a month without any issues. This period also includes a full 4 day period where it sat in an active train station parking lot without being plugged in. I'm not sure what's been going on with others, or if this was repaired in a firmware update, but so far I've had no problems.

Does anyone know of a dash cam that uses two remote cameras? It gets very hot in the summer here and I’d rather have the recording hardware remoted in the car and only the front / rear cameras in the windshield / back glass.

Last edited:
I recently installed the 750 on our M3, no issues running it directly to the battery. Very easy install, except the removal of the air intake. You really need to have some tiny hands in order to get the plastic nuts off of the corners.

I can post a step-by-step slideshow of the install if others need it. Every trim piece for removal came off with relative ease. Shouldn't take a novice more than a couple of hours. Pro's should be able to do it in about 45 mins or so.

Would love to see a slideshow of this, particularly the trim removals. Thanks!

So, I decided to take a gamble amidst some of the issues people had with hard-wiring their dashcams to the car's 12V battery and so far so good. I hard-wired it on 4/6/18 and it's now been over a month without any issues. This period also includes a full 4 day period where it sat in an active train station parking lot without being plugged in. I'm not sure what's been going on with others, or if this was repaired in a firmware update, but so far I've had no problems.

Keep us posted...it took me 3 months for the error to show up.

Uh oh...
Yes, I will keep you posted. I wanted to get the battery just like you did, but it was hard to justify buying the battery at a higher cost than what I purchased the camera for. If it starts throwing errors in 3 mos then I'll be forced to go with the battery option :(

PS your vid just popped up on my recommended YouTube vids, thanks for sharing!

Reactions: tracksyde and K-MTG
I installed my BlackVuew 750S-2ch this weekend. For now, I plugged in to the cigarette lighter. All the cables and cord tuck neatly out of the way, but I ran the cord for the rear camera under the bottom door sills - not the headliner. I wanted to stay away from the airbags, just in case.

A little disappointed that you cannot flip the video orientation 180degrees on the front camera so that limited my placement options a little bit on the windshield. I put the camera in the middle of the glass, under the AP camera housing.

@Jason Bourne,

Correct me if I’m wrong....but I believe in a recent software update that I downloaded that BlackVue added the capability to VidFlip 180 degrees the ‘front’ camera orientation. Just look into it. I didn’t currently need that ability tho I may in the future so didn’t really pay attention to it but thought I read that in the software update specs. Good Luck!

Ski

Reactions: Akikiki
I recently had Calibred Customs come by to install the 4K Blackvue and the B-124 battery. I really considered skipping the battery given its exorbitant cost, but had seen your Youtube follow up video on needing to install the battery pack, so I decided to go the same route. I figure if it saves me from one insurance incident, it'll be worth it. Calibred did a great job btw. Thanks for sharing all that.

Reactions: K-MTG
@Jason Bourne,

Correct me if I’m wrong....but I believe in a recent software update that I downloaded that BlackVue added the capability to VidFlip 180 degrees the ‘front’ camera orientation. Just look into it. I didn’t currently need that ability tho I may in the future so didn’t really pay attention to it but thought I read that in the software update specs. Good Luck!

Ski
I did update the firmware and I looked really hard. Maybe I missed it but I didn't see anything. I've already mounted the camera so if I were to find that feature now, I wouldn't move the camera.

I did update the firmware and I looked really hard. Maybe I missed it but I didn't see anything. I've already mounted the camera so if I were to find that feature now, I wouldn't move the camera.
@Skion65 is correct about now having the ability to flip BOTH front and rear cameras. I updated my Blackvue 720S-2ch to firmware v1.06 and the feature is there. Don't remember the exact section in the settings, but look through them if you need this.

• Informative
Reactions: Az_Rael
@Skion65 is correct about now having the ability to flip BOTH front and rear cameras. I updated my Blackvue 720S-2ch to firmware v1.06 and the feature is there. Don't remember the exact section in the settings, but look through them if you need this.
@Skione65 you guys are right. I did a firmware upgrade today and the option to flip the front camera is right there above the option to flip the rear camera. I know it I successfully upgraded the firmware to the most current at the time of install and it wasn't there when I was looking for it. So I guess just bad luck/timing on my part....

So watching this video of a dashcam install, and he seems to be plugging the dashcam into a normal battery, not one of the ones specifically made to plug a dash cam in.

It seems like he has one of the blackvue's, but I thought you had to buy the really expensive battery?

So watching this video of a dashcam install, and he seems to be plugging the dashcam into a normal battery, not one of the ones specifically made to plug a dash cam in.

It seems like he has one of the blackvue's, but I thought you had to buy the really expensive battery?

You can use any battery...but some batteries are better than others. The Blackvue battery I am using has bluetooth, temperature monitoring, large capacity, and designed to survive the heat in the car. And also charges quickly.

I have a bunch of 4.4Ah 36V Li battery packs and was initially thinking about using 1 or 2 for this purpose. I ended up getting the Blackvue B-124 because it's just not worth the risk and performance differences.
The Blackvue battery uses LiFePo4 batteries instead of Lithium Ion. They are more expensive, but they also charge faster, aren't as much a fire hazard, last MUCH longer (in charge cycles), and deal with the heat better.

One other note on using large Li USB packs: nearly all of them grossly overstate their actual capacity. I wouldn't trust that mAh number unless I've seen the cells inside for myself. (also note they output 5v compared to the ~12.8v of the B-124 so you have another loss in the boost conversion)

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
@Skione65 you guys are right. I did a firmware upgrade today and the option to flip the front camera is right there above the option to flip the rear camera. I know it I successfully upgraded the firmware to the most current at the time of install and it wasn't there when I was looking for it. So I guess just bad luck/timing on my part....

@Jason Bourne,

I was pretty sure it was there in firmware update v1.06.....Glad I could help! Hope this helps your situation and now you don’t have to move or reinstall the cam itself!

Ski

If you could post some information on how you removed the black housing on the front windshield so you can hide the camera's wire that would be awesome!

I am a bit confused. Based on this
I have a bunch of 4.4Ah 36V Li battery packs and was initially thinking about using 1 or 2 for this purpose. I ended up getting the Blackvue B-124 because it's just not worth the risk and performance differences.
The Blackvue battery uses LiFePo4 batteries instead of Lithium Ion. They are more expensive, but they also charge faster, aren't as much a fire hazard, last MUCH longer (in charge cycles), and deal with the heat better.

One other note on using large Li USB packs: nearly all of them grossly overstate their actual capacity. I wouldn't trust that mAh number unless I've seen the cells inside for myself. (also note they output 5v compared to the ~12.8v of the B-124 so you have another loss in the boost conversion)
How are you planning to recharge the batteries?