Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam, USB, and Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the dash cam only work with autopilot? We don't have autopilot so is there any ability to use the dash cam manually?

The instructions I saw said to format the drive using Fat32 (were on Windows). Does it work on drives bigger than 32 GB that have to be formatted and exFat?

Thanks,

Reid

Does the dash cam only work with autopilot? We don't have autopilot so is there any ability to use the dash cam manually?

The instructions I saw said to format the drive using Fat32 (were on Windows). Does it work on drives bigger than 32 GB that have to be formatted and exFat?

Thanks,

Reid

The dashcam uses AP camera's however its a known fact that AP cameras still are still active even if you don't have AP feature. I would assume that dashcam will still work...its a simple test, just format a USB stick (any size) and name it TeslaCam and stick it in one of the USB's...if you get a cam icon with a red dot you're good to go.

• Informative
Reactions: Shygar
You can format a drive larger than 32GB with FAT32. My dashcam USB is a 64GB that came as exFAT and I found a utility online that formatted it as FAT32. But actually in my case I split it into two partitions. One 32GB drive for my dashcam and one 32GB drive for music. Both work flawlessly.

If you have Windows 10 you can format drives larger than 32GB as FAT32 by hitting Start and searching for Powershell(admin) and running the following command: "format /FS:FAT32 I:" where I: is the drive letter of your USB drive.

Thanks,

Reid

It works fine without EAP... mine runs continually...

Amazon... works great out of box and lasts along time. Download app to iPhone and you can watch video and email/save to phone.

Attachments

• 7CB95BE1-41C0-4B25-B432-B03F2D508303.jpeg
    7CB95BE1-41C0-4B25-B432-B03F2D508303.jpeg
    283.4 KB · Views: 271
I wish Tesla would provide the ability to format the drive once inserted. The setup isn't confusing but it's not straight forward either. Do I format in FAT33 or NTSB? I fairly certain mine is setup correctly but it's hit or miss when it's time to fetch the recordings.

I wish Tesla would provide the ability to format the drive once inserted. The setup isn't confusing but it's not straight forward either. Do I format in FAT33 or NTSB? I fairly certain mine is setup correctly but it's hit or miss when it's time to fetch the recordings.

Neither “FAT33” or “NTSB” :p.

Choose FAT32 (universal file system), not NTFS (Windows only file system). This thread that I linked to a few posts up has all of the info you need to know to properly format the flash drive: [V9] How to Format USB into 2 Partitions for DashCam and Music [Windows]

They could easily do this. But then they run the risk of people not realizing it will erase everything. Then how do you make sure you are erasing the right one if you have more than one plugged in? So maybe it will come in a future update, but it's a pretty easy thing to do if you have access to a computer and can follow some instructions.