Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam users in Toronto/Ottawa/Montreal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m looking to purchase a 2CH dashcam for my Model S (most likely the BlackVue 750 as suggested by many users on the forum).

That said, I’m a little hesitant to install it myself. I live in Ottawa, but would be willing to travel a little bit to have it installed. Does anyone in the region have a dashcam? If so, which one did you buy and who installed it?

I’d be interested in hearing any positive stories, as well as any horror stories/pitfalls I should look to avoid.

Thanks!!

You can install yourself, model S isn’t very difficult

Get the power magic battery bundle and you don’t need to deal with tapping into battery

I want it completely integrated and hidden away. I don't want the Power Magic Battery Pack plugged into my cigarette lighter.

I don't want to be the one cutting the wires on the BlackVue and getting it wired into the 12V battery though. So thats why I'm looking for recommendations for a professional installer who's had experience with Teslas.

Reactions: sakimano
Would you mind posting some pictures of how it looks after the installation?

On their website it looks like they charge $100 CAD for 2CH installation or $60 CAD for a 1CH cam. Is that what they charged you @setipoo?

I have an appointment booked with them to install mine on Fri.

Price quoted was $140 + HST + onsite fee (which in my case is $90). There is an extra charge of $40 for Tesla's I was told.

I'll let you know the result once completed.

Installed occurred this morning.

They came to the house and the install took place in my garage. Total time was about 2.5 hours. The guy doing it (Diego) was extremely professional and knowledgeable. He really took his time and insured the install was clean and had minimal impact to the car.

The install itself was amazingly clean - with the exception of an inch or two of wires at the end of each camera there is nothing else visible. I was extremely impressed. He even took 15 mins and walked me through using the cam and its app even though I didn't purchase it via their store.

I would highly recommend them based on my experience.

I have an X and I understand the installation is more difficult because of the windshield channel and the FWDs.
I found a Toronto company who will do it if they come to Ottawa for a project.
Would really like to find a local company who has experience installing the 2Ch dashcam on a Model X.

I want it completely integrated and hidden away. I don't want the Power Magic Battery Pack plugged into my cigarette lighter.

I don't want to be the one cutting the wires on the BlackVue and getting it wired into the 12V battery though. So thats why I'm looking for recommendations for a professional installer who's had experience with Teslas.
It doesn’t plug into the cigarette lighter. It plugs into the frunk light. Yes, you will have to splice the wires but it’s quite simple. All the wires are hidden under the headliner and the frunk plastic covers.

It doesn’t plug into the cigarette lighter. It plugs into the frunk light. Yes, you will have to splice the wires but it’s quite simple. All the wires are hidden under the headliner and the frunk plastic covers.

The post that you’re quoting was replying to was in response to someone suggesting that I get the Power Magic Battery bundle, which is plugged into the cigarette lighter (see screenshot from the Blackvue website). I was responding saying that I didn’t want to do that, but instead hardwire it (although I don’t feel comfortable splicing any wires myself which is the whole reason I started this thread).

61AFD525-8BB1-47AC-96D2-64267AF0681D.jpeg

The post that you’re quoting was replying to was in response to someone suggesting that I get the Power Magic Battery bundle, which is plugged into the cigarette lighter (see screenshot from the Blackvue website). I was responding saying that I didn’t want to do that, but instead hardwire it (although I don’t feel comfortable splicing any wires myself which is the whole reason I started this thread).

View attachment 293103

The battery box costs $150 and only lasts max 12h...