Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam video bucket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found this

Another important safety factor is that the only movement at an entry and an exit of a roundabout is a right turn, thus reducing the potential frequency and severity of accidents compared to accidents typically occurring during left turns and when traffic crosses an intersection in perpendicular directions

on here http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/publicroads/95fall/p95au41.cfm

LOVE them!

Myth busters did a great episode about them - MythBusters test a four-way stop vs. a roundabout. [VIDEO]

Roundabouts(**) in UK are not quite like the Mythbusters test. For a single carriage way road there will usually be 2 lanes onto the Roundabout (and for a dual carriage way there will be 3 or more entry lanes, Left, Straight on and Right). Absent specific lane markings (and converting to European/USA driving-on-the-right) the Right lane, of two, is for for right turn and straight on, and Left lane for Left turn. So when there is sufficient traffic two car are waiting to enter, and the roundabout has comfortably enough room for two lanes around it, so the number of cars "on" the roundabout is higher than the Mythbusters example (which had 20% advantage of a single-lane roundabout over a 4-way stop).

To best of my recollection I've only ever encountered a single-lane 4-way stop when driving in USA, but its a while since I drove there and I only drove in a handful of states, so maybe there are twin/multi-lane 4-way stops?

All just for academic interest only ... for example when I drive in France I find their roundabouts, which are predominantly single-lane, harder to negotiate efficiently - although when I'm there I'm on the "wrong side of the road" so having to look the "wrong way" which probably adds to me inefficiency. I expect foreign drivers, over here and not familiar with it, find our busy multi-lane roundabouts challenging!!

(**) ignoring UK mini-roundabouts, which are a bit like a 4 way stop, but for UK folk who are familiar with roundabouts it provides an answer to the "Who goes next" question; as we don't have 4-way-stop over here a mini roundabout is basically a substitution for traffic lights.

To best of my recollection I've only ever encountered a single-lane 4-way stop when driving in USA, but its a while since I drove there and I only drove in a handful of states, so maybe there are twin/multi-lane 4-way stops?

I can't think of any and I drive on a lot of roads in the northeast US. If the traffic through an intersection warrants that many lanes, they throw a light in. People here are usually too braindead to even handle a four way stop with one lane coming in from each side. They sit there and wave you through even though they were there first.

I can't think of any and I drive on a lot of roads in the northeast US. If the traffic through an intersection warrants that many lanes, they throw a light in. People here are usually too braindead to even handle a four way stop with one lane coming in from each side. They sit there and wave you through even though they were there first.

I can think of two in San Diego where the main road is 4 lanes, but the cross street is only two lanes. There are a couple of streets downtown where the streets are one-way but multi lane (3 or even 4 lanes). I'm pretty sure such intersections exist.

Multi-lane four-way stops are all over in Colorado. Also remember that every intersection with a stop-light should be treated as a four-way stop if the traffic lights aren't working. That causes so many headaches as so many drivers don't follow the rules of the road and go in the correct order.

Around Jefferson County, there are several spaces in Golden and Morrison areas where they've put in traffic circles, some with two lanes. I really like using them but still find many drivers don't know to use them and will try to continue around the circle when their lane should be exiting, etc.

Multi-lane four-way stops are all over in Colorado. Also remember that every intersection with a stop-light should be treated as a four-way stop if the traffic lights aren't working. That causes so many headaches as so many drivers don't follow the rules of the road and go in the correct order.

Around Jefferson County, there are several spaces in Golden and Morrison areas where they've put in traffic circles, some with two lanes. I really like using them but still find many drivers don't know to use them and will try to continue around the circle when their lane should be exiting, etc.

The ones that are right by my house in Morrison Have two lanes going N/S, and one lane going E/W. That one is always and interesting one to watch people screw up on.

This is one that I drive on twice a day.. no instructions anywhere about what lanes you're supposed to be in when you're in.. or even lane markings inside the circle. In fairness, this on on a military installation and they apparently send out emails all the time to remind people how to use it, but not everyone on a base works on a base (i.e., retirees, dependents, guests, etc.)

So, what would your guess be for the rules of this circle? (No guessing if you've been assigned/TDY to Randolph before).

Screen-Shot-2015-11-14-at-8.04.09-AM.jpg

Last edited:
This is one that I drive on twice a day.. no instructions anywhere about what lanes you're supposed to be in when you're in.. or even lane markings inside the circle. In fairness, this on on a military installation and they apparently send out emails all the time to remind people how to use it, but not everyone on a base works on a base (i.e., retirees, dependents, guests, etc.)

So, what would your guess be for the rules of this circle? (No guessing if you've been assigned/TDY to Randolph before).

I'm not sure what you mean about the rules, but you can see the traffic flow from the rubber left on the road.

Edit: Guess at rules, if this is what you mean: Outside lane has to take the next exit, inside lane has to bypass the next exit.

From the north, there are 2 lanes entering the circle at the same time. Then there are no lane markings in the circle. So, who goes where? What if I'm in the inside lane? Which exit am I supposed/allowed to take?

Please see above. Was editing my post as you posted. I think perhaps I got it.

I'd add an additional edit to my edit and add that the exception to the inside lane must bypass the next exit would be the two lane exit at the north, where both lanes may exit.

When entering, you merge into outer lane (or directly into inner lane, if clear), when you want to exit, move to the outer circle and leave (making sure to take the right (in both senses of the word) lane when the road you're taking is divided)). Doesn't look to me like there are any special rules on this one, but I would hate to navigate it for the first time with just a GPS in traffic. I've "missed" circle exits before because the little blue dot on the map lags my position just enough...

Were there lane markings in the circle? Just wondering if they were erased by tire markings, or if this circle gets so little simultaneous traffic that they never bothered.

Were there lane markings in the circle? Just wondering if they were erased by tire markings, or if this circle gets so little simultaneous traffic that they never bothered.

So, just to add a little clarification (then I'll provide answer and stop derailing the dashcam bucket thread) this is a pretty small roundabout. The distance from one exit to the next is about 90 feet. So, there's not a whole lot of time to do much lane changing within the circle. And this is near the main entrance where probably 75% of base population drive through.

I would guess two cars entering from the north-- if you're in the right lane (outside lane), you must take the first exit. If you're in the left lane (and take the inside lane on the circle), you can exit the first exit (or any other), but yielding to any traffic in the "must exit" lane.

IOW, if you want to take any exit except the first, you need to be in the left lane (inside circle lane).and then move right to exit.

Don't mean to spoil the fun, but I think 24 posts off topic is enough. Roundabouts are an interesting topic and it's not easy for me to resist contributing with info on the roundabouts in my area. A mod should move the posts to a new thread where we can continue the discussion.

Here are a couple mediocre videos from March and April that I uploaded just to help us get back on topic.

Last edited by a moderator: